AVN succeeds by helping you & your business succeed.
+100 years in the industry
The Anna's Magic Ball® Arborvitae is a captivating shrub that stands out with its distinctive attributes. It belongs to the evergreen category, ensuring a constant display of greenery throughout the year. This particular variety of Thuja occidentalis is celebrated for its short stature, typically reaching a garden height of 24 to 36 inches, which is complemented by a similar spread of 36 to 48 inches. This balanced growth pattern gives the plant a pleasingly symmetrical, mounded habit.
In terms of foliage, the Anna's Magic Ball® is a kaleidoscope of colors. Its leaves exhibit a striking dual-tone of green and yellow, with the yellow shade being particularly prominent. This vibrant foliage not only adds a splash of color to any garden but also retains its luminosity across seasons, contributing to the plant's year-round appeal.
The Anna's Magic Ball® Arborvitae offers a range of landscaping uses, making it a versatile and attractive choice for various garden designs. Here are some key ways this plant can be utilized in landscaping:
- Container Planting: Its compact size and spherical shape make it an excellent choice for container gardening. It can be a standalone feature in pots or combined with other plants to create a varied display.
- Rock Gardens: The bright yellow foliage of Anna's Magic Ball® adds a splash of color to rock gardens. Its small size and evergreen nature ensure year-round interest in such settings.
- Border Edging: This arborvitae can be planted along garden borders or pathways. Its uniform growth habit and manageable size make it ideal for creating neat, low borders.
- Accent Planting: Its unique color and form make it a great accent plant in mixed beds or gardens. It can draw the eye and add variety to a landscape dominated by green foliage.
- Foundation Plantings: Due to its small size, it can be used around foundations without the worry of it growing too large and causing issues.
- Mass Planting: Planting multiple Anna's Magic Ball® Arborvitaes together can create an eye-catching display of color and texture, especially effective in larger landscapes.
- Troughs and Raised Beds: Its adaptability makes it suitable for troughs and raised beds, where it can be a focal point or part of a themed planting.
- Small Yards and Urban Gardens: Its petite size makes it perfect for smaller yards and urban gardens, where space is at a premium.
In all these uses, Anna's Magic Ball® Arborvitae brings not only visual appeal with its bright, year-round color but also a hardy and low-maintenance nature, making it a favored choice for gardeners and landscape designers.
Planting and caring for Anna's Magic Ball® Arborvitae (Thuja occidentalis) involves several steps to ensure its healthy growth and vibrant appearance:
Choosing the Right Location:
- Light Requirements: This plant thrives in part sun to full sun conditions, needing at least 4-6 hours of sunlight daily.
- Soil Requirements: Prefers deep, well-drained soils and is adaptable to a variety of soil types, but good drainage is crucial.
- Early spring or fall is the ideal time for planting to allow the roots to establish before extreme weather conditions.
- When planting, dig a hole twice as wide as the root ball and just as deep. Gently remove the plant from its container and loosen the roots if they are tightly bound. Place the plant in the hole, ensuring it's at the same depth it was in the pot. Fill the hole with soil and water thoroughly.
- Regular watering is important during the first growing season to establish a deep, extensive root system. Once established, it requires less frequent watering, but ensure it gets enough moisture, especially in extreme heat or if planted in containers.
- Apply a balanced, slow-release fertilizer in early spring to support growth.
- Little pruning is needed due to its natural rounded shape. Light trimming can be done in early summer to maintain shape or size if desired.
- Apply a layer of mulch around the base of the plant to help retain soil moisture and regulate soil temperature.
Pest and Disease Management:
- Anna's Magic Ball® is generally resistant to most pests and diseases. Monitor for any signs of trouble and treat as necessary with appropriate fungicides or insecticides.
- In very cold regions, protect the plant from harsh winter winds and extreme cold by providing some form of windbreak or cover if necessary.
Following these guidelines will help ensure that your Anna's Magic Ball® Arborvitae remains a healthy and vibrant addition to your garden, offering year-round interest with its unique foliage and shape.
- Plant Type: Shrub
- Watering Needs: Prefers deep, well-drained soils. Little pruning is needed, but may be trimmed in early summer.
- Botanical Pronunciation: THOO-ya OK-si-den-TAY-lis
- Deciduous/evergreen: Evergreen
- Growth rate: Moderate
- Average landscape size: Mature size of 2-3’ tall and 3-4’ wide.
- Special features: Fall Interest, Winter Interest, Small or Miniature, Native to North America, Shade Tolerant
- Dramatic Foliage: Bright yellow foliage throughout the year
- Foliage color: Green and Yellow
- Blooms: Grown for Foliage
- Flower attributes: Not applicable
- Garden style: Contemporary, Cottage, Rustic
- Design Ideas: Ideal for perennial beds, rock gardens, troughs, and containers. Its compact size makes it suitable for smaller yards and gardens. Can be used as a standalone feature or in groups for landscape projects.
- Companion Plants: Works well with a variety of perennials and other shrubs that appreciate similar light and soil conditions.
Interested in a particular plant or have questions?
Please don't hesitate to contact us via this form or email, and we will reply as soon as possible.