AVN succeeds by helping you & your business succeed.
+100 years in the industry
The Arctic Fire® Red Dogwood is a celebration of nature's vibrancy, even in the coldest months. Its most distinguishing feature, the luminous red stems, serve as a beacon of warmth during winter's chill, making gardens come alive with their fiery hue. This isn't just a plant; it's winter's floral torchbearer.
But the beauty of this shrub goes beyond its appearance. It boasts an incredible adaptability, thriving in diverse soil conditions, from well-drained plots to those less forgiving. Its shade tolerance is another commendable attribute, allowing it to flourish in parts of the garden that other plants might find challenging.
Furthermore, the Arctic Fire® isn't just about aesthetics. It's hardy, resilient, and with a compact stature, making it suitable for both expansive landscapes and smaller gardens. Whether you're a gardening enthusiast looking for a winter statement piece or someone seeking a low-maintenance addition, this plant's attributes make it a top contender.
- Winter Focal Point: Its bright red stems make it a striking focal point in a winter landscape, especially when contrasted against snow or dark foliage.
- Border Planting: Due to its compact size, it serves as an excellent border or hedge plant, defining boundaries while adding a touch of vibrancy.
- Mixed Shrubbery: Integrate it into a mixed shrub bed to add a pop of color and height variance, especially during the colder months when color can be sparse.
- Container Gardens: Its adaptable nature makes it suitable for container gardening, allowing even those with patios or balconies to enjoy its beauty.
- Mass Planting: Planting multiple Arctic Fire® Red Dogwoods together can create a mesmerizing sea of red, especially striking in larger landscapes.
- Shade Gardens: Given its shade tolerance, it's a brilliant addition to parts of the garden that might not get as much sunlight, ensuring color and life even in dimmer areas.
- Cut Flower Arrangements: Harvest its stems to add a unique touch to floral arrangements, especially during the holiday season.
- Natural Barriers: Use it as a natural screen or barrier, benefiting from both its aesthetic appeal and practical function.
- Bird Attraction: The berries it produces can attract birds, adding another dimension of life to your garden.
- Location Selection: While the Arctic Fire® Red Dogwood is adaptable, it thrives best in locations with partial sun to shade. However, it can also handle full sun.
- Soil Preparation: This plant is not overly picky but prefers well-draining soil. Enriching the soil with compost or organic matter can boost its growth.
- Planting Depth: Dig a hole twice as wide as the plant's root ball and of similar depth. Place the plant in, ensuring the top of the root ball is level with the ground surface.
- Spacing: For optimal growth and spread, maintain a spacing of 48-60 inches between each plant.
- Watering: After planting, water generously to settle the soil.
Maintenance and Care:
- Pruning: To achieve the best red color on the stems, consider pruning. The most vibrant red appears on one- and two-year-old stems. Older stems might turn brown and corky. To maintain the vivid display:
- Cut the entire plant back to short stubs every other year.
- Alternatively, remove one-third of the oldest stems annually.
- Fertilization: In early spring, if desired, apply a granular fertilizer formulated for trees and shrubs. This should coincide with pruning time.
- Watering: The Arctic Fire® Red Dogwood has average water needs. Ensure it receives consistent moisture, especially during dry spells.
- Pest and Disease: Fortunately, this variety is deer-resistant. However, always keep an eye out for common pests and diseases that might affect shrubs, and treat them promptly.
- Winter Care: While it's hardy in colder zones, mulching around the base can provide added protection against severe frost.
The Arctic Fire® Red Dogwood is a fairly low-maintenance plant, but with the right care, it can remain a vibrant and robust part of your garden for years to come. Whether you're a novice or seasoned gardener, understanding its care needs ensures it thrives in its full glory.
- Plant Type: Shrub
- Shrub Type: Deciduous
- Height: Ranges between 26-60 inches, making it versatile for various landscaping needs.
- Habit: Upright growth habit, ensuring it stands tall and prominent in garden arrangements.
- Spread: With a spread of 24-36 inches, it provides ample coverage without overwhelming surrounding plants.
- Flower Color: Blooms with elegant white flowers, offering a serene contrast to its fiery stems.
- Foliage Colors: Features a lush green foliage, which complements its vivid stem color.
- Light Requirements: Adaptable to a range of lighting conditions, from part sun to full sun, allowing flexibility in planting location.
- Hardiness Zone: Thrives in zones 3-9, showcasing its robustness and adaptability to various climatic conditions.
Interested in a particular plant or have questions?
Please don't hesitate to contact us via this form or email, and we will reply as soon as possible.