AVN succeeds by helping you & your business succeed.
+100 years in the industry
Discover More Information On BananAppeal® Small Anise Tree
This compact, well-behaved anise tree has golden-yellow foliage and keeps a nice, mounded form as it ages and really stands out at retail. Leaves are wider than 'Florida Sunshine' and it's an improved grower in production. Unlike 'Florida Sunshine,' BananAppeal® doesn't send out long gangly shoots, and plants are more compact and disease resistant. With anise-scented foliage, it is a perfect accent plant in shade gardens, maintaining its small statue and luminescent yellow-gold foliage. We have observed no suckers to date.
The BananAppeal® Small Anise Tree is a unique and intriguing hybrid plant, known for its compact size, appealing aroma, and distinct foliage. This versatile tree has become increasingly popular among gardening enthusiasts who desire a low-maintenance, yet eye-catching, addition to their gardens. As a fusion between the banana tree and the anise tree, it combines the most attractive qualities of both plants to create a truly remarkable specimen.
The BananAppeal® Small Anise Tree typically reaches a height of 3 to 4 feet, making it ideal for small gardens or urban environments with limited space. Its growth habit is compact and tidy, forming an appealing, rounded shape that adds structure and interest to the landscape. The tree's leaves are reminiscent of the banana tree, with a long, elliptical shape and vibrant green hue. These large, lush leaves lend the tree a tropical appearance, creating a striking contrast with the more traditional plants found in many gardens.
One of the standout features of the BananAppeal® Small Anise Tree is its captivating aroma. The tree produces small, star-shaped flowers with an intoxicating scent that evokes the sweet, spicy fragrance of anise. These delicate blossoms emerge in clusters during the late spring and summer months, attracting pollinators such as bees and butterflies. As the flowers give way to fruit, the tree continues to hold interest, with the banana-like fruits displaying a beautiful yellow hue when ripe.
Despite its exotic appearance, the BananAppeal® Small Anise Tree is relatively hardy and can withstand a range of climatic conditions. It prefers well-draining soil and a sunny to partially shaded location, where it can bask in dappled sunlight for optimal growth. Once established, this tree is drought-tolerant and requires minimal care, making it a perfect choice for gardeners seeking a low-maintenance, yet stunning, focal point.
The BananAppeal® Small Anise Tree is a remarkable hybrid plant that offers the best of both worlds: the lush, tropical foliage of the banana tree and the alluring fragrance of the anise tree. Its compact size, low maintenance requirements, and captivating features make it an ideal addition to any garden, particularly those with limited space or in urban environments.
The BananAppeal® Small Anise Tree is a versatile and attractive plant that offers a multitude of landscaping uses. Its compact size, tropical foliage, and appealing aroma make it an ideal choice for various garden settings and design styles. Here are some popular landscaping uses for this unique hybrid plant:
- Focal point: The striking appearance of the BananAppeal® Small Anise Tree makes it an excellent focal point in the garden. Its vibrant green leaves and rounded growth habit create a strong visual impact, drawing the eye and adding interest to any space.
- Tropical-themed gardens: Due to its banana-like foliage and exotic appearance, the BananAppeal® Small Anise Tree is a perfect addition to tropical-themed gardens. It can be used to create an oasis-like atmosphere, bringing a sense of lushness and warmth to outdoor spaces.
- Mixed borders: Incorporate the BananAppeal® Small Anise Tree into mixed borders alongside other flowering plants, shrubs, and ornamental grasses. Its unique foliage and delicate flowers provide a stunning contrast against more traditional plants, adding depth and texture to the landscape.
- Container gardening: The compact size of the BananAppeal® Small Anise Tree makes it suitable for container gardening. Plant it in a large pot or planter and place it on a patio, balcony, or near an entrance to enjoy its captivating fragrance and striking appearance up close.
- Privacy screens and hedges: Plant several BananAppeal® Small Anise Trees in a row to create a natural privacy screen or hedge. Their dense foliage and uniform growth habit provide an effective barrier, while the sweet fragrance of the flowers adds an extra layer of sensory appeal.
- Wildlife gardens: The fragrant flowers of the BananAppeal® Small Anise Tree attract pollinators such as bees, butterflies, and hummingbirds, making it a valuable addition to wildlife-friendly gardens. Plant it alongside other nectar-rich plants to create a haven for these beneficial creatures.
- Meditation or sensory gardens: Include the BananAppeal® Small Anise Tree in meditation or sensory gardens, where its delightful fragrance can enhance relaxation and mindfulness. The rustling sound of its large leaves in the breeze adds another calming element to the space.
The BananAppeal® Small Anise Tree is a versatile and attractive plant that can be utilized in various landscaping applications. Its unique appearance, appealing aroma, and compact size make it a valuable addition to many garden styles and settings, from tropical-themed gardens to container plantings and privacy screens.
Planting & Care
Planting and caring for the BananAppeal® Small Anise Tree is relatively straightforward, making it a popular choice for gardeners of varying skill levels. Here is a guide to planting and caring for this unique hybrid plant:
- Location: Choose a location with well-draining soil and access to full sun or partial shade. The BananAppeal® Small Anise Tree thrives in dappled sunlight, which can protect its foliage from scorching while still providing adequate light for growth.
- Soil: The tree prefers slightly acidic to neutral soil (pH 6.0-7.0). Amend the planting site with organic matter, such as compost or well-rotted manure, to improve soil structure and fertility.
- Planting: Dig a hole twice as wide and as deep as the root ball of the tree. Gently remove the tree from its container, taking care not to damage the roots. Place the tree in the hole, ensuring that the top of the root ball is level with the surrounding soil. Backfill the hole with the excavated soil, gently firming it around the roots to eliminate air pockets.
- Watering: Water the tree thoroughly after planting to help settle the soil and establish good root contact. Keep the soil evenly moist but not waterlogged during the first growing season, as the tree establishes its root system.
- Watering: Once established, the BananAppeal® Small Anise Tree is moderately drought-tolerant. However, it is essential to provide adequate water during dry spells to maintain its lush appearance. Water the tree deeply and less frequently, allowing the soil to dry out slightly between waterings.
- Fertilizing: Apply a balanced, slow-release fertilizer in early spring to promote healthy growth and flowering. Follow the manufacturer's instructions for application rates and methods.
- Pruning: Minimal pruning is required for the BananAppeal® Small Anise Tree, as it naturally forms a rounded, compact shape. Prune any dead, damaged, or crossing branches in late winter or early spring, before new growth begins. Lightly shape the tree, if desired, to maintain its size and form.
- Mulching: Apply a 2-3 inch layer of organic mulch around the base of the tree to help conserve soil moisture, suppress weeds, and maintain a consistent soil temperature. Keep the mulch a few inches away from the trunk to prevent rot and pest issues.
- Pest and disease control: The BananAppeal® Small Anise Tree is relatively pest and disease-resistant. However, monitor the tree for signs of common issues, such as aphids or fungal infections. Address any problems promptly using appropriate cultural or chemical control methods.
By following these planting and care guidelines, you can enjoy the beauty, fragrance, and unique attributes of the BananAppeal® Small Anise Tree in your garden for years to come.
BananAppeal® Small Anise Tree
- Height: 3-4'
- Width: 3-4'
- Hardiness Zone: 7-9
- Heat Zone: 9
- Exposure: Full Sun to Part Shade
- Habit: Upright, Rounded
- Flower Color: Yellow
- Foliage: Green
Interested in a particular plant or have questions?
Please don't hesitate to contact us via this form or email, and we will reply as soon as possible.