AVN succeeds by helping you & your business succeed.
+100 years in the industry
This low-maintenance fescue adds some glamour to your outdoor locations. In the springtime, thin blades of green emerge from the little clump. The compact Beyond Blue fescue features steely blue foliage, and its wheat-like flowers extend over the crown. As the plumes mature, they turn to a shade of brown. However, the real showstopper is the striking blue foliage. The Beyond Blue fescue keeps its color and shape throughout the year.
The Beyond Blue Fescue makes an impressive visual impact on any space, especially those smaller gardens. If you have a modest outdoor container garden, you may want to add a single Beyond Blue fescue to a pot. You can also use several containers to define the border of a balcony or patio. However, these plants are not indoor plants.
You can plant the Beyond Blue fescue in a long row to form a soft edge for a garden bed. When you use them along a path, these fescues can create a sophisticated walkway. To make a lush mass planting, you want to space the Beyond Blue fescues about 12 inches apart from the center of each plant. Mulch should be added to those newly installed plants. You need to watch out for weeds until the grasses grow together.
The Beyond Blue maintains its color and shape all year. This fescue grass is an ideal option for a groundcover application. If you want to create a visually stunning landscape, make sure to fill those bare areas with the Beyond Blue. When planted in a checkerboard pattern, you can give your landscape some added style. You can see how this blue fescue grass makes a tremendous impression on those expansive spaces.
The metallic blue blades stand out with this fescue. A new mulched bed of shrubs and evergreens can benefit from the addition of the Beyond Blue. For those sunny areas, this fescue shines in the brilliant sunshine throughout your outdoor spaces. Since the Beyond Blue does not need supplemental watering, you should think about adding this fescue to a rock garden or xeriscape.
The Beyond Blue fescue can thrive in USDA hardiness zones 4 to 8. If you are planting this fescue in your landscape, it needs at least six hours of sunlight per day. For a richer color, the Beyond Blue requires abundant sun. However, the Beyond Blue can survive in some partial shady spots, but the color will not be as vibrant. These ornamental grasses do prefer dry to medium soils. You do not want to plant this grass in areas that hold large amounts of water. If you suffer from poor drainage, then you might want to create an 18-inch planting mound for this grass.
During Beyond Blue’s first year, you want to pay attention to its watering schedule. It needs to be watered on a regular basis until it has established. Once the plant has matured, it does not require much moisture. If your Beyond Blue fescue is growing in a container, you must continue to water this plant regularly. For those dry climates, you need to keep the roots moist.
In the winter, you can leave Beyond Blue’s foliage for the season. However, it is a great idea to cut all the stems down to a few inches from the ground. Before any new growth emerges from the ground, pruning should be done in the late winter or early spring.
You will want to add this fine-textured fescue grass to your outdoor spaces. With good drainage and full sunshine, it needs minimal care from you. You can enjoy the look of the blue leaves and light plumes throughout the year. Arbor Valley Nursery can help you bring this stunning blue fescue home to your clients and businesses. If you want to learn more about this fescue or other products in our inventory, please fill out the contact form.
- Plant Type: Grass
- Watering Needs: Water regularly – weekly, or more often in extreme heat.
- Botanical Pronunciation: fes-TEW-kuh GLAW-kuh
- Deciduous/evergreen: Semi-Evergreen
- Growth rate: Fast
- Average landscape size: Quickly reaches 8 to 12 in. tall, 12-16” tall and wide.
- Special features: Clump Forming, Dense Habit, Dramatic Foliage Color, Easy Care, Extreme Cold Hardiness, Tolerates Poor Soils, Waterwise, Fast Growing, Tolerates Urban Pollution
- Dramatic Foliage: Color, Easy Care
- Foliage color: Silver-blue
- Blooms: Mid-Summer
- Flower color: Brown
- Flower attributes: howy Flowers
- Garden style: Asian/Zen, Mediterranean, Rustic, Xeric
- Design Ideas: Blue Fescue is the best small ornamental grass. Its silver-blue coloring and fine texture is appreciated in both Asian gardens and the drought-resistant landscape. Most often planted near rock gardens, around landscape boulders and in dry streambeds. Does equally well as a formal edging plant or in a mass for groundcover effect.
- Companion Plants: Sedum, Pennisetum orientale, Geranium, Carex comans bronzed leaved
Interested in a particular plant or have questions?
Please don't hesitate to contact us via this form or email, and we will reply as soon as possible.