AVN succeeds by helping you & your business succeed.
+100 years in the industry
Bubblegum Pink™ Phlox (Phlox paniculata 'DDitomfra') is a perennial flowering plant known for its eye-catching, vibrant pink flowers that create a striking visual impact in gardens and landscapes. This particular cultivar has gained popularity among gardeners and plant enthusiasts for its remarkable attributes, which include its stunning color, delightful fragrance, and hardy nature.
The Bubblegum Pink™ Phlox typically grows to a height of 18-22" and spreads up to 24" wide, making it an ideal plant for borders, beds, and cottage-style gardens. Its upright, sturdy stems are clad with narrow, lance-shaped, deep green leaves that create a perfect backdrop for the vibrant pink blossoms. The flowers, which bloom from mid-summer to early fall, are borne in dense, rounded panicles, and have a tubular shape with a flared, flat face.
One of the most notable features of the Bubblegum Pink™ Phlox is its resistance to powdery mildew, a common fungal disease that plagues many other phlox varieties. This cultivar's resistance makes it a low-maintenance plant that requires minimal intervention to thrive, thus making it an excellent choice for novice and experienced gardeners alike.
In addition to its beauty, the Bubblegum Pink™ Phlox is a magnet for pollinators, including bees, butterflies, and hummingbirds. The plant's nectar-rich flowers provide a valuable food source for these creatures, contributing to a healthy ecosystem in your garden. Moreover, the delightful fragrance emitted by the flowers is yet another reason to include this stunning plant in your outdoor space.
To ensure the best growth and flowering, Bubblegum Pink™ Phlox should be planted in well-draining soil and receive full sun to partial shade. Regular watering is essential, especially during dry periods, to keep the plant healthy and vibrant. Deadheading spent blooms will encourage continuous flowering throughout the season and help maintain the plant's overall appearance.
The Bubblegum Pink™ Phlox is an attractive, low-maintenance plant with striking pink flowers, resistance to powdery mildew, and a penchant for attracting pollinators. Its hardy nature and stunning appearance make it a welcome addition to any garden, providing both visual appeal and ecological benefits.
Bubblegum Pink™ Phlox, with its vibrant pink flowers and hardy nature, is a versatile plant with numerous landscaping uses. Its eye-catching color and delightful fragrance make it an attractive addition to various garden settings. Some popular landscaping uses for this plant include:
- Border plantings: Bubblegum Pink™ Phlox serves as an excellent border plant, creating a vibrant edge along pathways, fences, or property lines. Its medium height allows it to blend well with other perennials, while the pink flowers add a pop of color and visual interest.
- Cottage gardens: This cultivar is well-suited for traditional cottage garden designs, where its bright blossoms complement a mix of other colorful perennials and annuals. The plant's dense, rounded flower clusters give it a charming, old-fashioned appeal.
- Pollinator gardens: Bubblegum Pink™ Phlox is an ideal choice for pollinator gardens, as its nectar-rich flowers attract bees, butterflies, and hummingbirds. Including this plant in your landscape will contribute to a thriving ecosystem and promote biodiversity.
- Cut flower gardens: The showy, long-lasting flowers of Bubblegum Pink™ Phlox make it an excellent choice for cut flower gardens. The vibrant pink blooms and pleasant fragrance can be enjoyed in fresh bouquets or as dried arrangements.
- Mass plantings: Planting Bubblegum Pink™ Phlox en masse creates a stunning visual effect, especially when in full bloom. Groupings of this plant can be used as a focal point in a garden or to fill large areas with color and texture.
- Container gardening: Bubblegum Pink™ Phlox can be grown in containers, either as a standalone plant or mixed with other annuals and perennials. Its upright growth habit and vivid flowers make it an attractive centerpiece for patio or balcony gardens.
- Slopes and erosion control: The plant's dense root system helps stabilize soil on slopes and embankments, preventing erosion while adding a splash of color to these often challenging areas.
To maximize the beauty and functionality of Bubblegum Pink™ Phlox in your landscape, plant it in well-draining soil with access to full sun or partial shade. Ensure regular watering and deadhead spent blooms to encourage continuous flowering throughout the season. With proper care, this stunning plant will enhance the aesthetic and ecological value of your outdoor space.
Planting and caring for Bubblegum Pink™ Phlox is relatively simple, making it an excellent choice for both novice and experienced gardeners. By following these guidelines, you can ensure your plant will thrive and provide stunning, long-lasting blooms.
- Site selection: Choose a location with well-draining soil and access to full sun or partial shade. Bubblegum Pink™ Phlox prefers at least six hours of sunlight each day for optimal growth and flowering. In hotter climates, providing some afternoon shade can help protect the plant from excessive heat.
- Soil preparation: Prepare the planting site by loosening the soil to a depth of about 12-15 inches. Mix in organic matter, such as compost or well-rotted manure, to improve soil fertility and drainage.
- Planting: Dig a hole about twice the width of the plant's root ball and slightly deeper. Gently remove the plant from its container, loosen the roots if necessary, and place it in the hole. Ensure the top of the root ball is level with the surrounding soil. Fill in the hole with soil, pressing down gently to eliminate air pockets. Water the plant thoroughly to help settle the soil.
- Spacing: Space Bubblegum Pink™ Phlox plants about 18-24 inches apart to allow for proper air circulation and growth. Good airflow around the plants helps reduce the risk of fungal diseases, such as powdery mildew.
- Watering: Keep the soil consistently moist, especially during dry periods. Ensure the plant receives about 1 inch of water per week, either from rainfall or supplemental watering. Avoid overhead watering to prevent wetting the foliage, as this can encourage the development of diseases.
- Mulching: Apply a layer of organic mulch, such as shredded bark or compost, around the base of the plant to help retain moisture, regulate soil temperature, and suppress weeds. Keep the mulch a few inches away from the plant's stem to prevent potential rot issues.
- Fertilizing: Apply a balanced, slow-release fertilizer in early spring to promote healthy growth and abundant flowering. Follow the package instructions for the correct application rate.
- Deadheading: Remove spent blooms throughout the growing season to encourage continuous flowering and maintain the plant's appearance. This also helps prevent the plant from self-seeding and spreading.
- Pruning: Cut back the foliage to about 2 inches above the ground in late fall or early spring. This promotes healthy, vigorous growth and helps keep the plant tidy.
- Pest and disease management: Although Bubblegum Pink™ Phlox is resistant to powdery mildew, it's essential to monitor the plant for any signs of pests or diseases. Treat any issues promptly with appropriate organic or chemical controls, as necessary.
By following these planting and care guidelines, your Bubblegum Pink™ Phlox will flourish, providing your garden with vibrant color, delightful fragrance, and beneficial pollinator support.
- Height: 18-22"
- Width: 18-24"
- Hardiness Zone: 3-8
- Heat Zone: 7
- Exposure: Full Sun
- Habit: Upright
- Flower Color: Pink
Interested in a particular plant or have questions?
Please don't hesitate to contact us via this form or email, and we will reply as soon as possible.