AVN succeeds by helping you & your business succeed.
+100 years in the industry
The Campfire Rose, a member of the Rosa genus, is a delightful plant renowned for its multicolored, vibrant blossoms and robust growth. It is a cultivar of the Shrub Rose, originating from the family of Rosaceae, and it captivates the attention of many gardeners with its dazzling aesthetics and resilience.
Campfire Rose exhibits stunning flower clusters that burst into an array of bright colors. The flowers usually open up in shades of yellow and gradually transform to pink and then deep red as they mature, mirroring the mesmerizing color shift in a campfire – hence its name. The flowers are relatively medium in size, about 2-3 inches in diameter, displaying a moderate number of petals. It blooms recurrently throughout the growing season, creating a constantly changing color spectacle in your garden.
Campfire Rose plants typically reach a height of 3 feet and spread outwards up to 3 feet, making them suitable for a range of landscaping uses, from hedging to standalone features. The plant's leaves are a beautiful glossy green, providing a pleasing contrast to the bright blossoms. It demonstrates a bushy growth habit, with thorny stems that require care during handling and pruning.
As for its hardiness, the Campfire Rose shows exceptional resilience, and it's known to withstand harsh winters. It falls under the USDA Hardiness Zone 3-7, which speaks volumes about its ability to tolerate cold temperatures. Despite its durability, the Campfire Rose, like all roses, prefers well-drained soil and a location with full sun exposure for optimal growth. It has good disease resistance, making it an excellent choice for beginner gardeners and those looking for low-maintenance rose varieties.
Campfire Roses, with their vibrant and multicolored blossoms and lush foliage, have versatile uses in landscaping and garden designs. Here are some popular ways to incorporate them into your outdoor space:
- Border Planting: Campfire Roses are excellent for border planting due to their compact, bushy growth and vibrant colors. They can edge walkways, driveways, or fence lines, providing a dazzling, continually changing color display throughout the blooming season.
- Foundation Planting: They can serve as foundation plants, adorning the base of a home or building. Their bright colors can dramatically improve the visual appeal of your property and can disguise the often bland lower portions of walls or fences.
- Hedges and Screens: Given their dense growth habit and thorny stems, Campfire Roses can be planted closely together to form effective and visually stunning hedges or screens. They can provide privacy, mark boundaries, and act as windbreaks.
- Mixed Shrub Borders: Campfire Roses are often used in mixed shrub borders for color and textural variety. They can be paired with other flowering or non-flowering shrubs to create a diverse, visually appealing landscape.
- Containers: Due to their moderate size, Campfire Roses can also be planted in large containers or pots, which can be placed on patios, balconies, or entrances for a splash of color.
- Mass Planting: For a striking effect, mass plantings of Campfire Roses can create a sea of color in large garden spaces. They can be used in public gardens, parks, or larger residential landscapes for this purpose.
- Rose Gardens: Naturally, they're perfect for rose gardens, whether as a stand-alone variety or mixed with other roses. Their unique color-changing blossoms make them a focal point in any rose garden.
the use of Campfire Roses in your landscape design can bring a unique combination of color, texture, and resilience to your garden. Their striking, ever-changing blossoms and robust growth make them a versatile choice for a variety of landscaping scenarios. Whether you're a novice or an experienced gardener, incorporating Campfire Roses into your green space will not only create a visually captivating environment but also allow you to experience the satisfaction of cultivating one of nature's most beloved plants.
Planting and caring for Campfire Roses involves understanding their needs in terms of sunlight, soil, water, fertilizing, pruning, and pest control. Here are the key aspects of caring for these stunning shrubs:
- Planting: Select a location that receives at least six hours of direct sunlight each day. While these roses can tolerate partial shade, full sunlight will promote the healthiest growth and best bloom production. The soil should be well-draining to prevent root rot. It's beneficial to add organic matter, like compost, to the planting hole to enrich the soil. Space the plants around 2-3 feet apart to allow sufficient room for growth.
- Watering: Water your Campfire Roses deeply and regularly, especially during dry periods. The soil should be kept moist but not waterlogged. Overwatering can lead to root diseases. It's best to water in the morning to allow the leaves to dry throughout the day, reducing the risk of fungal diseases.
- Fertilizing: Feed your roses with a slow-release, balanced rose fertilizer in early spring when new growth appears, and again in mid-summer to support continued blooming. Always follow the manufacturer's instructions when applying fertilizer.
- Pruning: Prune Campfire Roses in early spring before they break dormancy. Remove any dead or damaged wood and thin out the center of the plant to promote air circulation, which can help prevent disease. Always use sharp, clean tools to make your cuts.
- Pest and Disease Control: Although Campfire Roses are known for their disease resistance, it's still essential to keep an eye out for common rose pests like aphids and diseases like black spot. If problems occur, use an appropriate pesticide or fungicide, ensuring it's safe for use on roses.
- Winter Care: Despite their hardiness, in colder zones, Campfire Roses will benefit from some winter protection. You can mound soil or mulch around the base of the plant to protect the root system when temperatures drop.
Taking care of your Campfire Roses by providing them with the right conditions and regular maintenance will ensure you enjoy their fiery color display season after season. These durable and beautiful shrubs can truly transform any garden into a vibrant, eye-catching paradise.
- Height: 3'
- Width: 3'
- Hardiness Zone: 3-7
- Heat Zone: 7
- Exposure: Full Sun
- Habit: Upright, Mounded
- Flower Color: Dark Pink
- Foliage: Dark Green
Interested in a particular plant or have questions?
Please don't hesitate to contact us via this form or email, and we will reply as soon as possible.