AVN succeeds by helping you & your business succeed.
+100 years in the industry
- Cold Hardy: This plant is exceptionally cold-tolerant and can thrive in USDA hardiness zones 2 through 7, making it suitable for regions with harsh winter temperatures.
- Colorful Foliage: The Cesky Gold® dwarf birch is known for its vibrant foliage. New growth emerges in hues of yellow, red, and orange, and the foliage maintains a cheerful chartreuse color throughout the growing season.
- Deer Resistant: It is resistant to deer browsing, making it a good choice for gardens in areas where deer are common and might otherwise damage plants.
- Compact Size: This shrub typically reaches a height of 24 to 48 inches and has a spread of 18 to 36 inches, making it a versatile addition to various garden settings.
- Part Sun to Sun: It thrives in part sun to full sun conditions, meaning it requires at least 4 to 6 hours of direct sunlight daily to grow and flourish.
- Low Maintenance: Once established in the landscape, the Cesky Gold® dwarf birch is relatively low-maintenance. It can be pruned and shaped to your preference or left to grow naturally.
- Early Spring Blooms: In early spring, this shrub produces brownish blooms on old wood, adding an extra element of interest to your garden.
- Versatile Uses: It can be used in various ways in your landscape, including as a border plant, container filler, edging plant, or as a specimen or focal point to draw attention.
- Drought Tolerant: While it thrives in average water conditions, it can withstand periods of drought once it's well-established.
- Upright Habit: The Cesky Gold® dwarf birch has an upright growth habit, which contributes to its fan-like appearance when allowed to grow naturally.
Betula 'Cesky Gold,' also known as Cesky Gold® dwarf birch provides versatile nature and striking foliage make it a valuable asset in garden design. One popular use is as a border plant. Planted along the edges of flower beds or garden borders, Cesky Gold® creates a vibrant and textured border, accentuating the garden's boundaries with its colorful leaves and neat growth habit. This shrub's compact size ensures that it won't overwhelm the space but rather provides a well-defined edge that enhances the overall aesthetic.
Another excellent landscaping application is as a focal point or specimen plant. Cesky Gold® can be strategically placed in a prominent location within your garden, where its vivid foliage and unique growth habit draw the eye and serve as a captivating centerpiece. Whether positioned near a patio, at the center of a garden bed, or amidst a rock garden, this dwarf birch's presence adds depth and character to your landscape design, making it a standout feature that delights throughout the seasons.
Cesky Gold® dwarf birch is generally low-maintenance, but there are a few care considerations to keep in mind. Regular pruning is optional but can be done in the spring to maintain a desired size or to remove any wild branches or dead wood. It's important not to prune too late in the season, as Cesky Gold® blooms on old wood. Fertilizing is typically not necessary, as long as the plant is growing in healthy soil. However, if you notice signs of nutrient deficiency, you can apply a balanced, slow-release fertilizer in early spring. Keep an eye out for pests or diseases, though this shrub is known for its resilience against common garden problems. Finally, in northern zones, it's advisable to mulch the plant during its first winter if it was planted in the fall to provide extra protection from the cold.
With proper planting and care, your Cesky Gold® dwarf birch will reward you with its vibrant foliage and ease of maintenance, enhancing the beauty of your garden for years to come.
- Botanical Name: Betula 'Cesky Gold'
- Form: Shrub
- Sun Exposure: Part Sun to Sun
- Height/Habit: 24 - 48 Inches
- Spread: 18 - 36 Inches
- Spacing: 24 - 40 Inches
- Hardiness Zone: 2a, 2b, 3a, 3b, 4a, 4b, 5a, 5b, 6a, 6b, 7a, 7b
- Flowering Date: Early Spring
- Planting Instructions: Plant at the same level as it is in the container, firm the soil around it, and water thoroughly.
- Winter Care: Minimal winter care is required.
- Growth Rate: Medium
- Shipping Season: Spring
- Flower Color: Brown
- Foliage Colors: Green, Orange, Yellow
- Foliage Shade: Yellow
- Habit: Upright
- Container Role: Filler
- Maintenance Category: Easy
- Blooms On: Old Wood
- Uses: Border Plant, Container, Edging Plant, Landscape, Mass Planting, Specimen or Focal Point
- Maintenance Notes: This carefree plant demands little maintenance once it is established in the landscape. It can be pruned and shaped or left to grow naturally.
- Soil Requirement: Well-drained, moisture-retentive soil.
Interested in a particular plant or have questions?
Please don't hesitate to contact us via this form or email, and we will reply as soon as possible.