AVN succeeds by helping you & your business succeed.
+100 years in the industry
The Chubby Hubby™ Japanese Holly (Ilex crenata) is a compact, evergreen shrub that stands out in the horticultural world for its unique appearance and easy-to-maintain nature. Native to Japan, Korea, and eastern China, this particular cultivar of Ilex crenata has gained immense popularity among gardening enthusiasts and landscape designers for its versatile and aesthetic qualities.
One of the most distinctive attributes of the Chubby Hubby™ Japanese Holly is its dense, rounded growth habit. This shrub typically reaches a height of 5 to 7 feet, with a similar spread, making it an excellent choice for low-growing hedges, foundation plantings, or as an accent in mixed borders. Its small, glossy, dark green leaves are evergreen, providing year-round interest and a lush backdrop for other plants in the garden.
The Chubby Hubby™ Japanese Holly is dioecious, meaning that male and female flowers are borne on separate plants. While the small, white flowers are relatively inconspicuous, they attract pollinators like bees and butterflies in late spring. If a male Japanese Holly is planted nearby, female plants will produce small, black, berry-like drupes in the fall. These fruits are not only attractive but also provide a valuable food source for birds and other wildlife.
One of the most appealing characteristics of the Chubby Hubby™ Japanese Holly is its low maintenance requirements. This resilient shrub is relatively pest and disease-resistant, making it a practical choice for gardeners with limited time or experience. It thrives in well-drained, slightly acidic soils and can tolerate a range of light conditions from full sun to partial shade. Additionally, its slow growth rate means that it requires minimal pruning to maintain its shape and size.
The Chubby Hubby™ Japanese Holly is a remarkable plant with a host of desirable attributes. Its compact size, evergreen foliage, and low maintenance requirements make it an ideal choice for various garden settings, whether as a hedge, foundation planting, or an accent in mixed borders. Its modest yet charming flowers and attractive fruits also contribute to its status as a valuable addition to any landscape.
The Chubby Hubby™ Japanese Holly offers a variety of landscaping uses due to its compact size, evergreen nature, and low maintenance requirements. Here are some popular applications for this versatile shrub in landscape design:
- Low-growing hedge: The dense growth habit of the Chubby Hubby™ Japanese Holly makes it an excellent choice for creating low hedges or borders. Its evergreen foliage provides year-round visual interest, while its compact size ensures it won't overwhelm the surrounding landscape.
- Foundation planting: Placing Chubby Hubby™ Japanese Holly shrubs around the foundation of a building can help to soften architectural lines and create a cohesive look. The evergreen leaves offer consistent color and texture throughout the year, while the shrub's compact size ensures it won't obstruct windows or other building features.
- Mixed borders: The Chubby Hubby™ Japanese Holly is a great addition to mixed borders, providing a lush backdrop for other plants. Its glossy, dark green leaves contrast beautifully with colorful flowers, textured foliage, and ornamental grasses, adding depth and visual interest to the garden.
- Mass planting: Planting multiple Chubby Hubby™ Japanese Holly shrubs together in a mass creates an attractive, low-maintenance ground cover. This application is particularly useful on slopes or in areas where erosion control is a concern, as the shrubs' dense root systems help to stabilize the soil.
- Container gardening: The Chubby Hubby™ Japanese Holly's small size and slow growth rate make it an ideal candidate for container gardening. Placed in a pot or planter, it can add a touch of greenery to patios, balconies, or other small outdoor spaces.
- Wildlife gardens: Incorporating Chubby Hubby™ Japanese Holly into a wildlife garden can provide valuable habitat for birds and other small creatures. While the flowers attract pollinators like bees and butterflies, the black berry-like drupes produced by female plants serve as a food source for birds.
- Topiary: Although the Chubby Hubby™ Japanese Holly has a naturally rounded shape, its dense growth and slow growth rate make it suitable for topiary. Skilled gardeners can prune and shape the shrub into a variety of forms, such as balls, cones, or even more intricate designs.
Planting and caring for a Chubby Hubby™ Japanese Holly is relatively straightforward, making it an excellent choice for both novice and experienced gardeners. To ensure your shrub thrives, follow these planting and care guidelines:
- Site selection: Chubby Hubby™ Japanese Holly can tolerate a range of light conditions, from full sun to partial shade. Choose a location that receives at least 4 to 6 hours of sunlight daily. The plant prefers well-drained, slightly acidic soil with a pH of 5.5 to 6.5. Ensure the selected site has good drainage to prevent root rot.
- Planting: The best time to plant a Chubby Hubby™ Japanese Holly is in the early spring or fall. Dig a hole twice as wide and just as deep as the root ball of your plant. Place the root ball in the hole, ensuring that the top of the root ball is level with the surrounding soil. Backfill with the excavated soil, gently firming it around the root ball to eliminate air pockets. Water thoroughly after planting to settle the soil.
- Mulching: Apply a 2- to 3-inch layer of organic mulch, such as wood chips or pine bark, around the base of the plant. This helps to retain soil moisture, regulate soil temperature, and suppress weed growth. Be sure to keep the mulch a few inches away from the stem to prevent rot.
- Watering: Chubby Hubby™ Japanese Holly prefers consistently moist, but not waterlogged, soil. Water the plant deeply once a week during the first growing season, and more often during periods of drought. Adjust the watering frequency based on rainfall and soil moisture levels.
- Fertilizing: Apply a slow-release, acid-forming fertilizer in early spring, following the package instructions for application rates. This will help to maintain the slightly acidic soil conditions that the Chubby Hubby™ Japanese Holly prefers.
- Pruning: The slow growth rate of the Chubby Hubby™ Japanese Holly means it requires minimal pruning to maintain its shape and size. Prune lightly in late winter or early spring to remove any dead, damaged, or crossing branches, and to encourage bushier growth. If desired, the plant can also be shaped into a more formal hedge or topiary.
- Pest and disease control: Chubby Hubby™ Japanese Holly is relatively pest and disease-resistant. However, it's essential to keep an eye out for common issues like scale insects or leaf spot diseases. If a problem is detected, treat it promptly with the appropriate pesticide or fungicide, following the manufacturer's instructions.
The Chubby Hubby™ Japanese Holly is a delightful and adaptable shrub that offers numerous benefits to gardeners and landscapers alike. Its compact size, evergreen foliage, and minimal care requirements make it a perfect choice for various garden applications. By adhering to the planting and care guidelines outlined above, you can create a flourishing and visually appealing outdoor space that features the Chubby Hubby™ Japanese Holly as a standout addition to your landscape.
- Height: 5-7'
- Width: 3-4'
- Hardiness Zone: 6-8
- Heat Zone: 8
- Exposure: Full Sun to Part Shade
- Habit: Upright, Oval
Interested in a particular plant or have questions?
Please don't hesitate to contact us via this form or email, and we will reply as soon as possible.