AVN succeeds by helping you & your business succeed.
+100 years in the industry
Cobalt-n-Gold™ Hypericum, scientifically known as Hypericum kalmianum is a striking and versatile plant, valued for its vibrant cobalt-blue foliage and bright golden-yellow flowers. This hybrid variety is a result of crossbreeding different species of the Hypericum genus, also commonly known as St. John's Wort. The Cobalt-n-Gold™ Hypericum offers a captivating blend of both aesthetic and functional attributes that make it an ideal addition to gardens and landscapes.
One of the most notable features of the Cobalt-n-Gold™ Hypericum is its stunning foliage. The leaves are an intense cobalt-blue hue, which contrasts beautifully with the plant's vibrant golden-yellow flowers. The flowers typically appear in late spring or early summer and continue to bloom throughout the season. Each flower has five petals with numerous stamens, which create a burst of color that attracts pollinators such as bees and butterflies.
The Cobalt-n-Gold™ Hypericum is a compact, deciduous shrub with a rounded, bushy habit. It typically grows to a height of 3-4 feet and spreads out to a width of about 3 feet, making it an excellent choice for borders, hedges, or mass plantings. The plant's dense branching structure provides shelter for small birds and mammals, as well as nesting sites for beneficial insects.
In terms of growing conditions, the Cobalt-n-Gold™ Hypericum is a hardy and adaptable plant that can tolerate a wide range of soil types, from sandy to clay soils. It prefers well-drained soil and thrives in full sun to partial shade. Once established, this plant is drought-tolerant, making it a low-maintenance option for gardeners. It is also resistant to common pests and diseases, further contributing to its easy-care nature.
In addition to its ornamental appeal, the Cobalt-n-Gold™ Hypericum has a long history of medicinal use. Although this particular cultivar may not have the same potency as other St. John's Wort species, the genus as a whole has been used for centuries to treat various ailments, such as mild to moderate depression, inflammation, and skin conditions.
The Cobalt-n-Gold™ Hypericum is a versatile and attractive plant that offers numerous landscaping uses, thanks to its stunning foliage, vibrant flowers, and compact growth habit. Here are some popular ways to incorporate this beautiful shrub into your landscape:
- Borders: The compact size and rounded shape of the Cobalt-n-Gold™ Hypericum make it an ideal choice for planting along borders or walkways, where its striking foliage and flowers can create a visual impact.
- Foundation plantings: Use this attractive shrub as part of your foundation plantings around your home or other structures. It provides a colorful backdrop and can help soften the appearance of buildings.
- Hedges: Plant a row of Cobalt-n-Gold™ Hypericum shrubs to create a low, informal hedge. Its dense branching structure will provide privacy and help define outdoor spaces, while the vibrant colors will add interest throughout the growing season.
- Mass plantings: Use Cobalt-n-Gold™ Hypericum in mass plantings to create a stunning display of color and texture in larger garden areas. The contrast between the cobalt-blue foliage and golden-yellow flowers will create a striking visual effect.
- Mixed shrub borders: Combine the Cobalt-n-Gold™ Hypericum with other shrubs and perennials in a mixed border. Its distinctive foliage and flowers will complement a variety of plant textures and colors, adding depth and interest to your garden design.
- Wildlife gardens: The flowers of the Cobalt-n-Gold™ Hypericum attract pollinators such as bees and butterflies, while the dense branching structure provides shelter for small birds and mammals. Plant this shrub in a wildlife garden to support local biodiversity.
- Container gardening: Due to its compact size, the Cobalt-n-Gold™ Hypericum can also be grown in containers. This makes it a suitable choice for patios, balconies, or other small outdoor spaces where ground planting is not feasible.
- Erosion control: Plant the Cobalt-n-Gold™ Hypericum on slopes or in areas prone to erosion. Its root system will help stabilize the soil and prevent erosion, while its colorful appearance will add visual interest.
Incorporating the Cobalt-n-Gold™ Hypericum into your landscape can provide both aesthetic and functional benefits. Its unique combination of vivid foliage, bright flowers, and adaptable growth habit make it a valuable addition to a wide range of garden settings.
Planting and caring for the Cobalt-n-Gold™ Hypericum is relatively easy, as it is a hardy and low-maintenance plant. Here are some essential steps and tips to ensure your plant thrives and provides a stunning display in your garden:
- Site selection: Choose a location with full sun to partial shade. While the plant can tolerate a range of light conditions, it will produce the most vibrant foliage and flower colors when grown in a sunnier spot.
- Soil preparation: The Cobalt-n-Gold™ Hypericum is adaptable to a wide range of soil types, from sandy to clay soils. However, it prefers well-drained soil. Prior to planting, work organic matter, such as compost or well-rotted manure, into the soil to improve its structure and fertility.
- Planting: Dig a hole that is twice the width and the same depth as the root ball of the plant. Carefully remove the plant from its container, loosen the root ball, and place it in the hole. Backfill the hole with soil, ensuring that the plant's root crown is at the soil level. Gently firm the soil around the base of the plant, and water thoroughly to settle the soil and remove air pockets.
- Watering: Water your newly planted Cobalt-n-Gold™ Hypericum regularly during the first growing season to help establish a deep, extensive root system. Once established, the plant is drought-tolerant and will require less frequent watering. However, it is still essential to provide supplemental water during prolonged dry periods.
- Mulching: Apply a 2-3 inch layer of organic mulch, such as bark chips, shredded leaves, or compost, around the base of the plant. This will help conserve moisture, suppress weeds, and maintain a consistent soil temperature.
- Fertilization: In general, the Cobalt-n-Gold™ Hypericum does not require heavy fertilization. However, a balanced, slow-release fertilizer applied in early spring can promote healthy growth and flowering. Follow the manufacturer's instructions for the appropriate application rate.
- Pruning: Prune the plant in late winter or early spring before new growth begins. Remove any dead, damaged, or crossing branches to maintain the plant's shape and encourage healthy growth. You can also lightly trim the plant to maintain its compact form, but be cautious not to over-prune, as this can reduce flowering.
- Pest and disease management: The Cobalt-n-Gold™ Hypericum is generally resistant to common pests and diseases. However, maintain good sanitation practices, such as removing any fallen leaves or debris around the plant, to minimize the risk of disease. If pests or diseases do occur, treat them promptly with appropriate organic or chemical controls.
By following these planting and care tips, you can ensure that your Cobalt-n-Gold™ Hypericum thrives and adds a striking visual element to your garden or landscape for years to come.
- Height: 2-3'
- Width: 4-5'
- Hardiness Zone: 4-7
- Heat Zone: 7
- Exposure: Full Sun
- Habit: Mounded
- Flower Color: Yellow
- Foliage: Green
Interested in a particular plant or have questions?
Please don't hesitate to contact us via this form or email, and we will reply as soon as possible.