AVN succeeds by helping you & your business succeed.
+100 years in the industry
The Cool Glow™ Lime Nandina, scientifically known as Nandina domestica 'ZhNan102' is an attractive and versatile evergreen shrub that adds a vibrant burst of color to any garden or landscape. With its unique foliage, compact growth habit, and hardiness, it has become a popular choice for gardeners and landscapers alike.
One of the most striking features of the Cool Glow™ Lime Nandina is its foliage. The plant boasts bright, lime-green leaves that remain vibrant throughout the year, giving the plant its distinctive "cool glow." The new foliage emerges with an eye-catching chartreuse hue, gradually maturing to a deeper green color. In the cooler months, the leaves may take on a subtle, reddish-bronze tint, adding an extra dimension of visual interest. The shrub's leaves are intricately divided into many small, narrow leaflets, giving the plant an airy, delicate appearance that contrasts nicely with other plants in the landscape.
Cool Glow™ Lime Nandina is a compact, slow-growing shrub, typically reaching a mature height of 3-4 feet with a similar spread. This makes it a great choice for smaller gardens, as well as for use as a border, accent, or foundation plant. Its dense, mounding growth habit allows it to be easily maintained, requiring minimal pruning to keep its shape.
The plant is adaptable to a wide range of soil types and pH levels, though it prefers well-draining soil and a location with full sun to partial shade. It is also drought-tolerant once established, making it a low-maintenance option for busy gardeners or those living in regions with water restrictions. The Cool Glow™ Lime Nandina is cold-hardy, able to withstand temperatures as low as -10°F, which allows it to thrive in USDA hardiness zones 6-9.
Though the Cool Glow™ Lime Nandina does not produce significant flowers or berries, its vibrant foliage and low-maintenance requirements make it a valuable addition to any garden or landscape. Its bright, year-round color and compact size make it an excellent choice for adding visual interest to mixed borders, foundation plantings, and small garden spaces.
The Cool Glow™ Lime Nandina's unique features and adaptability make it an excellent choice for a variety of landscaping uses. Its vibrant foliage, compact size, and low-maintenance nature allow it to be seamlessly incorporated into different garden designs and settings. Some popular landscaping uses for the Cool Glow™ Lime Nandina include:
- Border Plantings: The compact size and mounding growth habit of the Cool Glow™ Lime Nandina make it ideal for creating tidy, colorful borders along pathways, garden beds, or property lines. Its bright foliage adds visual interest and a pop of color, while its dense growth provides a sense of structure.
- Accent Plant: The striking, lime-green foliage of the Cool Glow™ Lime Nandina serves as an eye-catching accent in the landscape. It can be used as a standalone specimen or planted in small groupings to create a focal point in the garden.
- Foundation Plantings: The Cool Glow™ Lime Nandina's compact size and slow growth rate make it an excellent choice for foundation plantings around homes or other structures. It can provide a pleasing contrast to the building's architecture and helps to soften the appearance of hard edges or corners.
- Mass Plantings: Planting several Cool Glow™ Lime Nandinas together in a mass planting can create a striking visual impact, with their vibrant foliage creating a lush, colorful groundcover. This can be especially effective on slopes, banks, or other areas where erosion control is needed.
- Container Gardens: The Cool Glow™ Lime Nandina's adaptability and size make it a great choice for container gardens or patio plantings. Its bright foliage adds a touch of color to outdoor living spaces, and it can be easily maintained with minimal pruning.
- Mixed Beds: The Cool Glow™ Lime Nandina can be combined with other plants that have contrasting colors, textures, or forms, creating a visually dynamic mixed bed. It pairs well with plants that have dark foliage, such as black mondo grass or purple-leaved heuchera, as well as those with bold, brightly colored flowers.
- Wildlife Gardens: Although the Cool Glow™ Lime Nandina does not produce significant flowers or berries, it can still play a role in wildlife gardens by providing shelter for small birds and other creatures. Its dense foliage offers a safe and protected environment for nesting and hiding.
By incorporating the Cool Glow™ Lime Nandina into various landscaping uses, gardeners can take advantage of its bright, year-round color, compact size, and low-maintenance requirements to create visually appealing and functional garden spaces.
Planting and caring for the Cool Glow™ Lime Nandina is relatively simple, as it is a low-maintenance and adaptable plant. By following these guidelines, you can ensure that your Cool Glow™ Lime Nandina thrives in your garden or landscape:
- Plant Selection: When purchasing a Cool Glow™ Lime Nandina, choose a healthy plant with no signs of disease or pest infestations. Look for bright, evenly colored foliage and a well-developed root system.
- Site Selection: Plant the Cool Glow™ Lime Nandina in a location with full sun to partial shade. The plant will produce the most vibrant foliage when it receives at least 4-6 hours of sunlight each day. Choose a site with well-draining soil, as the plant is sensitive to overly wet conditions.
- Planting: Dig a hole that is twice as wide and just as deep as the root ball of the Cool Glow™ Lime Nandina. Gently remove the plant from its container, being careful not to damage the root system. Place the plant in the hole, ensuring that the top of the root ball is level with the surrounding soil. Fill in the hole with soil, and gently press down to remove any air pockets. Water the plant thoroughly to settle the soil and ensure good root-to-soil contact.
- Watering: Water the Cool Glow™ Lime Nandina regularly during the first year to help it establish a strong root system. Once established, the plant is drought-tolerant and requires less frequent watering. However, it is still essential to provide supplemental water during extended dry periods to keep the plant healthy.
- Fertilizing: Apply a slow-release, balanced fertilizer to the Cool Glow™ Lime Nandina in early spring, following the package instructions for the recommended application rate. This will provide the plant with the necessary nutrients for optimal growth and foliage color.
- Pruning: The Cool Glow™ Lime Nandina requires minimal pruning, as it has a naturally compact and mounded growth habit. However, you can prune the plant lightly in late winter or early spring to remove any dead, damaged, or crowded branches and maintain its desired shape.
- Mulching: Apply a 2-3 inch layer of organic mulch around the base of the Cool Glow™ Lime Nandina, extending out to the drip line of the plant. This will help to conserve soil moisture, regulate soil temperature, and suppress weed growth. Be sure to keep the mulch a few inches away from the stem of the plant to prevent rot and pest infestations.
- Pest and Disease Management: The Cool Glow™ Lime Nandina is relatively resistant to pests and diseases. However, it is essential to monitor the plant regularly for signs of problems, such as leaf spots or pests like aphids and spider mites. If any issues arise, treat them promptly with the appropriate cultural or chemical controls.
By following these planting and care guidelines, you can ensure that your Cool Glow™ Lime Nandina grows strong and healthy, providing vibrant color and visual interest to your garden or landscape for years to come.
- Height: 3-4'
- Width: 3-4
- Hardiness Zone: 6-9
- Heat Zone: 9
- Exposure: Full Sun to Part Shade
- Habit: Upright, Rounded
- Flower Color: White
- Foliage: Bright Green
Interested in a particular plant or have questions?
Please don't hesitate to contact us via this form or email, and we will reply as soon as possible.