AVN succeeds by helping you & your business succeed.
+100 years in the industry
Cool Glow™ Peach Nandina (Nandina domestica 'ZhNan28') is a compact, evergreen shrub that has become a popular choice among gardening enthusiasts for its unique features and low-maintenance attributes. This particular cultivar of Nandina domestica is admired for its striking foliage, vibrant colors, and hardiness, making it an ideal plant for various garden settings.
One of the most distinctive attributes of Cool Glow™ Peach Nandina is its vibrant foliage, which offers a breathtaking display of colors throughout the year. In spring, the new leaves emerge in a vivid peach hue, creating a warm, eye-catching contrast with the older, green leaves. As the season progresses, the foliage transitions through shades of orange and red, culminating in a brilliant display of crimson during the fall and winter months. This colorful foliage makes the Cool Glow™ Peach Nandina an excellent choice for adding visual interest to any garden or landscape design.
The compact size of Cool Glow™ Peach Nandina makes it an ideal plant for small gardens, borders, or container plantings. Typically growing to a height of 3-4 feet and spreading 3-4 feet wide, it is an excellent choice for gardeners who have limited space or prefer plants with a manageable growth habit. Moreover, its dense, bushy form provides valuable cover and nesting sites for small birds and other wildlife.
This remarkable plant is also known for its hardiness and adaptability. Cool Glow™ Peach Nandina is able to thrive in a variety of soil types and is tolerant of both drought and moderate wetness. It can withstand temperatures as low as -10°F (-23°C), making it suitable for planting in USDA hardiness zones 6-9. Additionally, it is pest and disease-resistant, requiring minimal care and maintenance from gardeners.
In summary, Cool Glow™ Peach Nandina is a versatile, low-maintenance, and visually stunning plant that can enhance any garden or landscape. Its vibrant foliage, compact size, hardiness, and adaptability make it a highly desirable choice for both novice and experienced gardeners alike.
Cool Glow™ Peach Nandina offers numerous landscaping possibilities due to its attractive appearance, compact size, and adaptability. Here are some of the most common landscaping uses for this versatile plant:
- Foundation Planting: Cool Glow™ Peach Nandina's compact growth habit makes it an ideal choice for foundation plantings around homes and other structures. Its vivid foliage creates an appealing contrast with brick, stone, or siding, adding visual interest to the base of buildings.
- Border Plantings: With its dense, bushy form, Cool Glow™ Peach Nandina is perfect for creating neat, low borders along walkways, driveways, or property lines. It can be planted in rows or mixed with other low-growing shrubs to create a diverse, colorful border.
- Container Gardens: The manageable size and striking appearance of Cool Glow™ Peach Nandina make it a great addition to container gardens. It can be planted as a single specimen or paired with other plants to create a multi-layered, visually interesting display.
- Mass Planting: When planted en masse, Cool Glow™ Peach Nandina creates an impressive, colorful ground cover that can be used to fill large areas, prevent soil erosion, or simply add a splash of color to the landscape.
- Accent Plant: The vibrant foliage of Cool Glow™ Peach Nandina can serve as a focal point or accent in various garden settings. Use it to draw attention to a particular area, create contrast with surrounding plants, or add visual interest to a monochromatic garden.
- Wildlife Gardens: The dense, bushy growth of Cool Glow™ Peach Nandina provides cover and nesting sites for small birds and other wildlife, making it a valuable addition to wildlife-friendly gardens.
- Mixed Shrub Borders: Combine Cool Glow™ Peach Nandina with other shrubs, perennials, or ornamental grasses to create a diverse, multi-textured planting that offers year-round interest.
The Cool Glow™ Peach Nandina is a versatile and visually striking plant that can be used in various landscaping applications. Its vibrant foliage, compact size, and adaptability make it an excellent choice for gardeners looking to enhance their outdoor spaces with an attractive, low-maintenance plant.
Planting and caring for Cool Glow™ Peach Nandina is relatively straightforward due to its low-maintenance nature and adaptability. Here are some guidelines to help you establish and maintain a healthy, thriving plant:
- Site Selection: Cool Glow™ Peach Nandina grows well in full sun to partial shade. For the most vibrant foliage colors, choose a location that receives at least 4-6 hours of direct sunlight per day. The plant can tolerate a range of soil types, but well-draining soil is preferred to prevent root rot.
- Planting: Dig a hole twice as wide and slightly deeper than the root ball of the plant. Gently loosen the roots if they are tightly bound and place the plant in the hole, ensuring that the top of the root ball is level with the surrounding soil. Fill the hole with soil and gently firm it down to remove any air pockets. Water thoroughly to settle the soil and establish good root-to-soil contact.
- Watering: While Cool Glow™ Peach Nandina is drought-tolerant once established, it requires consistent moisture during the first growing season to develop a strong root system. Water deeply once or twice a week, allowing the soil to dry slightly between waterings. Once established, the plant can withstand periods of drought, but supplemental watering during extended dry spells is recommended.
- Mulching: Apply a 2-3 inch (5-7.5 cm) layer of organic mulch, such as shredded bark or compost, around the base of the plant to conserve moisture, regulate soil temperature, and suppress weed growth. Keep the mulch a few inches away from the stem to prevent potential issues with rot and pests.
- Fertilizing: Cool Glow™ Peach Nandina is not a heavy feeder, but it benefits from annual fertilization in the spring. Apply a balanced, slow-release fertilizer according to the package instructions. Alternatively, you can use an organic fertilizer, such as compost or well-rotted manure, to provide nutrients and improve soil structure.
- Pruning: Minimal pruning is required to maintain the compact shape and bushy growth of Cool Glow™ Peach Nandina. If desired, you can selectively prune any dead, damaged, or overcrowded branches in late winter or early spring before new growth emerges. To encourage a bushier form, you can also trim back the tips of the branches by one-third.
- Pest and Disease Control: Cool Glow™ Peach Nandina is generally resistant to pests and diseases. However, it's essential to monitor the plant for any signs of infestation or illness, such as leaf spots, powdery mildew, or aphids. If problems arise, promptly treat them with appropriate cultural, mechanical, or chemical methods as needed.
By following these planting and care guidelines, you can enjoy a healthy, thriving Cool Glow™ Peach Nandina that will enhance your garden or landscape with its striking foliage and compact growth habit.
- Height: 3-4'
- Width: 3-4'
- Hardiness Zone: 6-9
- Heat Zone: 9
- Exposure: Full Sun to Part Shade
- Habit: Upright, Rounded
- Flower Color: White
- Foliage: Dark Green
Interested in a particular plant or have questions?
Please don't hesitate to contact us via this form or email, and we will reply as soon as possible.