AVN succeeds by helping you & your business succeed.
+100 years in the industry
The Cool Glow™ Pomegranate Nandina (Nandina domestica 'ZhNan53') is a striking, compact shrub that brings a splash of vibrant color to any landscape. Boasting a unique blend of attributes, this plant is prized for its resilience, versatility, and visual appeal. Native to Asia, the Nandina has been cultivated and adapted to thrive in a variety of environments, making it an excellent choice for gardeners looking to add an eye-catching element to their outdoor space.
One of the key attributes of the Cool Glow™ Pomegranate Nandina is its stunning foliage. The leaves are composed of multiple leaflets, which fan out from a central stem in a delicate, feather-like pattern. The foliage color transitions throughout the year, providing an ever-changing palette of hues for your garden. During spring and summer, the leaves display a vibrant lime-green color, while in the cooler months, they transform into a striking blend of deep reds and oranges, reminiscent of a pomegranate's rind.
The Cool Glow™ Pomegranate Nandina also offers a profusion of small, white, star-shaped flowers in late spring and early summer. These blossoms are not only visually appealing, but they also attract pollinators such as bees and butterflies to your garden. The flowers are followed by clusters of vibrant red berries, which provide an additional pop of color in the fall and winter months. While the berries are not edible for humans, they can be a valuable food source for birds during the colder seasons.
This hardy shrub is known for its adaptability and low maintenance requirements. The Cool Glow™ Pomegranate Nandina can tolerate a wide range of soil conditions, from well-draining to clay-heavy, making it a suitable option for various landscapes. It also displays exceptional resistance to pests and diseases, reducing the need for excessive intervention by gardeners. Its compact size, reaching only 3-4 feet tall and wide, makes it perfect for small gardens, container planting, or as a colorful accent in a mixed border.
The Cool Glow™ Pomegranate Nandina thrives in USDA hardiness zones 6 to 9, enjoying full sun to partial shade. To maximize its vibrant foliage, it is recommended to plant it in a location where it will receive at least 4-6 hours of direct sunlight daily. Regular watering during the first year will help establish a healthy root system, and occasional pruning will promote a denser, more attractive form.
The Cool Glow™ Pomegranate Nandina is a captivating, low-maintenance shrub that offers year-round interest with its vibrant foliage, delicate flowers, and vivid berries. Its adaptability and resilience make it a fantastic choice for gardeners seeking a unique and colorful addition to their landscape.
The Cool Glow™ Pomegranate Nandina, with its vibrant foliage, delicate flowers, and vivid berries, offers a myriad of landscaping uses, making it a versatile addition to any garden. Here are several ways to incorporate this captivating shrub into your outdoor space:
- Foundation planting: The compact size and colorful foliage of the Cool Glow™ Pomegranate Nandina make it an excellent choice for foundation plantings, adding visual interest and helping to soften the appearance of a building's base.
- Mixed borders: This shrub works well when combined with other plants in mixed borders. Its striking foliage provides a beautiful contrast against evergreen plants, while its seasonal color changes can complement the hues of flowering perennials and annuals.
- Mass planting: Planting multiple Cool Glow™ Pomegranate Nandina shrubs together in a group can create a stunning visual impact, particularly when their foliage transitions to vibrant reds and oranges in the cooler months.
- Container gardening: Given its compact size, this Nandina can be grown in containers, making it perfect for adding color and texture to patios, balconies, or small urban gardens.
- Privacy screens or hedges: Planting a row of Cool Glow™ Pomegranate Nandina shrubs can create a low, informal hedge or privacy screen, which can be particularly useful for delineating outdoor spaces or providing a buffer between neighbors.
- Wildlife gardens: The white, star-shaped flowers of this Nandina attract pollinators, while the red berries provide a food source for birds in the winter months, making it a valuable addition to wildlife-friendly gardens.
- Erosion control: The Cool Glow™ Pomegranate Nandina's adaptable nature allows it to thrive in various soil conditions, making it suitable for planting on slopes or in areas prone to erosion. Its root system can help stabilize the soil, preventing erosion and runoff.
- Focal point or specimen planting: This shrub's striking appearance, particularly during its fall and winter color transformations, can serve as a focal point or specimen planting within your garden, drawing the eye and creating a conversation piece.
In summary, the Cool Glow™ Pomegranate Nandina is a versatile and attractive shrub that can be utilized in various landscaping applications. Whether used as a foundation planting, in mixed borders, or as a focal point, this hardy plant will bring year-round color and interest to any garden setting.
Planting and caring for a Cool Glow™ Pomegranate Nandina is relatively simple due to its adaptability and low maintenance requirements. Here is a guide to help you plant and care for this captivating shrub:
- Site selection: Choose a location with well-draining soil that receives at least 4-6 hours of direct sunlight daily. Although the Cool Glow™ Pomegranate Nandina can tolerate partial shade, its vibrant foliage will be most pronounced when exposed to ample sunlight.
- Soil preparation: This shrub can adapt to a wide range of soil conditions, including clay-heavy and sandy soils. However, it will perform best in well-draining soil with a slightly acidic to neutral pH. If necessary, amend the soil with organic matter, such as compost or well-rotted manure, to improve drainage and fertility.
- Planting: Dig a hole that is twice as wide and as deep as the root ball of your Cool Glow™ Pomegranate Nandina. Gently remove the shrub from its container, taking care not to damage the roots. Place the root ball into the hole, ensuring that the top of the root ball is level with the surrounding soil. Fill in the hole with the excavated soil, gently firming it down to eliminate air pockets. Water the plant thoroughly to help settle the soil around the roots.
- Watering: Regular watering is crucial during the first year to establish a healthy root system. Water your Cool Glow™ Pomegranate Nandina deeply and consistently, ensuring that the soil remains consistently moist but not waterlogged. Once established, this shrub is relatively drought-tolerant and will require less frequent watering.
- Mulching: Apply a layer of organic mulch, such as shredded bark or compost, around the base of the plant. This will help retain soil moisture, regulate soil temperature, and suppress weed growth. Be sure to leave a gap between the mulch and the stem of the plant to prevent potential rotting issues.
- Fertilization: Fertilize your Cool Glow™ Pomegranate Nandina annually in early spring with a slow-release, balanced fertilizer, following the manufacturer's instructions. Alternatively, you can apply a layer of compost or well-rotted manure around the base of the plant to provide a natural source of nutrients.
- Pruning: Prune your Nandina in late winter or early spring before new growth begins. Remove any dead or damaged branches, and lightly trim the plant to maintain its desired shape and size. Regular pruning will encourage a denser, more attractive form.
- Pest and disease control: The Cool Glow™ Pomegranate Nandina is relatively resistant to pests and diseases. However, keep an eye out for common issues such as aphids, scale insects, or leaf spot diseases. If necessary, apply an appropriate treatment method, such as insecticidal soap or a fungicide, following the manufacturer's recommendations.
By following these planting and care guidelines, you can ensure the optimal growth and health of your Cool Glow™ Pomegranate Nandina, allowing it to thrive and bring year-round color and interest to your garden.
- Height: 3-4'
- Width: 3-4'
- Hardiness Zone: 6-9
- Heat Zone: 9
- Exposure: Full Sun to Part Shade
- Habit: Upright, Rounded
- Flower Color: White
- Foliage: Dark Green
Interested in a particular plant or have questions?
Please don't hesitate to contact us via this form or email, and we will reply as soon as possible.