AVN succeeds by helping you & your business succeed.
+100 years in the industry
Discover More Information On Cool Splash® Dwarf Bush Honeysuckle
Cool Splash® Honeysuckle has bright white leaf margins that remain vibrant and clean until the first frost. Bunches of yellow blossoms adorn the plant in June and July, adding texture and color to the landscape. Cool Splash® is easy to grow in a variety of soils as long as it is not bone dry. This cultivar is a densely branched shrub that can form underground suckers, developing colonies over time. Use in lightly shaded areas or mass plantings in full sun for a spectacular effect. Found by Peter Podaras.
The Cool Splash® Dwarf Bush Honeysuckle is a captivating deciduous shrub known for its striking variegated foliage, compact size, and delightful fragrance. This exceptional plant, scientifically named Diervilla sessilifolia 'LPDC Podaras,' is a standout in any garden setting and offers an array of appealing attributes that make it a sought-after choice for landscape designers and homeowners alike.
One of the most notable features of the Cool Splash® Dwarf Bush Honeysuckle is its eye-catching variegated foliage. The leaves display a bright green color with striking white margins that create an impressive contrast against the plant's dense, bushy growth habit. This variegation adds a unique visual interest to the garden throughout the growing season. In the summer, the shrub produces an abundance of tubular, yellow flowers that not only add a splash of color to the landscape but also emit a delightful fragrance, attracting pollinators such as butterflies, bees, and hummingbirds.
Growing to a moderate height of 3 to 4 feet with a similar spread, the Cool Splash® Dwarf Bush Honeysuckle is ideal for use in various landscaping applications, including borders, hedges, and mass plantings. Its compact size and dense growth habit make it an excellent choice for smaller gardens and urban environments, where space may be limited.
The Cool Splash® Dwarf Bush Honeysuckle is a hardy plant that thrives in USDA plant hardiness zones 4 through 7. It is adaptable to a wide range of soil types, from sandy to clay soils, as long as the soil is well-draining. This resilient shrub can tolerate both full sun and partial shade, although the variegation in the foliage will be more pronounced in sunnier locations. Additionally, the Cool Splash® Dwarf Bush Honeysuckle is known for its resistance to common plant diseases and pests, as well as its ability to withstand drought and deer browsing, making it a low-maintenance option for any landscape.
When it comes to designing a garden, there are few areas more challenging than small shady nooks. Whether tucked under the shade of a large tree or alongside a sheltered patio, this space requires plant arrangements that can captivate. In my experience, the go-to shrub for this situation is usually a rhododendron. Yet, Cool Splash™ Dwarf Bush Honeysuckle offers an even better solution.
With its bold and vibrant blooms, Cool Splash™ attracts all the senses with its irresistible show of color and scent. Furthermore, it is also low maintenance, requiring minimal care and upkeep to thrive. So if you're looking to create an impactful focal point in your shaded garden nook, look no further than Cool Splash™ Dwarf Bush Honeysuckle. It's sure to be your new gardening obsession!
Cool Splash™ Dwarf Bush Honeysuckle is a beautiful deciduous shrub that is perfect for brightening up dark landscapes. While this plant thrives in a sunny border, it is also able to tolerate shade. In the summer, Cool Splash™ produces clusters of sweet-smelling, trumpet-shaped yellow blossoms that are sure to attract a variety of colorful butterflies and hummingbirds.
Not only is Cool Splash™ great for its beauty and appeal to wildlife, but it can also handle some tough conditions such as dry shade and hard clay soil. Thanks to its extensive root system, Cool Splash™ is also a great choice for erosion control. Whether you want to fill your garden with beauty or enhance your landscaping, Cool Splash™ Dwarf Bush Honeysuckle is a perfect choice!
Planting & Care
Planting and caring for your Cool Splash® Dwarf Bush Honeysuckle involves several important steps to ensure its successful establishment and growth in your landscape. Follow these guidelines to help your shrub thrive:
- Site selection: Choose a location with well-draining soil and exposure to full sun or partial shade. While the Cool Splash® Dwarf Bush Honeysuckle can tolerate a range of light conditions, it prefers at least 4-6 hours of direct sunlight per day for optimal growth and foliage variegation.
- Soil preparation: Before planting, loosen the soil in the planting area to a depth of 12-18 inches. Amend the soil with organic matter, such as compost, peat moss, or aged manure, to improve its structure, fertility, and drainage.
- Planting: Dig a hole twice as wide and just as deep as the root ball of the shrub. Gently remove the plant from its container, ensuring you do not disturb the roots. Place the root ball in the hole so that it is level with the surrounding soil. Backfill the hole with the amended soil, gently firming it around the root ball to remove air pockets. Water thoroughly to settle the soil around the roots.
- Mulching: Apply a 2-3 inch layer of organic mulch around the base of the shrub, keeping it a few inches away from the stem to prevent rot and discourage pests. Mulching helps to conserve soil moisture, regulate temperature, and suppress weed growth.
- Watering: Water your Cool Splash® Dwarf Bush Honeysuckle regularly during the first growing season, providing 1-1.5 inches of water per week. Once established, the shrub is drought-tolerant and requires less frequent watering. However, be sure to water during extended dry periods to maintain its health.
- Fertilizing: Apply a balanced, slow-release granular fertilizer in early spring, following the manufacturer's recommended application rates. This will provide the necessary nutrients for healthy growth, foliage development, and flowering.
- Pruning: Prune the Cool Splash® Dwarf Bush Honeysuckle in late winter or early spring before new growth begins. Remove any dead, damaged, or crossing branches to maintain its shape and encourage healthy growth. Additionally, you can trim the shrub to maintain its compact size and desired form.
- Pest and disease management: Monitor your shrub for signs of pests or diseases, such as aphids or powdery mildew. While the Cool Splash® Dwarf Bush Honeysuckle is generally resistant to common issues, it's essential to address any problems promptly using appropriate cultural or chemical control methods.
Cool Splash® Dwarf Bush Honeysuckle
- Height: 2.5-4.5'
- Width: 2.5-4.5'
- Hardiness Zone: 4-7
- Heat Zone: 7
- Exposure: Full Sun to Part Shade
- Habit: Compact, Mounded
Interested in a particular plant or have questions?
Please don't hesitate to contact us via this form or email, and we will reply as soon as possible.