AVN succeeds by helping you & your business succeed.
+100 years in the industry
The Coral Magic Crapemyrtle (Lagerstroemia 'Coral Magic') is an enchanting deciduous shrub known for its vibrant and colorful floral display. A cultivar of Lagerstroemia indica, this variety is highly valued by gardeners and landscape designers for its compact size, hardiness, and unique coral-colored blooms. The Coral Magic Crapemyrtle is an excellent choice for gardens, borders, or as a standalone ornamental plant, adding a touch of magic to any outdoor space.
One of the most striking attributes of the Coral Magic Crapemyrtle is its abundant and long-lasting blooms. These stunning flowers appear in clusters, called panicles, and are characterized by a delicate, coral-pink hue. Blooming typically begins in late spring or early summer and can last until the first frost, providing a magnificent display of color throughout the warmer months. The flowers attract butterflies and other pollinators, adding to the plant's visual appeal and ecological value.
The Coral Magic Crapemyrtle boasts a compact and rounded growth habit, usually reaching a height and width of 4-6 feet. This makes it a suitable choice for smaller gardens or tight spaces where larger plants might be overwhelming. The dark green leaves of this cultivar are elliptical and glossy, providing a beautiful contrast to the vibrant coral blooms. In the fall, the foliage turns a stunning orange-red, adding even more visual interest to the plant throughout the year.
This hardy shrub is also known for its impressive resistance to diseases and pests, including powdery mildew and the common Crapemyrtle aphid. As a result, the Coral Magic Crapemyrtle requires relatively low maintenance and is an ideal choice for gardeners of all experience levels. It is adaptable to various soil types but prefers well-draining, slightly acidic soil. To ensure the best growth and flowering, the plant should be placed in a location with full sun exposure.
The Coral Magic Crapemyrtle is a captivating plant that adds a splash of color to any landscape. With its eye-catching coral blooms, compact size, and hardy nature, this shrub is an excellent addition to gardens and outdoor spaces, providing visual interest and ecological benefits throughout the growing season.
The Coral Magic Crapemyrtle's unique attributes and vibrant colors make it a versatile and valuable addition to various landscaping applications. Here are some popular uses for this stunning shrub in landscape design:
- Focal point: The Coral Magic Crapemyrtle's eye-catching coral blooms and attractive foliage make it an excellent focal point in any garden or landscape. Planting it as a centerpiece in a garden bed or at the intersection of walkways can draw attention and create visual interest.
- Border planting: Its compact size and rounded growth habit make the Coral Magic Crapemyrtle an ideal choice for border plantings. Use it to create a colorful and low-maintenance border along walkways, driveways, or property lines.
- Foundation planting: Placing the Coral Magic Crapemyrtle near the foundation of a building can help soften architectural lines and add curb appeal. It can also be used to anchor the corners of a house or other structure, providing a touch of color and elegance.
- Mixed shrub border: Combine the Coral Magic Crapemyrtle with other complementary shrubs, perennials, and ornamental grasses to create a dynamic mixed border. Its vibrant blooms and attractive fall foliage will add visual interest and seasonal variation to the planting.
- Container gardening: Due to its compact size, the Coral Magic Crapemyrtle can be grown in large containers, making it suitable for patios, balconies, or other small outdoor spaces. Pair it with other container-friendly plants to create a colorful and low-maintenance display.
- Wildlife garden: The Coral Magic Crapemyrtle's flowers attract butterflies, bees, and other pollinators, making it a valuable addition to a wildlife-friendly garden. Plant it alongside other native plants and pollinator-friendly species to create a haven for local wildlife.
- Specimen planting: Use the Coral Magic Crapemyrtle as a standalone specimen in a lawn or open space. Its unique coral blooms, rounded shape, and attractive foliage make it a striking feature that will capture attention and create a strong visual statement.
The Coral Magic Crapemyrtle offers numerous landscaping possibilities, from focal points and borders to wildlife gardens and container plantings. Its vibrant colors, compact size, and low-maintenance requirements make it a versatile and attractive addition to any landscape design.
Planting and caring for a Coral Magic Crapemyrtle requires attention to a few key factors to ensure the plant thrives and produces its characteristic vibrant blooms. Here are some essential tips for planting and caring for this captivating shrub:
- Planting location: Choose a location with full sun exposure for your Coral Magic Crapemyrtle, as it needs at least 6-8 hours of direct sunlight per day to produce abundant blooms. Ensure the planting site has well-draining soil, as the plant is susceptible to root rot if left in standing water.
- Soil preparation: Although the Coral Magic Crapemyrtle is adaptable to various soil types, it prefers slightly acidic, well-draining soil. If necessary, amend the planting area with organic matter, such as compost or peat moss, to improve soil structure and drainage. Also, consider having your soil tested to determine its pH and nutrient levels, and make adjustments as needed.
- Planting: Dig a hole twice as wide and just as deep as the root ball of your Coral Magic Crapemyrtle. Gently remove the plant from its container, and carefully loosen the roots if they are tightly bound. Place the plant in the hole, ensuring that the top of the root ball is level with the surrounding soil. Backfill the hole with the excavated soil, firmly pressing it around the root ball. Water thoroughly to help settle the soil and eliminate air pockets.
- Watering: During the first year after planting, water your Coral Magic Crapemyrtle regularly to establish a deep and healthy root system. After the first year, water the plant during periods of drought or extreme heat, as it is moderately drought-tolerant once established. Be careful not to overwater, as this can lead to root rot.
- Mulching: Apply a 2-3 inch layer of organic mulch, such as wood chips or shredded bark, around the base of the Coral Magic Crapemyrtle. This helps retain soil moisture, suppress weeds, and maintain a consistent soil temperature. Be sure to keep the mulch a few inches away from the trunk to prevent rot and pest infestations.
- Fertilizing: Apply a slow-release, balanced fertilizer (e.g., 10-10-10) in early spring to promote healthy growth and abundant blooms. Follow the manufacturer's instructions for the appropriate application rate, and be careful not to over-fertilize, as this can lead to excessive growth and reduced flowering.
- Pruning: Prune the Coral Magic Crapemyrtle in late winter or early spring before new growth emerges. Remove any dead, damaged, or diseased branches, as well as any that are crossing or rubbing against each other. Maintain the plant's natural shape by selectively pruning branches to encourage a more open, rounded form. Avoid heavy pruning, which can result in fewer flowers and an unattractive growth habit.
By following these planting and care guidelines, you can help ensure that your Coral Magic Crapemyrtle remains healthy, vibrant, and full of eye-catching blooms for years to come.
- Height: 8-10'
- Width: 6-8'
- Hardiness Zone: 7-9
- Heat Zone: 9
- Exposure: Full Sun
- Habit: Rounded
- Flower Color: Orange
- Foliage: Dark Green
Interested in a particular plant or have questions?
Please don't hesitate to contact us via this form or email, and we will reply as soon as possible.