AVN succeeds by helping you & your business succeed.
+100 years in the industry
Discover More Information On Crimson Fire™ Fringe Flower
Crimson Fire™ is the first truly compact red-leaf fringe flower on the market with proven cold tolerance. When other red-leaf varieties have been severely damaged during particularly rough winters, Crimson Fire™ came through unharmed with minimal tip burn. Additionally, this well-behaved selection has controlled growth and doesn't throw out rangy shoots. Bright pink flowers in spring are highlighted by the dark foliage.
The Crimson Fire™ Fringe Flower, known scientifically as Loropetalum chinese var. rubrum, is a strikingly beautiful evergreen shrub that belongs to the witch-hazel family, Hamamelidaceae. Native to Southeast Asia, this cultivar has become increasingly popular in gardens and landscapes due to its unique foliage, vibrant flowers, and low maintenance requirements.
The Crimson Fire™ Fringe Flower is notable for its dense, compact growth habit, typically reaching a height of 4 feet and spreading 4 to 5 feet wide. Its leaves are elliptical and have a rich, burgundy color that persists throughout the year, providing a striking contrast to the more common green foliage found in many gardens. The eye-catching color of the foliage is further enhanced by its glossy, slightly undulating texture.
This plant produces abundant, spider-like flowers in a vibrant pinkish-red hue that gives it the name "Fringe Flower." The flowers, which appear in clusters, are comprised of long, thin, ribbon-like petals that lend an air of delicacy to the overall appearance of the plant. Flowering typically occurs in spring, but sporadic blooms may also be observed throughout the year, especially in milder climates.
Crimson Fire™ Fringe Flower is a versatile plant that can be used in a variety of landscape settings, such as borders, hedges, or as a stand-alone focal point. It is also well-suited to container gardening, making it an excellent choice for patios, balconies, or other small spaces.
This cultivar thrives in well-draining, slightly acidic soil and prefers partial to full sun exposure. While it can tolerate short periods of drought once established, the Crimson Fire™ Fringe Flower benefits from regular watering during its early years to encourage robust growth. It is also remarkably pest and disease resistant, which adds to its appeal as a low-maintenance addition to any garden.
The Crimson Fire™ Fringe Flower is a stunning, easy-to-grow plant that features unique burgundy foliage and vibrant, fringe-like flowers. Its compact growth habit, versatility in landscape applications, and low maintenance requirements make it an ideal choice for gardeners seeking to add a touch of drama and color to their outdoor spaces.
The Crimson Fire™ Fringe Flower, with its attractive burgundy foliage and vibrant pinkish-red flowers, offers a wide range of landscaping uses. Its versatility makes it an ideal choice for various garden styles and settings. Here are some popular landscaping applications for this striking plant:
- Border plantings: The Crimson Fire™ Fringe Flower can be used as an edging or border plant, creating a vibrant and colorful boundary around garden beds, walkways, or property lines. Its compact size and dense growth habit make it suitable for defining spaces and adding structure to your landscape.
- Hedges and screens: Planting these shrubs in a row can create an eye-catching, low-growing hedge or privacy screen. The dense foliage provides a good barrier and helps to block out unwanted views or noises while adding a splash of color to your garden.
- Focal point: The unique combination of foliage and flowers makes the Crimson Fire™ Fringe Flower an excellent focal point in a garden or landscape design. Its striking appearance can draw attention and serve as a conversation starter.
- Foundation plantings: This cultivar is well-suited for planting near building foundations, where its compact size and vibrant color can help soften the appearance of walls and other architectural elements.
- Mass plantings: When planted in groups, the Crimson Fire™ Fringe Flower can create a dramatic visual impact, especially when contrasted against plants with green foliage. Mass plantings can be used to fill large areas, cover slopes, or create a colorful groundcover effect.
- Container gardening: Due to its relatively small size and adaptable nature, the Crimson Fire™ Fringe Flower is an excellent choice for container gardening. It can be used in pots, planters, or hanging baskets to add color and interest to patios, balconies, or other outdoor living spaces.
- Mixed shrub borders: Incorporating the Crimson Fire™ Fringe Flower into a mixed shrub border can add diversity in terms of color, texture, and height. It pairs well with other evergreen and deciduous shrubs, as well as perennials and ornamental grasses.
- Woodland gardens: The Crimson Fire™ Fringe Flower can be a striking addition to a woodland garden or shaded landscape, where its deep burgundy foliage can provide contrast against the predominantly green backdrop.
The Crimson Fire™ Fringe Flower offers a wide array of landscaping possibilities, from border plantings and hedges to container gardens and focal points. Its unique appearance and low-maintenance nature make it a valuable addition to any garden design.
Planting & Care
Planting and caring for the Crimson Fire™ Fringe Flower is relatively straightforward, making it an excellent choice for gardeners of all experience levels. Here is some essential information on planting and caring for this vibrant and attractive shrub:
- Site selection: Choose a planting site with well-draining soil and partial to full sun exposure. While the Crimson Fire™ Fringe Flower can tolerate some shade, it will produce the best foliage color and flower display when grown in a sunny location.
- Soil preparation: This plant prefers slightly acidic soil with a pH between 5.5 and 6.5. If your soil is alkaline, you can amend it with peat moss, compost, or sulfur to lower the pH. Ensure the soil has good drainage to prevent root rot issues.
- Planting: Dig a hole that is twice the width and the same depth as the root ball of the plant. Gently loosen the roots, place the plant in the hole, and backfill with the excavated soil. Tamp down the soil gently and water thoroughly to settle it around the roots. If planting multiple shrubs, space them approximately 3 to 4 feet apart to accommodate their mature size.
- Watering: The Crimson Fire™ Fringe Flower requires regular watering, especially during the first few years after planting. Keep the soil consistently moist but not waterlogged. Once established, the plant is somewhat drought-tolerant but will perform best with consistent moisture.
- Mulching: Apply a 2- to 3-inch layer of organic mulch around the base of the plant to help conserve moisture, regulate soil temperature, and suppress weed growth. Keep the mulch a few inches away from the stem to prevent potential rotting issues.
- Fertilizing: Feed your Crimson Fire™ Fringe Flower with a slow-release, balanced fertilizer in early spring before new growth begins. Follow the package instructions for proper application rates. Alternatively, you can use an acid-forming, slow-release fertilizer if your soil pH is too high.
- Pruning: Minimal pruning is required for this shrub due to its compact growth habit. If needed, prune after the main flowering period in spring to maintain its shape or to remove dead, damaged, or diseased branches. Avoid heavy pruning, as it may reduce flowering the following year.
- Pest and disease control: The Crimson Fire™ Fringe Flower is relatively pest and disease-resistant. However, monitor the plant for any signs of issues and treat them promptly. Common pests include aphids and scale insects, while potential diseases include root rot, caused by overly wet soil conditions.
By following these planting and care guidelines, you can ensure that your Crimson Fire™ Fringe Flower thrives and adds a stunning burst of color to your landscape for years to come.
Crimson Fire™ Fringe Flower
- Height: 4'
- Width: 4-5'
- Hardiness Zone: 7-9
- Heat Zone: 9
- Exposure: Full Sun to Part Shade
- Habit: Mounded
- Flower Color: Bright Pink
- Foliage: Bright Red
Interested in a particular plant or have questions?
Please don't hesitate to contact us via this form or email, and we will reply as soon as possible.