AVN succeeds by helping you & your business succeed.
+100 years in the industry
The Decadence® 'Blueberry Sundae' False Indigo is a medium-height perennial, boasting a garden height of 36 inches with a similar spread of 30 to 36 inches, presenting a balanced and compact appearance. Its unique attribute lies in its vibrant blue flowers, which bloom in shades of true blue, a rarity in the plant world that offers a striking contrast against the backdrop of its blue-green foliage. This Baptisia hybrid carries an upright habit, making it an ideal 'thriller' element for containers or garden beds, where its structural form can be fully appreciated.
Adaptability is a key feature of this plant, as it flourishes under a range of light conditions from part sun to full sun. This flexibility allows gardeners to incorporate the 'Blueberry Sundae' into various garden designs, from sun-drenched borders to partially shaded garden spots. Despite its showy appearance, it is an easy-care plant requiring minimal maintenance, thriving in both average and poor soil conditions, and is tolerant of both acidic and neutral soil pH levels.
The Decadence® 'Blueberry Sundae' False Indigo is a versatile perennial that serves multiple landscaping purposes, making it a valuable addition to a variety of garden designs and settings. Its vibrant indigo blue flowers and compact, upright growth habit allow it to fulfill several roles in the landscape:
- Border Plant: With its medium height and compact spread, it fits beautifully along garden borders, adding structure and a pop of color. It can define the edges of garden beds or pathways with its striking blue blooms and blue-green foliage.
- Cut Flower Garden: The vibrant blue flowers of the 'Blueberry Sundae' make it an excellent choice for cut flower gardens. Its blooms can create stunning floral arrangements that bring the beauty of the garden indoors.
- Dried Flower: Beyond its fresh appeal, the flowers and seed pods of this False Indigo dry well, retaining their shape and color for use in dried floral arrangements, adding long-lasting beauty to indoor spaces.
- Landscape Specimen or Focal Point: With its unique color and upright form, it can serve as a striking focal point in garden designs. Planted individually or in small groups, it draws the eye and adds interest to the landscape.
- Native and Wildlife Gardens: As a native North American plant, it supports local ecosystems by attracting bees, butterflies, and other pollinators, enhancing biodiversity in wildlife gardens.
- Xeriscaping and Drought-Resistant Plantings: Once established, the 'Blueberry Sundae' is moderately drought tolerant, making it a suitable choice for xeriscape gardens or areas with water restrictions. It thrives in average to poor, well-drained soil, requiring minimal supplemental watering.
- Deer Resistant Plantings: Its deer resistance makes it an excellent choice for gardens in areas prone to deer browsing, ensuring that its beauty remains unspoiled throughout the season.
Caring for the Decadence® 'Blueberry Sundae' False Indigo involves understanding its basic needs for optimal growth and flowering. This perennial is appreciated for its low maintenance requirements, making it an excellent choice for both novice and experienced gardeners. Here's how to plant and care for this vibrant perennial:
- Location: Choose a site with part sun to full sun exposure. This plant thrives with at least 4-6 hours of sunlight daily, which is crucial for maximum blooming.
- Soil: Plant in well-drained soil. Although the 'Blueberry Sundae' can tolerate a range of soil types, including poor soils, good drainage is essential to prevent root rot.
- Spacing: Space plants approximately 30 to 36 inches apart to allow for their mature spread. This ensures adequate air circulation and promotes healthy growth.
- Planting Depth: Dig a hole as deep as the root ball and twice as wide. Set the plant in the hole so that the top of the root ball is level with the soil surface. Backfill the hole, gently firming the soil, and water thoroughly.
- Watering: Water regularly to establish the plant. Once established, the 'Blueberry Sundae' is moderately drought tolerant. It requires more frequent watering during extreme heat or if planted in containers.
- Fertilizing: This plant requires minimal fertilization. If necessary, apply a balanced, slow-release fertilizer in the spring to support healthy growth and flowering.
- Mulching: Apply a layer of mulch around the base of the plant to retain soil moisture, regulate soil temperature, and reduce weed competition.
- Pruning: Deadheading is not necessary for this plant to continue blooming. However, you can trim the plant back in late fall or early spring to maintain its shape and remove any spent foliage.
- Pest and Disease Management: 'Blueberry Sundae' is generally resistant to pests and diseases. However, good cultural practices, such as avoiding overhead watering and providing proper spacing, can further minimize potential issues.
- Winter Care: In zones where winter temperatures are within the plant's hardiness range (zones 4-9), it will typically die back to the ground and return in the spring. Applying a layer of mulch after the ground freezes can provide additional winter protection.
By following these planting and care guidelines, the Decadence® 'Blueberry Sundae' False Indigo will be a stunning addition to the garden, offering vibrant blue flowers and attracting pollinators throughout its blooming season. Its resilience and low maintenance make it a joy for gardeners looking to add long-lasting beauty to their outdoor spaces.
- Plant Type: Perennial
- Watering Needs: Average water; moderately drought tolerant once established. More watering may be required in extreme heat or containers.
- Botanical Pronunciation: BAP-ti-sia hy-BRID
- Deciduous/evergreen: Herbaceous
- Growth rate: Moderate
- Average landscape size: Mature size is 3’ tall and 2'6" - 3’ wide.
- Special features: Border Plant, Cut Flower, Dried Flower, Landscape, Specimen or Focal Point, Attracts Bees and Butterflies, Deer Resistant, Salt Tolerant, Native to North America
- Dramatic Foliage: Attractive blue-green foliage
- Foliage color: Blue-Green
- Blooms: Late Spring to Early Summer
- Flower color: Blue
- Flower attributes: Vibrant indigo blue spires, more vibrant than B. australis
- Garden style: Cottage, Naturalistic, Prairie
- Design Ideas: Ideal for creating a vibrant splash in borders, as a focal point in cottage or naturalistic garden settings, or in mass plantings for a stunning display. Its compact habit makes it suitable for small spaces, adding depth with its upright form. Incorporates well into native, xeriscape, or wildlife gardens, attracting pollinators while offering low maintenance beauty.
- Companion Plants: Pairs well with other drought-tolerant perennials, native grasses, and plants that enjoy similar sun and soil conditions, enhancing biodiversity and creating a cohesive landscape design.
Interested in a particular plant or have questions?
Please don't hesitate to contact us via this form or email, and we will reply as soon as possible.