AVN succeeds by helping you & your business succeed.
+100 years in the industry
The Decadence® 'Cherries Jubilee' False Indigo is a cultivar renowned for its distinct and vibrant attributes that make it a coveted addition to any garden. One of its most notable features is the unique coloration of its flowers. The blooms emerge as deep maroon buds, unfurling into exquisite bicolor maroon and yellow flowers. As the season progresses, these flowers mature to a striking gold shade, providing a dynamic display of color throughout its flowering period. This color transition adds a layer of visual interest and depth to garden designs, ensuring that the plant remains a captivating feature from late spring into early summer.
Beyond its beauty, this False Indigo variant exhibits exceptional garden performance in terms of growth habit and resilience. The plant forms a bushy, upright, and spreading mound of foliage, which is relatively compact for a Baptisia, standing at about 2'6" to 3' in height with a similar spread. This makes it an ideal choice for the middle of the flower border, where its densely branched foliage and floriferous nature can be fully appreciated. The secondary branching on the flower stems not only contributes to its abundant blooming but also extends the visual appeal of the plant, as it results in more flowers and, subsequently, decorative seed pods in the fall.
The Decadence® 'Cherries Jubilee' False Indigo is a versatile and vibrant addition to a variety of garden styles and landscapes. Its unique attributes make it suitable for several landscaping uses:
- Border Plantings: Its compact size and striking coloration make it an excellent choice for border plantings, where it can add depth and interest. Planted alongside other perennials, it creates a stunning color contrast and adds structure to garden beds.
- Specimen or Focal Point: With its unique maroon and yellow flowers that age to gold, the Decadence® 'Cherries Jubilee' can serve as a captivating focal point in garden designs. Whether planted solo or as part of a mixed bed, its distinctive appearance draws the eye.
- Pollinator Gardens: Since it attracts bees and butterflies, incorporating this plant into pollinator gardens supports local ecosystems by providing vital resources for these beneficial insects. Its extended blooming period ensures a consistent food source throughout late spring and early summer.
- Native Plant Landscapes: As a plant native to North America, it fits seamlessly into native and wildflower gardens, contributing to the support of local wildlife and promoting biodiversity.
- Drought-Tolerant Landscapes: Given its drought tolerance, the Decadence® 'Cherries Jubilee' is ideal for xeriscaping and water-wise gardens. It thrives in dry conditions once established, making it suitable for regions with water restrictions.
- Coastal Gardens: Its salt tolerance makes it a good candidate for coastal gardens, where it can withstand the challenging conditions often present in these environments.
- Cut Flower Gardens: The vibrant flowers not only add beauty to the landscape but also make excellent cut flowers for indoor arrangements. Planting it in a cut flower garden ensures a supply of unique blooms for bouquets.
- Cottage Gardens: The relaxed habit and colorful blooms of the Decadence® 'Cherries Jubilee' blend well with the informal, densely planted style of cottage gardens, adding both color and charm.
- Low-Maintenance Landscapes: For gardeners seeking beauty without the high maintenance, this perennial's ease of care, drought tolerance, and resistance to deer make it an attractive option for low-maintenance landscapes.
Incorporating the Decadence® 'Cherries Jubilee' False Indigo into your garden not only enhances the visual appeal with its striking blooms but also supports a healthy and diverse garden ecosystem. Its versatility allows it to adapt to various landscape designs, making it a valuable addition to any garden.
Planting and caring for the Decadence® 'Cherries Jubilee' False Indigo involves understanding its basic needs for optimal growth and bloom. Here is a guide to ensure this beautiful perennial thrives in your garden:
- Timing: Plant in early spring or fall to allow the plant to establish before the extremes of summer heat or winter cold.
- Location: Choose a location that receives full sun to partial shade. Although it can tolerate part shade, full sun encourages optimal blooming.
- Soil: This plant prefers well-drained soil. It can tolerate poor soil conditions, including rocky or sandy soils, but avoid areas where water stands after heavy rains.
- Spacing: Space plants approximately 36 inches apart to allow for mature growth and air circulation, which helps prevent disease.
- Planting Depth: Dig a hole as deep as the root ball and twice as wide. Place the plant in the hole so that the top of the root ball is level with the soil surface. Backfill with soil and press firmly to remove air pockets.
Care and Maintenance:
- Watering: Water the plant thoroughly at planting. Once established, the Decadence® 'Cherries Jubilee' is drought-tolerant, requiring only occasional watering during prolonged dry spells or extreme heat, especially in container plantings.
- Mulching: Apply a layer of mulch around the base of the plant to retain soil moisture, regulate soil temperature, and reduce weed competition.
- Fertilizing: Generally, this plant does not require heavy fertilization. If desired, apply a balanced, slow-release fertilizer in the spring to support growth and blooming.
- Pruning: Deadheading (removing spent flowers) is not necessary for this plant, as it does not significantly prolong blooming. Pruning back in late fall or early spring before new growth begins can help maintain a tidy appearance and promote healthy growth.
- Pest and Disease Management: This plant is relatively pest and disease-free, especially if proper spacing and site conditions are met. Keep an eye out for common garden pests and treat them as necessary with appropriate measures.
- Longevity and Division: The Decadence® 'Cherries Jubilee' False Indigo is a long-lived perennial that rarely needs division. However, if you wish to propagate or manage its size, division can be done in early spring.
- Supporting Wildlife: This plant is particularly attractive to bees and butterflies. Consider planting it in a location where you can easily observe the pollinators it attracts.
- Drought Tolerance: Once established, it has excellent drought tolerance, making it a good choice for xeric or water-wise gardens. However, during its first growing season, ensure it receives enough water to establish a strong root system.
By following these planting and care instructions, you can enjoy the vibrant and unique beauty of the Decadence® 'Cherries Jubilee' False Indigo in your garden for many years. Its ease of care, drought tolerance, and stunning floral display make it a valuable addition to any landscape.
- Plant Type: Perennial
- Watering Needs: Moderate; more frequent watering may be required in extreme heat or containers.
- Botanical Pronunciation: bap-TIS-ee-uh hy-BRID
- Deciduous/evergreen: Herbaceous
- Growth rate: Medium
- Average landscape size: Grows to a mature size of 2'6" to 3' tall and 3' wide.
- Special features: Attracts Bees, Attracts Butterflies, Deer Resistant, Drought Tolerant, Salt Tolerant, Native to North America, Fall Interest
- Dramatic Foliage: Dense, blue-green foliage
- Foliage color: Blue-green
- Blooms: Late Spring to Early Summer
- Flower color: Maroon and Yellow, aging to Gold
- Flower attributes: Unique maroon and yellow flowers age to gold, Secondary branching makes it especially floriferous
- Garden style: Cottage, Eclectic, Naturalistic
- Design Ideas: Ideal for small spaces due to its compact habit. Makes a striking specimen or focal point in mixed borders and beds. Can be used in wildflower gardens for a pop of color or as part of a pollinator-friendly garden. Works well in native plant landscapes or as a drought-tolerant option in xeriscapes. Its unique flower color provides excellent contrast when planted with other perennials or grasses.
- Companion Plants: Pairs well with other drought-tolerant perennials such as Salvia, Echinacea, and Sedum for a vibrant, low-maintenance garden display.
Interested in a particular plant or have questions?
Please don't hesitate to contact us via this form or email, and we will reply as soon as possible.