AVN succeeds by helping you & your business succeed.
+100 years in the industry
The Double Play Big Bang® Spirea is a captivating and versatile deciduous shrub, offering a plethora of attractive attributes that make it a cherished addition to any garden. This Spiraea x variety is distinguished by its impressive size, growing to a mature height and spread of 2 to 3 feet. Its compact and mounded habit allows it to fit seamlessly into various garden spaces, whether used for mass plantings or as a striking element in a mixed border.
Flower-wise, the spirea is a true showstopper with its vibrant pink blooms that create a splendid display from early to late summer. The flowers are not only visually appealing but also attract hummingbirds, adding a dynamic element of wildlife interaction in the garden. Complementing the pink blooms, the foliage of this plant is equally striking. It showcases a vivid yellow color, bringing a continuous burst of brightness to the landscape even when the plant is not in bloom.
The Double Play Big Bang® Spirea, with its vibrant blooms and colorful foliage, offers a range of landscaping uses, making it a versatile choice for different garden styles and designs:
- Mass Plantings: Its uniform growth habit and stunning pink flowers make it ideal for mass plantings, creating a visually impactful and cohesive look. When planted in groups, the spirea's bright flowers and foliage create a sea of color that is particularly striking.
- Mixed Borders: The spirea works beautifully in mixed borders, pairing well with perennials and other shrubs. Its yellow foliage and pink blooms offer a delightful contrast to green-leaved plants and those with darker or differently colored flowers.
- Foundation Plantings: Due to its moderate size and mounded habit, it is well-suited for foundation plantings around homes or buildings. It can help soften architectural lines and add color to these areas.
- Container Gardening: This spirea variety can also thrive in containers, making it a great option for adding color to patios, balconies, or other outdoor living spaces. Its compact size makes it manageable in pots, and its showy flowers and foliage bring life and vibrancy to container arrangements.
- Wildlife Gardens: The plant is attractive to hummingbirds, adding an element of wildlife interaction to gardens. Incorporating it into a wildlife or pollinator garden can help attract these beneficial visitors.
- Specimen Plant: Its striking appearance allows it to stand alone as a specimen plant, drawing attention with its colorful display of flowers and foliage.
- Erosion Control: The spirea's root system can help in stabilizing slopes and areas prone to erosion, making it a functional as well as an aesthetically pleasing choice.
- Themed Gardens: Its characteristics make it suitable for various garden themes, such as cottage gardens, contemporary landscapes, or even in Asian-inspired garden designs.
The Double Play Big Bang® Spirea, with its captivating blooms and vibrant foliage, is a delightful addition to any garden. Proper planting and care are essential to ensure this shrub thrives and maintains its beauty. Here are the key aspects of planting and caring for this spirea:
- Timing: Plant in early spring or fall to allow the roots time to establish before extreme weather conditions.
- Location: Choose a site with partial to full sun exposure (4-6 hours of sunlight daily). Ensure the location has well-draining soil.
- Soil Preparation: Spirea prefers moderately fertile, well-drained soil. Amend the soil with compost or other organic matter to improve drainage and nutrient content if necessary.
- Planting Depth and Spacing: Dig a hole as deep as the root ball and twice as wide. Place the plant in the hole, ensuring the top of the root ball is level with the soil surface. Backfill with soil, and space plants 2-3 feet apart to allow for growth and air circulation.
- Watering After Planting: Water thoroughly after planting to settle the soil around the roots.
- Watering: Water regularly during the first growing season to establish a deep, extensive root system. Once established, spirea is somewhat drought-tolerant but benefits from occasional watering, especially in extreme heat or when planted in containers.
- Mulching: Apply a layer of mulch around the base of the plant to retain soil moisture and regulate soil temperature.
- Fertilizing: Feed in early spring with a controlled-release fertilizer formulated for shrubs. Avoid over-fertilizing, as this can lead to excessive growth at the expense of flowering.
- Pruning: Prune in late winter or early spring. Spirea blooms on new wood, so pruning encourages healthy growth and abundant flowering. Remove any dead, damaged, or overcrowded branches, and shape as desired. Deadheading (removing spent flowers) after the first bloom can encourage a second flowering.
- Pest and Disease Management: Spirea is generally resistant to pests and diseases. However, keep an eye out for common issues like leaf spots or aphids and treat them promptly if they occur.
- Winter Care: In colder zones, apply extra mulch around the base to protect the roots during winter.
Following these planting and care guidelines will help your Double Play Big Bang® Spirea flourish, providing a stunning display of flowers and foliage year after year.
- Plant Type: Shrub
- Watering Needs: Average; requires regular watering but can tolerate some drought conditions.
- Botanical Pronunciation: spy-REE-uh x
- Deciduous/evergreen: Deciduous
- Growth rate: Moderate
- Average landscape size: Grows to a mature height and spread of 2-3 feet.
- Special features: Attracts hummingbirds, deer-resistant, low maintenance, ideal for mass plantings and mixed borders.
- Dramatic Foliage: Colorful new growth, especially in early spring.
- Foliage color: Yellow
- Blooms: Spring to Summer
- Flower color: Pink
- Flower attributes: Large, showy blooms
- Garden style: Fits well in both contemporary and traditional garden designs
- Design Ideas: Excellent for creating vibrant borders or as part of a mixed border. Its colorful foliage and pink flowers enhance garden beds, and it can be used in mass plantings for a striking effect. Its size and shape make it suitable for small gardens or as a container plant.
- Companion Plants: Complements a variety of other garden plants, especially those with contrasting foliage or flower colors.
Interested in a particular plant or have questions?
Please don't hesitate to contact us via this form or email, and we will reply as soon as possible.