AVN succeeds by helping you & your business succeed.
+100 years in the industry
The Double Play® Blue Kazoo® Spirea, a variety of Spiraea media, is a medium-sized, deciduous shrub that brings a unique aesthetic to any garden. It typically grows to a height and spread of 24 to 36 inches, making it an ideal choice for medium-sized garden spaces. The plant's foliage is a captivating feature, boasting a cool blue-green color with hints of burgundy in new growth. This foliage transitions into a stunning red hue in the fall, offering a seasonal spectacle.
The spirea's flowers are equally impressive. During early summer and late spring, it blooms with white flowers, adding a contrast to the blue and green foliage. This plant thrives in a variety of light conditions, from full sun to partial sun, needing about 4 to 6 hours of sunlight daily. It is categorized as easy to maintain, requiring only average water amounts, which makes it suitable for gardeners looking for low-maintenance landscaping options.
The Double Play® Blue Kazoo® Spirea, with its unique color palette and adaptable growth habits, offers a range of landscaping uses, making it a versatile choice for various garden designs:
- Border Planting: Its moderate size and striking foliage make it perfect for bordering garden paths or property lines. The cool blue-green leaves edged in burgundy create a vivid border contrast against green lawns or garden beds.
- Edging Plant: The uniform growth and neat mounded habit of this spirea make it ideal for edging around patios, walkways, or driveways. It can neatly define spaces while adding color and texture.
- Mass Planting: For a more dramatic effect, the Double Play Blue Kazoo can be planted in groups. Mass planting accentuates the plant's seasonal color changes, creating a stunning visual display in larger garden areas.
- Specimen or Focal Point: With its unique foliage and seasonal color shifts, this shrub can serve as a focal point in smaller gardens or within a mixed border. Its white flowers and colorful leaves make it a standout specimen.
- Mixed Borders: Integrating well with other plants, it can be used in mixed borders alongside perennials and other shrubs. The contrast of its foliage and flowers can enhance the overall aesthetic of a mixed planting scheme.
- Wildlife Gardens: The flowers of the spirea attract pollinators, making it a beneficial addition to wildlife or natural gardens.
- Cottage Gardens: Its rustic charm fits perfectly into cottage garden designs, contributing both color and a relaxed form.
- Urban and Residential Landscapes: Due to its easy-care nature and adaptability, it's suitable for urban settings, including residential landscaping where low maintenance is key.
In summary, the Double Play Blue Kazoo Spirea is a highly adaptable shrub that can serve various roles in a landscape, from creating structured borders to being a standout feature in a garden display. Its easy-care nature, combined with its stunning visual appeal, makes it a favored choice for both novice and experienced gardeners.
The Double Play® Blue Kazoo® Spirea is a resilient and easy-to-care-for plant, making it an excellent choice for gardeners of all skill levels. Here's how to plant and care for it:
- Timing: Plant in spring or early fall to allow roots to establish before extreme temperatures.
- Location: Choose a site with full sun to partial shade exposure. It needs at least 4-6 hours of sunlight daily.
- Soil: This spirea is adaptable to various soil types but prefers well-drained soil. It's not particularly fussy about soil pH.
- Spacing: Space plants 24 to 36 inches apart to allow for growth and air circulation.
- Planting Process: Dig a hole twice as wide and just as deep as the root ball. Gently loosen the roots, place the plant in the hole, and fill it with soil. Water thoroughly after planting.
- Watering: Water regularly to keep the soil moist, especially during the first growing season to establish a deep, extensive root system. Once established, the plant has average water needs and can tolerate some drought.
- Mulching: Apply a layer of mulch around the base to conserve moisture, reduce weeds, and protect the roots in winter.
- Fertilizing: Fertilize in early spring with a balanced, slow-release fertilizer to promote healthy growth and flowering.
- Pruning: Pruning is optional but can be done after flowering to maintain shape and encourage fresh growth. It's important not to prune in late fall or winter, as this can remove next season's flower buds.
- Deer Resistance: This plant is generally resistant to deer, making it suitable for areas where deer are a concern.
- Winter Care: In colder regions, additional winter protection may not be necessary as the plant is hardy in zones 3-8. However, a layer of mulch can provide extra insulation.
- Pest and Disease Management: Generally, this spirea is not prone to serious pest or disease issues. However, keep an eye out for common garden pests and treat as necessary.
By following these simple planting and care instructions, your Double Play Blue Kazoo Spirea will thrive, providing a beautiful display of foliage and flowers year after year.
- Plant Type: Shrub
- Watering Needs: Average; adaptable to various soil conditions, not fussy about watering
- Botanical Pronunciation: spy-REE-uh ME-dee-uh
- Deciduous/evergreen: Deciduous
- Growth rate: Moderate
- Average landscape size: Grows to a height and spread of 24-36 inches
- Special features: Deer Resistant, Easy Care, Dramatic Foliage Color
- Foliage color: Blue, Green, Red (Cool blue-green foliage with burgundy new growth, red fall color)
- Blooms: Early Summer, Late Spring
- Flower color: White
- Flower attributes: Large clusters of showy flowers
- Garden style: Cottage, Rustic, Informal
- Design Ideas: Ideal for mixed borders, foundation plantings, or as a standalone specimen. Works well in mass plantings or low hedges. The shifting foliage colors and white flowers add interest to wildlife gardens, cottage gardens, or urban settings.
- Companion Plants: Complements plants with contrasting foliage or flower colors, such as yellow or pink flowering perennials, or plants with dark green foliage.
Interested in a particular plant or have questions?
Please don't hesitate to contact us via this form or email, and we will reply as soon as possible.