AVN succeeds by helping you & your business succeed.
+100 years in the industry
The Double Play Doozie® Spirea is a deciduous shrub that brings a unique combination of attributes to any garden. It exhibits a mounded habit, growing to a compact size of 24 to 36 inches in both height and spread. This makes it an ideal choice for a variety of landscape uses, including as a border plant, container feature, edging plant, or a focal point in mass plantings. Its adaptability also extends to being a charming companion in perennial gardens.
The foliage of this spirea is a lively green, which serves as a striking backdrop to its vibrant flower colors. The flowers themselves are a captivating red-purple shade, creating a visually appealing contrast. This colorful display begins in late spring and continues throughout the summer into fall, thanks to the plant's ability to bloom on new wood.
In terms of care, the Double Play Doozie® is classified as an easy-to-maintain plant. It thrives best in full sun to part sun environments, requiring at least 4 to 6 hours of sunlight for optimal growth and blooming. The spirea is hardy across a wide range of zones, from 3a to 8b, making it a resilient choice for various climates. It has an average water requirement, balancing the need for moisture with good drought tolerance once established.
The Double Play Doozie® Spirea, with its vibrant colors and compact growth, offers a multitude of landscaping uses, making it a versatile choice for various garden designs:
- Border Planting: Its mounded habit and continuous blooming make it ideal for borders. The plant’s compact size ensures it fits neatly alongside walkways or garden borders without overwhelming the space.
- Container Gardening: This spirea thrives in containers, where its bright flowers and foliage can add a splash of color to patios, balconies, or entryways. Its moderate growth rate makes it manageable in pots.
- Mass Planting: Planting several Double Play Doozie® Spireas together creates a dramatic effect. The mass of red-purple flowers can serve as a vibrant ground cover or a striking feature in larger garden spaces.
- Specimen or Focal Point: With its eye-catching flowers and foliage, this spirea works well as a focal point in a garden. Planting it in a visible spot will draw attention throughout its long blooming season.
- Mixed Shrub and Perennial Beds: The Double Play Doozie® complements other shrubs and perennials, particularly those with contrasting foliage or bloom colors. It can be mixed in with other plants to create a diverse and layered garden design.
- Edging Plant: Given its short and mounded growth, it serves well as an edging plant along paths or garden beds, providing a defined and colorful edge.
- Landscape Accent: This spirea can be used as an accent plant within a larger landscape design, adding bursts of color and texture to the garden.
- Wildlife Gardens: While it is deer-resistant, the plant can still attract pollinators and beneficial insects, making it a suitable choice for wildlife or natural-style gardens.
- Urban and Small Space Gardens: Its compact size and low maintenance requirements make it ideal for urban gardens or small spaces where gardening is limited.
These versatile uses, combined with its easy care and stunning appearance throughout the growing season, make the Double Play Doozie® Spirea a valuable addition to a wide range of garden styles and designs.
The Double Play Doozie® Spirea is a low-maintenance and resilient plant, making it a great choice for gardeners of all skill levels. Here's how to plant and care for it:
- Timing: The best time to plant spirea is in the spring or fall, when the weather is cooler.
- Location: Choose a spot with full sun to partial shade. At least 4-6 hours of sunlight per day is ideal for optimal growth and flowering.
- Soil: This spirea thrives in well-drained soil. It's adaptable to various soil types, but avoiding overly wet or extremely dry soils is best.
- Planting Process:
- Dig a hole twice as wide as the root ball and the same depth.
- Gently remove the plant from its container and loosen the roots if they are tightly bound.
- Place the plant in the hole, ensuring it's at the same depth it was in the container.
- Backfill the hole with soil and water thoroughly.
- Spacing: If planting multiple shrubs, space them about 24 to 36 inches apart to allow for growth and air circulation.
- Watering: Water the spirea regularly during its first growing season to establish a deep, extensive root system. Once established, it has average water needs and can tolerate some drought.
- Mulching: Apply a layer of mulch around the base of the plant to help retain soil moisture and control weeds.
- Fertilizing: Feed with a general-purpose fertilizer before new growth begins in spring.
- Pruning: Pruning is not necessary for the Double Play Doozie® Spirea to bloom, but you can give it a light trim after the first bloom in late spring to encourage a reflush of bright red new growth. Also, removing the oldest stems every few years can keep the plant looking fresh and vigorous.
- Winter Care: In colder zones, you might want to provide some winter protection, like additional mulch around the base, especially in the first winter after planting.
- Pest and Disease Management: This plant is generally resistant to deer and doesn't have significant issues with pests and diseases. However, keeping an eye out for common garden pests and treating them promptly if they appear is always a good practice.
By following these straightforward planting and care guidelines, your Double Play Doozie® Spirea will be a healthy, vibrant addition to your garden, providing color and interest throughout its long blooming season.
- Plant Type: Shrub
- Watering Needs: Requires average watering, with more needed in extreme heat or when planted in containers.
- Botanical Pronunciation: spy-REE-ah
- Deciduous/evergreen: Deciduous
- Growth rate: Moderate
- Average landscape size: Grows to a compact size of 2-3 feet tall and 2-3 feet wide.
- Special features: Border Plant, Container, Landscape, Mass Planting, Specimen or Focal Point, Non-invasive, Continuous Bloom/Rebloomer, Deer Resistant
- Dramatic Foliage: Emerges in blazing brilliant deep red in early spring.
- Foliage color: Green
- Blooms: Late Spring through Fall
- Flower color: Red-Purple
- Flower attributes: Long Bloom Season, Showy Flowers
- Garden style: Cottage, Rustic, Traditional
- Design Ideas: Ideal for creating vibrant borders and mixed garden beds. Its continuous blooming makes it a standout in container gardens. Can be used as an accent plant or in mass plantings for a stunning display of color. Its compact size makes it suitable for small gardens and spaces.
- Companion Plants: Complements other shrubs and perennials in a mixed border, especially those with contrasting foliage or flower colors.
Interested in a particular plant or have questions?
Please don't hesitate to contact us via this form or email, and we will reply as soon as possible.