AVN succeeds by helping you & your business succeed.
+100 years in the industry
The Eternal Sunshine™ Abelia is an exquisite and versatile shrub that has become popular among gardeners and landscapers for its striking appearance and easy maintenance. This eye-catching plant is a hybrid of the Abelia genus, characterized by its vibrant foliage, abundant blooms, and attractive semi-evergreen habit. The Eternal Sunshine™ Abelia exhibits a compact, rounded growth habit, typically reaching heights of 3 to 4 feet and widths of 4 to 5 feet, making it a suitable choice for small gardens, borders, or as a focal point in a mixed landscape.
One of the most prominent features of the Eternal Sunshine™ Abelia is its brilliant foliage. The leaves boast a striking mix of golden-yellow and green hues, which become more vibrant and intense in full sun. As the seasons change, the foliage takes on a reddish-bronze hue in the autumn, adding a touch of warmth and depth to the landscape. This stunning foliage coloration is what sets Eternal Sunshine™ Abelia apart from other Abelia varieties and makes it a desirable addition to any garden.
The Eternal Sunshine™ Abelia is also known for its profusion of tubular, fragrant flowers that bloom from early summer until the first frost. The flowers are delicate, typically white or pale pink, and attract a wide range of pollinators, including butterflies, bees, and hummingbirds. As the flowers fade, they are replaced by small, reddish sepals, which provide additional visual interest throughout the year.
In terms of maintenance, the Eternal Sunshine™ Abelia is a low-maintenance, drought-tolerant plant that thrives in USDA Hardiness Zones 6 to 9. It prefers well-drained soil and can tolerate a range of soil types, including clay, loam, and sandy soils. For optimal growth and color, plant the Eternal Sunshine™ Abelia in a location that receives full sun to partial shade. Although it is relatively pest and disease resistant, it is crucial to keep an eye out for common issues like aphids or root rot to ensure the health and longevity of your Abelia.
The Eternal Sunshine™ Abelia is a stunning, low-maintenance shrub that adds a burst of color and life to any garden or landscape. With its vibrant foliage, abundant blooms, and adaptability to various conditions, this plant is an ideal choice for gardeners looking to create a visually striking and pollinator-friendly environment.
The Eternal Sunshine™ Abelia offers a multitude of landscaping uses due to its vibrant foliage, fragrant flowers, and compact growth habit. Here are some popular ways to incorporate this versatile plant into your landscape design:
- Foundation planting: The Eternal Sunshine™ Abelia's moderate size makes it ideal for foundation plantings, where it can soften the transition between the ground and the building. Its vibrant foliage and flowers provide visual interest and can brighten up the space around your home or office.
- Border or edging: Plant the Abelia along walkways, paths, or garden beds as a colorful border or edging. Its striking foliage and abundant blooms will create a lively and welcoming atmosphere.
- Mixed shrub border: Include the Eternal Sunshine™ Abelia in a mixed shrub border to add texture, color, and seasonal interest. Combine it with other shrubs, perennials, or ornamental grasses for a dynamic and diverse planting.
- Container gardening: Due to its compact size and adaptability, the Abelia can be grown in large containers, making it suitable for patios, balconies, or rooftop gardens. Combine it with other plants that have complementary foliage and flower colors for an eye-catching display.
- Wildlife garden: The fragrant flowers of the Eternal Sunshine™ Abelia attract a variety of pollinators, including bees, butterflies, and hummingbirds. Incorporate this plant into a wildlife garden to create a habitat that supports biodiversity and encourages pollinator activity.
- Mass planting: Plant several Eternal Sunshine™ Abelia shrubs together for a striking mass planting that creates a bold visual impact. This can be particularly effective on slopes or banks, where the vibrant foliage and flowers can be enjoyed from a distance.
- Focal point: Use the Eternal Sunshine™ Abelia as a focal point in your garden or landscape design. Its vibrant foliage and abundant blooms will draw attention and serve as an attractive centerpiece.
- Privacy screen or hedge: Plant the Abelia in a row or staggered pattern to create a low, informal hedge or privacy screen. The dense foliage will provide privacy and help to define garden spaces, while the flowers add color and fragrance.
By incorporating the Eternal Sunshine™ Abelia into your landscape design in any of these ways, you can enjoy the beauty and versatility of this stunning plant, while also providing a valuable habitat for pollinators.
Planting and caring for the Eternal Sunshine™ Abelia is relatively simple due to its low-maintenance nature and adaptability. Here are some essential steps and tips for planting and caring for this stunning shrub:
- Site selection: Choose a planting site that receives full sun to partial shade. The foliage color will be more vibrant in full sun, but the plant can tolerate partial shade as well. Ensure the site has well-draining soil to prevent root rot and other moisture-related issues.
- Soil preparation: The Eternal Sunshine™ Abelia can grow in a wide range of soil types, including clay, loam, and sandy soils. However, it is crucial to ensure the soil is well-draining. Amend the soil with organic matter, such as compost or well-rotted manure, to improve its structure and fertility.
- Planting: Dig a hole twice as wide and just as deep as the root ball of the Abelia. Gently remove the plant from its container and loosen the roots if necessary. Place the plant in the hole, ensuring the top of the root ball is level with the surrounding soil. Fill the hole with soil and firm it gently around the roots to eliminate air pockets.
- Watering: Water the newly planted Abelia thoroughly to help settle the soil around the roots. Continue to water the plant regularly during its first growing season, ensuring the soil remains consistently moist but not waterlogged. Once established, the Eternal Sunshine™ Abelia is relatively drought-tolerant and will require less frequent watering.
- Mulching: Apply a layer of organic mulch around the base of the plant to help conserve moisture, suppress weeds, and regulate soil temperature. Keep the mulch a few inches away from the stem to prevent moisture-related issues.
- Fertilizing: Feed the Abelia with a balanced slow-release fertilizer in early spring to promote healthy growth and flowering. Follow the instructions on the fertilizer package for proper application rates.
- Pruning: Prune the Eternal Sunshine™ Abelia in late winter or early spring before new growth begins. Remove any dead, damaged, or diseased branches and thin out overcrowded growth to maintain the plant's shape and encourage air circulation. You can also lightly shape the plant for aesthetic purposes, but be aware that heavy pruning may reduce flowering.
- Pest and disease control: The Eternal Sunshine™ Abelia is generally pest and disease resistant. However, keep an eye out for common problems like aphids, spider mites, or root rot. Address any issues promptly using appropriate cultural or chemical control methods.
- Height: 2-3'
- Width: 4-6'
- Hardiness Zone: 6-9
- Heat Zone: 9
- Exposure: Full Sun
- Habit: Mounding
- Flower Color: Pink
- Foliage: Yellow
Interested in a particular plant or have questions?
Please don't hesitate to contact us via this form or email, and we will reply as soon as possible.