AVN succeeds by helping you & your business succeed.
+100 years in the industry
The Firedance™ Dogwood (Cornus 'Firedance') is an enchanting and versatile ornamental plant that boasts an array of stunning attributes. This hybrid cultivar is a result of selective breeding between Cornus species to create a plant with exceptional beauty and resilience. Adorned with striking colors, the Firedance™ Dogwood is a delightful addition to any garden, serving as an impressive focal point or a lovely backdrop to other plants.
One of the most captivating features of the Firedance™ Dogwood is its vibrant foliage. Throughout the growing season, the leaves display a lively combination of green and white variegation. As the temperatures drop in the fall, the foliage transforms into a mesmerizing blend of red, orange, and purple hues, creating an unforgettable autumnal display. This captivating color palette lends visual interest to any landscape, making it an ideal choice for gardeners looking to add a touch of drama and flair to their outdoor spaces.
The Firedance™ Dogwood is also well-known for its striking floral display. In the late spring to early summer, the plant produces clusters of small, white flowers that contrast beautifully against the bold foliage. These blossoms create an eye-catching spectacle that is not only visually appealing but also serves to attract pollinators like bees, butterflies, and hummingbirds. This makes the Firedance™ Dogwood an excellent choice for gardeners interested in supporting local ecosystems and wildlife.
In addition to its stunning visual attributes, the Firedance™ Dogwood is a hardy and adaptable plant that is well-suited to a variety of growing conditions. It thrives in USDA hardiness zones 5 through 9, tolerating both full sun and partial shade. The plant is also relatively low-maintenance, requiring only minimal pruning to maintain its shape and encourage healthy growth. The Firedance™ Dogwood is also resistant to many common pests and diseases, making it an excellent choice for novice and experienced gardeners alike.
With its captivating colors, enchanting floral display, and robust nature, the Firedance™ Dogwood is a truly exceptional plant that will add a touch of magic to any garden. Its versatility and resilience make it an ideal candidate for a wide range of landscapes, ensuring that it will be a cherished addition to any outdoor space for years to come.
The Firedance™ Dogwood is a versatile plant that offers numerous landscaping uses, making it a popular choice for gardeners and landscape designers. Its striking appearance, hardiness, and adaptability make it suitable for various landscape designs and purposes. Here are some of the most common landscaping uses for the Firedance™ Dogwood:
- Specimen Plant: With its vibrant foliage and stunning floral display, the Firedance™ Dogwood makes an excellent specimen plant. It can be used as a focal point in the garden, drawing attention and creating visual interest. Placing it in a prominent location will allow its unique features to be admired by all who pass by.
- Mixed Borders and Beds: The Firedance™ Dogwood can be incorporated into mixed borders and flower beds, providing an exciting contrast to other plants. Its bold colors and textures can help to create a layered and dynamic garden design. Pair it with plants of varying heights, colors, and textures to achieve a harmonious and visually appealing landscape.
- Woodland Gardens: Due to its tolerance of partial shade, the Firedance™ Dogwood is an ideal choice for woodland gardens or areas with dappled shade. Its natural beauty and adaptability allow it to blend seamlessly with other native and woodland plants, creating a serene and picturesque environment.
- Wildlife Gardens: The Firedance™ Dogwood's flowers attract a variety of pollinators, such as bees, butterflies, and hummingbirds. Including this plant in a wildlife garden can help support local ecosystems and promote biodiversity. Planting it alongside other pollinator-friendly plants will create an inviting haven for these essential creatures.
- Foundation Plantings: The Firedance™ Dogwood can be used as part of foundation plantings around homes and buildings. Its moderate size, hardiness, and low-maintenance requirements make it a practical choice for this purpose. Its striking appearance can also help to soften architectural lines and add curb appeal to your property.
- Screening and Privacy: When planted in groups or as a hedge, the Firedance™ Dogwood can create an attractive and natural privacy screen. Its dense branching structure and foliage can help block unwanted views or separate different areas of the garden, providing both visual and acoustic privacy.
With its myriad landscaping uses and captivating beauty, the Firedance™ Dogwood is a versatile and valuable addition to any garden or landscape design. Its unique features and adaptability make it a popular choice for a wide range of settings and purposes, ensuring that it will continue to be a cherished plant for years to come.
Planting and caring for the Firedance™ Dogwood is relatively straightforward, making it an excellent choice for both novice and experienced gardeners. To ensure the health and longevity of your Firedance™ Dogwood, follow these planting and care guidelines:
- Site Selection: Choose a location in your garden that provides full sun to partial shade. Ideally, the plant should receive at least 4-6 hours of sunlight daily. The Firedance™ Dogwood can tolerate a variety of soil types, but well-draining soil is essential to prevent root rot. It prefers slightly acidic to neutral soil with a pH range of 5.5 to 7.0.
- Planting: Dig a hole that is twice as wide and just as deep as the root ball of your Firedance™ Dogwood. Gently loosen the roots before placing the plant in the hole, ensuring that the top of the root ball is level with the surrounding soil. Backfill the hole with soil, firming it gently to remove air pockets. Water the plant thoroughly to help settle the soil around the roots.
- Mulching: Apply a 2-3 inch layer of organic mulch, such as wood chips or shredded bark, around the base of the plant. This will help retain moisture, regulate soil temperature, and suppress weeds. Be sure to leave a small gap between the mulch and the trunk of the plant to prevent rot and discourage pests.
- Watering: The Firedance™ Dogwood prefers consistently moist, but not waterlogged, soil. Water your plant regularly, especially during the first year after planting, to help it establish a strong root system. Adjust your watering schedule based on rainfall and soil conditions, ensuring that the soil remains evenly moist.
- Fertilizing: Apply a balanced, slow-release fertilizer in the early spring, following the manufacturer's instructions. This will provide the necessary nutrients for healthy growth and optimal foliage and flower production. Be cautious not to over-fertilize, as this can cause foliage burn and other issues.
- Pruning: Prune your Firedance™ Dogwood in the late winter or early spring, while the plant is still dormant. Remove any dead, damaged, or diseased branches, as well as any branches that are crossing or rubbing against each other. Pruning helps maintain the plant's shape, encourage healthy growth, and improve air circulation, reducing the risk of disease.
- Pest and Disease Management: The Firedance™ Dogwood is resistant to many common pests and diseases. However, it is essential to monitor your plant for any signs of problems. If you notice issues such as leaf spots, powdery mildew, or pest infestations, take prompt action by applying the appropriate treatment or consulting with a local expert.
- Height: 3-4'
- Width: 3-4'
- Hardiness Zone: 4-7
- Heat Zone: 7
- Exposure: Full Sun
- Habit: Mounding
- Shape: Compact, mounded
- Flower Color: White
- Foliage: Dark Green
Interested in a particular plant or have questions?
Please don't hesitate to contact us via this form or email, and we will reply as soon as possible.