AVN succeeds by helping you & your business succeed.
+100 years in the industry
The 'Firefly Sunshine' Yarrow is distinguished by several notable attributes that make it a valued addition to gardens and landscapes. This Achillea hybrid shines with its bright yellow flowers that bloom profusely from early to late summer, providing a continuous display of vibrant color. The flowers are set against dark gray-green foliage, creating a striking contrast that enhances the visual appeal of this plant. The upright habit of the 'Firefly Sunshine' Yarrow contributes to its structured look, making it an excellent choice for adding vertical interest to garden designs.
Award-winning for its beauty and performance, 'Firefly Sunshine' is not only a feast for the eyes but also a boon for local ecosystems. It attracts bees and butterflies, serving as a vital source of nectar for these beneficial pollinators. The presence of these pollinators helps to ensure the health of the garden and supports biodiversity. Despite its attractiveness to pollinators, 'Firefly Sunshine' has the added advantage of being resistant to deer and rabbits, making it a resilient choice for gardens prone to these visitors.
The 'Firefly Sunshine' Yarrow offers a multitude of landscaping uses, making it a versatile addition to various garden designs and themes. Here are some specific ways to incorporate this vibrant perennial into your landscaping projects:
- Border Planting: 'Firefly Sunshine' Yarrow's upright habit and bright yellow blooms make it an excellent choice for borders along walkways, garden edges, or between different garden sections. Its striking color provides a beautiful contrast against green foliage plants or darker flowers.
- Cut Flower Gardens: This Yarrow variety is perfect for a cut flower garden. Its long-lasting blooms in bright yellow are ideal for fresh bouquets, adding a splash of color to indoor spaces. Additionally, the flowers can be dried and used in arrangements, offering versatility in floral designs.
- Mass Planting: For a dramatic impact, use 'Firefly Sunshine' Yarrow in mass plantings. Large groups of these plants create a sea of yellow, bringing a lively and vibrant atmosphere to garden spaces. This approach is particularly effective in large beds or as a colorful ground cover in sunny areas.
- Drought-Tolerant Landscapes: Given its drought tolerance, 'Firefly Sunshine' Yarrow is a prime candidate for xeriscaping or drought-prone areas. It can thrive with minimal watering once established, making it a sustainable choice for water-wise gardens.
- Wildlife Gardens: Attracting bees and butterflies, this Yarrow contributes to the health of pollinators. Planting it in wildlife gardens not only supports biodiversity but also ensures a garden full of life and activity.
- Coastal Gardens: Its salt tolerance makes 'Firefly Sunshine' Yarrow suitable for coastal gardens, where it can withstand the challenging conditions of seaside environments.
- Containers: This perennial also adapts well to container gardening. Placed in pots or planters, it can decorate patios, balconies, or any outdoor space needing a touch of color. Its upright growth and colorful blooms make it an attractive centerpiece or complement to mixed container arrangements.
- Erosion Control: The robust root system of 'Firefly Sunshine' Yarrow helps stabilize soil, making it a useful plant for erosion control on slopes or areas prone to soil degradation.
- Firescaping/Fire Wise: Suitable for fire-wise landscaping, this plant can be incorporated into designs aimed at reducing fire risk, thanks to its resistance to deer and rabbits, which ensures it remains a reliable component of such landscapes.
Incorporating 'Firefly Sunshine' Yarrow into your garden or landscape brings not only aesthetic appeal with its bright yellow flowers and gray-green foliage but also ecological benefits by supporting pollinators and offering low-maintenance, drought-tolerant gardening solutions.
Planting and caring for 'Firefly Sunshine' Yarrow is straightforward, making it an excellent choice for gardeners of all levels. Here's how to ensure your Yarrow thrives:
- Timing: Plant 'Firefly Sunshine' Yarrow in the spring or early fall to allow it time to establish before the extreme temperatures of winter or summer.
- Location: Choose a spot in your garden that receives full sun. Yarrow thrives in areas that get at least 6 hours of direct sunlight daily.
- Soil: This plant prefers well-drained soil. Although it can tolerate poor soil conditions, avoid overly rich or moist soils to prevent leggy growth and promote flowering.
- Spacing: Space plants about 24 to 28 inches apart to ensure adequate air circulation and room for growth.
- Planting: Dig a hole as deep and twice as wide as the root ball. Remove the plant from its container, loosen the roots gently, and place it in the hole. Fill the hole with soil, press firmly, and water thoroughly.
- Watering: Water the plants regularly to keep the soil moist until they are established. Once established, 'Firefly Sunshine' Yarrow is drought-tolerant and will only require watering during prolonged dry spells or extreme heat, especially when planted in containers.
- Mulching: Apply a layer of mulch around the base of the plant to help retain soil moisture and suppress weeds.
- Fertilizing: Minimal fertilization is needed. If desired, you can apply a general-purpose, slow-release fertilizer in the spring to support growth.
- Pruning: After the first flush of blooms fades, cut the plant back by about half to encourage a second blooming and to maintain a compact form. Remove spent flowers to promote continuous blooming.
- Winter Care: In zones where 'Firefly Sunshine' Yarrow is perennial, it can be left in the garden over winter. In late fall, after the first frost, cut back the foliage to ground level. Mulch over the area to protect the roots in colder zones.
- Pest and Disease Management: 'Firefly Sunshine' Yarrow is relatively disease and pest-resistant. However, watch for aphids or fungal diseases in humid conditions. Apply organic or chemical controls only as necessary, following label instructions.
- Avoid overwatering and rich soils to prevent the plant from becoming leggy and to encourage more vibrant blooms.
- 'Firefly Sunshine' Yarrow's tolerance for poor soil makes it a great candidate for rock gardens and other low-maintenance areas.
- Consider its attraction to bees and butterflies when choosing a location, placing it where these pollinators can be easily observed and enjoyed.
By following these planting and care instructions, your 'Firefly Sunshine' Yarrow will be a beautiful, vibrant addition to your garden, attracting wildlife and providing color throughout the summer months.
- Plant Type: Perennial
- Watering Needs: Average; requires well-drained soil. Drought tolerant once established, but may need more frequent watering in extreme heat or when planted in containers.
- Botanical Pronunciation: a-KILL-ee-a hy-BRID
- Deciduous/evergreen: Herbaceous
- Growth rate: Medium
- Average landscape size: Reaches 28-30” tall and 24-28” wide at maturity.
- Special features: Award Winner, Border Plant, Cut Flower, Dried Flower, Mass Planting, Drought Tolerant, Salt Tolerant, Attracts Bees, Attracts Butterflies, Deer Resistant, Rabbit Resistant
- Dramatic Foliage: Dark gray-green foliage
- Foliage color: Green
- Blooms: Summer (Early Summer to Late Summer)
- Flower color: Yellow
- Flower attributes: Bright, showy flowers
- Garden style: Cottage, Mediterranean, Rustic
- Design Ideas: Ideal for adding vibrant color to summer borders and flower beds. Works well in cottage and Mediterranean garden styles, as well as in mass plantings for a bold display of color. Suitable as a cut flower for fresh bouquets or dried floral arrangements. Can be planted alongside pathways and patios where its pollinator-attracting qualities can be enjoyed. Use as a focal point in drought-tolerant or low-maintenance gardens.
- Companion Plants: Lavender, Salvia, Coneflower, Russian Sage, Sedum
Interested in a particular plant or have questions?
Please don't hesitate to contact us via this form or email, and we will reply as soon as possible.