AVN succeeds by helping you & your business succeed.
+100 years in the industry
Firegold® Spirea (Spiraea x vanhouttei 'Levgold') is a distinctive and vibrant plant that has made its mark in many landscapes due to its striking golden foliage and brilliant pink flowers. It is known for its vibrant color display and its versatility as a garden plant.
The Firegold® Spirea is a compact, deciduous shrub that typically grows to a height of 4-6 feet and spreads to a similar width. It boasts an appealing rounded habit, with arching branches that produce a fountain-like effect. The foliage is a standout feature of this plant, showcasing tiny, narrowly oval leaves with serrated edges that begin as a bright golden yellow in spring and transition to a beautiful yellow-green as the summer progresses. This foliage contrasts brilliantly with the clusters of rosy-pink flowers that emerge in late spring to early summer.
The flowers of the Firegold® Spirea are small, but their numerous blossoms formed in corymbs create a magnificent, showy spectacle. They are particularly attractive to butterflies and other pollinators, adding a dynamic element to any garden.
This variety of spirea is extremely hardy and can grow well in a wide range of soil types, from clay to loam to sand. While it can tolerate partial shade, it thrives in full sun, which also helps to maintain its vibrant foliage color. The Firegold® Spirea has a moderate growth rate and requires minimal pruning, mainly for shaping purposes or to remove any damaged branches.
Firegold® Spirea is an exceptional choice for use as a colorful hedge, in mixed borders, or as a standalone accent plant. Its consistent golden foliage and showy pink flowers offer a striking color contrast, making it a valuable addition to any landscape design.
Firegold® Spirea offers a wide array of uses in landscape design due to its vibrant color, compact size, and hardy nature. Here are some popular ways it can be incorporated into a landscaping plan:
- Colorful Hedging: Given its compact and rounded growth habit, Firegold® Spirea is an excellent choice for a low hedge or border. Its stunning gold foliage and pink flowers provide a beautiful, lively boundary that can define areas in your garden or along walkways.
- Mixed Borders: The plant's vibrant coloring can bring much-needed contrast to mixed borders. It pairs well with plants that have deep green or purple foliage, where it can stand out and offer a pop of color.
- Accent Plant: Firegold® Spirea can serve as a standalone accent plant in your garden or yard due to its distinctive foliage and attractive, pink flowers. It can become a focal point, drawing attention and adding visual interest to your landscape.
- Foundation Planting: It can be used as part of a foundation planting scheme. Its small size, vibrant color, and minimal care requirements make it an ideal choice for planting near buildings or structures.
- Mass Planting: Due to its consistent color and form, Firegold® Spirea works well in mass plantings, creating a sea of golden foliage and pink flowers that is sure to make a visual impact.
- Pollinator Gardens: Since Firegold® Spirea's flowers attract butterflies and other pollinators, it is an excellent addition to a pollinator garden or a butterfly garden.
- Container Planting: Its compact size and ornamental qualities make it suitable for container planting. This can add versatility to your landscape design, allowing you to move the plant to different locations based on the season or your design needs.
- Erosion Control: Due to its hardy nature and ability to grow in various soil types, it can be used on slopes or banks for erosion control.
Always remember that despite its adaptability, the Firegold® Spirea thrives best under full sun and in well-drained soil conditions. Regular watering and occasional pruning will help maintain its vibrant display and health.
Planting and caring for Firegold® Spirea is generally straightforward, as it's a resilient and versatile shrub. Here are some guidelines for planting and care:
- Location: Choose a site that gets full sun to partial shade. Firegold® Spirea thrives best in full sun, which enhances the vibrancy of its golden foliage.
- Soil: This plant can tolerate a wide range of soil types, including clay, loam, and sandy soil. However, the soil should be well-draining to prevent water-logging.
- Spacing: If you're planting multiple shrubs, ensure each spirea has enough room to grow. Space them about 2-3 feet apart to accommodate their mature width.
- Planting: Dig a hole twice as wide as the root ball but no deeper. Place the plant in the hole, making sure the top of the root ball is level with the soil surface. Backfill the hole with soil and tamp down to eliminate air pockets.
- Watering: Water the plant regularly, especially during dry periods. While established plants are somewhat drought-tolerant, they prefer evenly moist soil.
- Fertilizing: Feed the plant with a balanced, slow-release fertilizer in early spring to promote vigorous growth. Always follow the manufacturer's instructions when applying fertilizer.
- Pruning: Prune Firegold® Spirea in late winter or early spring before new growth begins. Pruning helps maintain its shape and encourages the growth of new flowering wood. Remove dead or damaged wood whenever you notice it.
- Mulching: Mulching around the base of the plant can help retain soil moisture and suppress weeds. However, be sure to leave a gap around the stem to prevent potential rotting.
- Pests and Diseases: Monitor for common pests like aphids and caterpillars, and diseases such as leaf spot or powdery mildew. Most of these issues can be managed with cultural practices or appropriate treatments if caught early.
By following these planting and care guidelines, your Firegold® Spirea can become a reliable and striking feature in your landscape for years to come.
- Height: 4-6'
- Width: 5-7'
- Hardiness Zone: 4-8
- Heat Zone: 6
- Exposure: Full Sun
- Habit: Vase-Shaped
- Flower Color: White
- Foliage: Yellow
Interested in a particular plant or have questions?
Please don't hesitate to contact us via this form or email, and we will reply as soon as possible.