AVN succeeds by helping you & your business succeed.
+100 years in the industry
Discover More Information On French Cabaret™ Red Hibiscus
French Cabaret™ Red Hibiscus is a double-flower, sterile hibiscus with an upright habit and bright red flowers. Growing in clusters of three to five pom-pom blooms, the red color and double flower appear carnation-like, bringing an unexpected and beautiful texture to the garden all summer and into fall. A vigorous grower, French Cabaret™ Red fills in quickly to a large shrub with big impact in the mid-season landscape. Bred by Minier Nursery in France.
The French Cabaret™ Red Hibiscus, also known as Hibiscus rosa-sinensis 'French Cabaret Red,' is a stunning tropical plant known for its showy, large red flowers and lush, green foliage. This plant is a popular choice for garden enthusiasts looking to add a touch of exotic beauty to their outdoor spaces or as an impressive indoor container plant. The following paragraphs detail some of the key attributes of this vibrant hibiscus variety.
Appearance: The most striking feature of the French Cabaret™ Red Hibiscus is its bold, crimson-red flowers, which can reach up to 6-8 inches in diameter. Each bloom consists of numerous overlapping petals that create a full, ruffled appearance, reminiscent of a French cabaret dancer's costume. The flowers also boast a prominent central stamen with a column of bright yellow anthers, providing a stunning contrast to the red petals. The plant's glossy, deep green leaves are ovate in shape and can grow up to 6 inches long, creating a dense and lush backdrop for the vibrant flowers.
Growth Habits: The French Cabaret™ Red Hibiscus is a relatively fast-growing plant that can reach a mature height of 8-10 feet and a spread of 6-8 feet, making it an ideal focal point in a garden or landscape. However, if grown in a container, the plant can be kept more compact through regular pruning. The plant typically blooms from late spring to early fall, with each flower lasting for about a day before being replaced by a new one. This continuous blooming habit ensures a spectacular display throughout the season.
Cultural Requirements: This hibiscus variety thrives in USDA hardiness zones 9-11, where it can be grown outdoors year-round. In colder climates, it can be grown as a container plant and brought indoors during the winter months. The French Cabaret™ Red Hibiscus prefers well-draining, fertile soil with a slightly acidic to neutral pH (6.0-7.0). It should be planted in a location that receives full sun to part shade, ensuring at least 6 hours of direct sunlight per day for optimal growth and flower production.
Watering and Fertilization: The French Cabaret™ Red Hibiscus requires consistent moisture and should be watered regularly to keep the soil evenly moist but not soggy. During periods of extreme heat or when grown in containers, the plant may need daily watering. It is important to avoid overwatering, as this can lead to root rot. For optimal growth and flowering, a balanced, slow-release fertilizer should be applied every 4-6 weeks during the growing season.
Pest and Disease Control: The French Cabaret™ Red Hibiscus is relatively resistant to common pests and diseases. However, it can occasionally be affected by aphids, whiteflies, and spider mites. These pests can be managed by regularly inspecting the plant and using insecticidal soap or other appropriate treatments if needed. To prevent diseases such as root rot, proper watering practices and well-draining soil are essential.
The French Cabaret™ Red Hibiscus is a versatile plant that can be utilized in various landscaping applications due to its striking appearance and growth habits. Here are some of the most common landscaping uses for this beautiful hibiscus variety:
- Focal point: With its large, showy red flowers and lush green foliage, the French Cabaret™ Red Hibiscus makes a stunning focal point in any garden or landscape. Plant it as a centerpiece in a garden bed or a standalone specimen in the yard to draw attention and create visual interest.
- Mixed borders: Incorporate the French Cabaret™ Red Hibiscus into mixed borders with other flowering plants or shrubs. Its vibrant red blooms and glossy green leaves can provide an excellent contrast to plants with different textures, colors, and bloom times, creating a dynamic and eye-catching display.
- Tropical-themed gardens: The exotic appearance of the French Cabaret™ Red Hibiscus makes it a perfect addition to a tropical-themed garden, where it can be combined with other bold and colorful tropical plants such as cannas, bird of paradise, and elephant ears.
- Privacy screen or hedge: When planted in a row or a staggered arrangement, the dense growth habit of the French Cabaret™ Red Hibiscus can create an effective privacy screen or hedge, providing a beautiful and natural barrier between different areas of your garden or property.
- Container gardening: For those with limited space or living in colder climates, the French Cabaret™ Red Hibiscus can be grown in large containers and placed on patios, decks, or balconies. This allows for easy movement and protection during the winter months while still providing a stunning floral display.
- Poolside planting: The French Cabaret™ Red Hibiscus's tropical flair makes it an ideal choice for planting around pools, spas, or water features, where its vibrant red blooms can create a relaxing and resort-like atmosphere.
- Coastal gardens: Due to its tolerance of salt spray and sandy soils, the French Cabaret™ Red Hibiscus can be incorporated into coastal garden designs, adding a splash of color and life to seaside landscapes.
Planting & Care
Planting and caring for the French Cabaret™ Red Hibiscus requires attention to its specific needs in terms of location, soil, watering, fertilization, and pruning. By following these guidelines, you can ensure your plant thrives and produces its stunning red blooms throughout the growing season.
- Location: Select a location that receives full sun to part shade, with at least 6 hours of direct sunlight per day. This will promote healthy growth and encourage abundant flowering. Ensure that the plant is sheltered from strong winds to protect the large, delicate blooms.
- Soil: The French Cabaret™ Red Hibiscus prefers well-draining, fertile soil with a slightly acidic to neutral pH (6.0-7.0). If your soil is heavy clay or very sandy, consider amending it with organic matter such as compost or well-rotted manure to improve drainage and fertility.
- Planting: Dig a hole that is twice as wide and just as deep as the plant's root ball. Gently remove the plant from its container and loosen the roots if they are pot-bound. Place the plant in the hole, making sure that the top of the root ball is level with the surrounding soil surface. Fill the hole with soil, gently firming it around the root ball. Water the plant thoroughly to settle the soil and eliminate air pockets.
- Watering: The French Cabaret™ Red Hibiscus requires consistent moisture and should be watered regularly to keep the soil evenly moist but not soggy. During periods of extreme heat or when grown in containers, the plant may need daily watering. Be careful not to overwater, as this can lead to root rot.
- Fertilization: Apply a balanced, slow-release fertilizer every 4-6 weeks during the growing season to promote healthy growth and abundant flowering. Follow the package instructions for the correct application rate based on the size of your plant.
- Pruning: To maintain the desired shape and size, prune the French Cabaret™ Red Hibiscus during late winter or early spring, before new growth begins. Remove any dead, damaged, or crossing branches, and trim back the overall growth by one-third to one-half. Regular pruning also encourages bushier growth and more prolific flowering.
- Pest and Disease Control: Regularly inspect your plant for signs of pests such as aphids, whiteflies, or spider mites. If needed, treat with insecticidal soap or other appropriate treatments. To prevent diseases like root rot, ensure proper watering practices and well-draining soil are used.
- Overwintering: In USDA hardiness zones 5-8, the French Cabaret™ Red Hibiscus can be grown outdoors year-round. In colder climates, it can be grown as a container plant and brought indoors during the winter months. Place the plant in a bright, sunny spot and reduce watering to prevent root rot. Be prepared for some leaf drop during the transition, which is normal.
French Cabaret™ Red Hibiscus
- Height: 5-8'
- Width: 4-7'
- Hardiness Zone: 5-8
- Heat Zone: 7
- Exposure: Full Sun
- Habit: Upright
- Flower Color: Red
- Foliage: Dark Green
Interested in a particular plant or have questions?
Please don't hesitate to contact us via this form or email, and we will reply as soon as possible.