AVN succeeds by helping you & your business succeed.
+100 years in the industry
The Groovy Grape™ Butterfly Bush (Buddleja davidii 'Groovy Grape') is a stunning and versatile deciduous shrub, prized for its vibrant grape-purple flower spikes and exceptional ability to attract pollinators. Native to central China, this ornamental plant has become a popular choice for gardeners worldwide due to its hardiness, showy blooms, and low maintenance requirements. With its eye-catching appearance and delightful fragrance, the Groovy Grape™ Butterfly Bush is sure to be a standout in any landscape.
This cultivar of Buddleja davidii typically grows to a height of 5-6 feet (1.5-1.8 meters) and spreads about 4-5 feet (1.2-1.5 meters) wide, making it an ideal choice for borders, hedges, or as a specimen plant. The Groovy Grape™ Butterfly Bush exhibits a bushy and well-branched growth habit, with arching stems adorned with lance-shaped, gray-green leaves that contrast beautifully with the vibrant blooms.
The Groovy Grape™ Butterfly Bush's most notable feature is its captivating flower spikes, which appear from early summer to the first frost. Each flower spike consists of hundreds of tiny, tubular blooms densely packed together, creating a delightful display of color that is irresistible to butterflies, hummingbirds, and bees. The fragrant blooms not only enchant pollinators but also add a pleasing sensory experience to any garden.
Easy to grow and relatively drought-tolerant, the Groovy Grape™ Butterfly Bush thrives in full sun and well-draining soil. It is hardy in USDA zones 5-9, making it suitable for a wide range of climates. To encourage abundant blooming and maintain a tidy appearance, it is recommended to prune the shrub in late winter or early spring, cutting back the previous year's growth to about one-third its height.
In summary, the Groovy Grape™ Butterfly Bush is a beautiful and low-maintenance addition to any garden, providing vibrant color, delightful fragrance, and an irresistible attraction for pollinators. With its versatile growth habit and hardy nature, this plant is sure to be a favorite among gardeners and wildlife alike.
The Groovy Grape™ Butterfly Bush (Buddleja davidii 'Groovy Grape') offers a variety of landscaping uses due to its striking appearance, hardy nature, and ability to attract pollinators. Here are some popular ways to incorporate this versatile plant into your landscape design:
- Border Plantings: With its medium height and bushy growth habit, the Groovy Grape™ Butterfly Bush makes an excellent choice for planting along property lines or as an informal hedge. Its vibrant flower spikes create a stunning visual barrier and add a pop of color to any border.
- Wildlife Garden: The Groovy Grape™ Butterfly Bush is a magnet for pollinators such as butterflies, hummingbirds, and bees. Planting it in a wildlife garden not only provides a valuable nectar source for these creatures but also adds beauty and fragrance to the space.
- Mixed Shrub Border: Combine the Groovy Grape™ Butterfly Bush with other deciduous and evergreen shrubs of varying heights, textures, and colors to create a dynamic and visually interesting mixed shrub border. This can provide year-round interest and enhance the overall aesthetic of your landscape.
- Specimen Plant: The vibrant grape-purple blooms and delightful fragrance make the Groovy Grape™ Butterfly Bush an eye-catching focal point when planted as a specimen or accent plant. It can be used to draw attention to a particular area in the garden or to create a stunning visual contrast with other plants.
- Container Plantings: For those with limited space or who desire mobility, the Groovy Grape™ Butterfly Bush can be grown in large containers. This allows for versatility in placement and the opportunity to move the plant to different areas of the garden or patio as desired.
- Butterfly Garden: Plant the Groovy Grape™ Butterfly Bush alongside other butterfly-attracting plants like milkweed, coneflowers, and asters to create a dedicated butterfly garden. This will not only attract a diverse array of pollinators but also provide a stunning, colorful display throughout the growing season.
Planting and caring for a Groovy Grape™ Butterfly Bush is relatively easy, as it is a low-maintenance and hardy plant. Here are some guidelines to help you establish and maintain a healthy and thriving shrub:
- Site Selection: Choose a location that receives full sun (at least 6 hours of direct sunlight per day) for the best growth and flower production. The Groovy Grape™ Butterfly Bush can tolerate partial shade but may produce fewer blooms in such conditions. Ensure that the site has well-draining soil, as the plant is susceptible to root rot in poorly drained conditions.
- Planting: Dig a hole twice the width of the root ball and slightly deeper than its height. Gently loosen the roots, and place the plant in the hole, ensuring that the top of the root ball is level with the surrounding soil. Fill the hole with soil, firming it down to eliminate any air pockets. Water the plant thoroughly to settle the soil around the roots.
- Watering: The Groovy Grape™ Butterfly Bush is relatively drought-tolerant once established. However, during the first year, water the plant regularly to encourage deep root development. After that, water as needed during extended dry periods, ensuring the soil does not become overly saturated.
- Fertilizing: Apply a slow-release, balanced fertilizer (such as a 10-10-10 formula) in early spring to promote healthy growth and abundant flowering. Follow the manufacturer's recommendations for application rates.
- Mulching: Apply a 2-3 inch (5-7.5 cm) layer of organic mulch, such as bark chips or shredded leaves, around the base of the plant to help retain soil moisture, suppress weeds, and regulate soil temperature. Be sure to leave a gap around the stem to prevent rot and disease.
- Pruning: Prune the Groovy Grape™ Butterfly Bush in late winter or early spring before new growth emerges. Cut back the previous year's growth to about one-third of its height to encourage vigorous new growth and an abundance of blooms. Remove any dead, damaged, or crossing branches as needed throughout the growing season to maintain the health and appearance of the plant.
- Pest and Disease Control: While generally resistant to most pests and diseases, the Groovy Grape™ Butterfly Bush can be susceptible to spider mites, aphids, and root rot in poorly drained soils. Monitor the plant regularly for signs of infestation or disease, and treat with appropriate measures, such as insecticidal soap or improved soil drainage, as needed.
By following these planting and care guidelines, you can ensure that your Groovy Grape™ Butterfly Bush will thrive in your garden, providing a stunning display of vibrant, grape-purple blooms and attracting a variety of pollinators throughout the growing season.
- Height: 8-10'
- Width: 6-8'
- Exposure: Full Sun
- Hardiness Zone: 5-9
- Heat Zone: 9
- Shape: Rounded to upright
- Flower Color: Purple
- Foliage: Green
Interested in a particular plant or have questions?
Please don't hesitate to contact us via this form or email, and we will reply as soon as possible.