AVN succeeds by helping you & your business succeed.
+100 years in the industry
- Low-Growing: Ground Hug® is a ground-hugging plant with a sprawling growth habit, forming a dense and attractive carpet of foliage close to the ground.
- Beautiful Foliage: This plant boasts lush green foliage that remains vibrant throughout the growing season, providing an enduring visual appeal.
- Delicate Blossoms: Ground Hug® features delicate and charming blossoms that add bursts of color and elegance to your landscape.
- Low Maintenance: Once established, Ground Hug® requires minimal maintenance, making it an ideal choice for busy gardeners and landscaping projects.
- Erosion Control: Its dense growth helps stabilize soil on slopes, making it an effective natural erosion control solution.
- Versatile: Ground Hug® is versatile in its uses, suitable for filling gaps in gardens, creating borders, or lining pathways.
- Year-Round Appeal: With its changing foliage and blossoms throughout the seasons, Ground Hug® provides year-round visual interest.
- Sustainability: Ground Hug® supports sustainable gardening practices by conserving water, reducing the need for chemical treatments, and attracting local wildlife.
- Adaptable to Various Climates: This plant is adaptable to a variety of climates, ensuring it can thrive in different environmental conditions.
- Easy to Grow: Ground Hug® is easy to cultivate, making it suitable for both experienced and novice gardeners.
- Nature's Beauty: It adds a touch of natural beauty and elegance to any landscape, enhancing its overall aesthetic appeal.
- Groundcover: Ground Hug® Aronia is an ideal choice for groundcover in both residential and commercial landscapes. Its low-growing, dense habit helps suppress weeds, stabilize soil, and create a lush carpet of greenery.
- Erosion Control: Due to its spreading growth and hardiness, Ground Hug® Aronia is excellent for erosion control on slopes, embankments, or areas prone to soil erosion. Its robust root system helps prevent soil erosion and improves soil stability.
- Pathway Borders: Plant Ground Hug® Aronia along pathways and walkways to create attractive borders. Its compact growth and colorful foliage can define the edges of paths, adding visual interest and guiding visitors through your garden.
- Rock Gardens: Incorporate Ground Hug® Aronia into rock gardens to soften the rugged appearance of rocks and stones. Its vibrant foliage and seasonal blooms complement the natural beauty of a rock garden.
- Under Trees and Shrubs: Use this low-maintenance groundcover under trees and larger shrubs to create a visually appealing underplanting. Ground Hug® Aronia can fill in the space and add an extra layer of greenery beneath taller plants.
- Slopes and Hillsides: Plant Ground Hug® Aronia on slopes and hillsides to prevent soil erosion and create an attractive, low-maintenance landscape. Its spreading growth habit helps anchor the soil and minimize runoff.
- Wildlife Gardens: Since it's native to North America and produces berries, Ground Hug® Aronia can attract wildlife like birds and pollinators to your garden. It provides both food and shelter, making it a valuable addition to wildlife-friendly landscapes.
- Low-Maintenance Landscapes: Ground Hug® Aronia is an excellent choice for those seeking low-maintenance landscaping solutions. Once established, it requires minimal care, making it perfect for busy homeowners or landscapes with limited maintenance resources.
- Fall Color: Take advantage of Ground Hug® Aronia's stunning fall foliage. Plant it in areas where you want to enjoy vibrant red and purple foliage during the autumn season.
- Drought-Tolerant Landscapes: This plant's drought tolerance makes it suitable for xeriscaping or landscaping in regions with water restrictions. It can thrive with minimal irrigation once it's established.
- Select the Right Location: Choose a well-drained location with part sun to full sun exposure. Ground Hug® Aronia can adapt to various soil conditions, but it thrives in average, slightly acidic to neutral soil.
- Prepare the Soil: Before planting, ensure the soil is loose and well-drained. Amend heavy or clay soils with organic matter to improve drainage.
- Planting Depth: Dig a hole that is slightly larger than the plant's root ball. Plant the Ground Hug® Aronia at the same depth it was in its nursery container.
- Spacing: Space multiple Ground Hug® Aronia plants about 36 inches apart to allow them room to spread and create a dense groundcover.
- Watering: Water the newly planted Aronia thoroughly to help settle the soil and remove air pockets. Keep the soil consistently moist but not waterlogged during the first growing season to promote root establishment.
- Mulching: Apply a 2-3 inch layer of mulch around the base of the plant to conserve moisture, suppress weeds, and maintain a more consistent soil temperature.
- Watering: Once established, Ground Hug® Aronia is drought-tolerant. However, it's essential to provide regular watering during dry spells, especially in the plant's early years. Deep, infrequent watering is preferable to shallow, frequent watering.
- Pruning: Prune your Ground Hug® Aronia immediately after flowering in the spring, if desired. This is the best time to shape the plant or remove any dead or damaged branches. Be aware that pruning at this time may remove the potential for fruit formation.
- Fertilization: Ground Hug® Aronia typically doesn't require heavy fertilization. A balanced, slow-release fertilizer in the spring can provide the necessary nutrients. Avoid excessive nitrogen, which can promote excessive foliage growth at the expense of berries.
- Pest and Disease Management: Ground Hug® Aronia is generally resistant to pests and diseases. However, monitor for common garden pests and address any issues promptly.
- Deer and Wildlife: While Ground Hug® Aronia is relatively deer-resistant, you may want to protect young plants from browsing by using deer fencing or repellents, especially during the early spring when food is scarce.
- Winter Protection: In colder climates, consider applying a layer of mulch around the base of the plant in late fall to help insulate the roots and protect them from extreme cold temperatures.
- Hardiness Zones: Ground Hug® Aronia is a hardy plant that can thrive in a wide range of zones, from Zone 3A to Zone 9B. Its adaptability to various climates makes it suitable for many regions.
- Growth Habit: This plant is a native shrub known for its dense ground-hugging growth habit. It naturally forms a lush groundcover, making it an excellent choice for transforming challenging areas into beautiful, low-maintenance plantings.
- Seasonal Interest: In the spring, Ground Hug® Aronia produces clusters of dainty white flowers that provide a stunning visual display. As fall approaches, dark purple berries develop, complemented by outstanding red foliage, adding vibrant colors to your landscape.
- Durability: Ground Hug® Aronia is exceptionally durable and can thrive in challenging soil and environmental conditions. It's a tough and resilient plant, making it suitable for various landscaping challenges.
- Functional Benefits: This plant serves multiple purposes in your landscape, including weed suppression, soil stabilization, and enhancing the beauty of difficult areas. It's an excellent choice for erosion control.
- Native to North America: Ground Hug® Aronia is native to North America, making it a great addition for those looking to incorporate native plants into their landscaping.
- Size Category: It falls into the short height category, typically reaching a height of 8 to 14 inches with a spread and spacing of 36 inches.
- Flower and Foliage: Ground Hug® Aronia features white flowers in the spring, providing a delicate and attractive contrast to its glossy green foliage.
- Sun and Light Requirements: It thrives in part sun to sun conditions, making it adaptable to a range of light levels.
- Maintenance: Ground Hug® Aronia is an easy-to-maintain plant that requires little care. Pruning can be done after flowering if desired, but be aware that this may remove the potential for fruit to form.
- Soil Preferences: It can tolerate various soil conditions and has average soil fertility requirements. Ground Hug® Aronia can adapt to acidic, alkaline, or neutral soils.
- Utilization: This plant is best used as a groundcover and excels in such a role.
- Deer Resistance: While not entirely deer-resistant, Ground Hug® Aronia is relatively resistant to deer and rabbit browsing. These animals may eat flower buds in early spring but are unlikely to cause significant damage to the plant itself.
Interested in a particular plant or have questions?
Please don't hesitate to contact us via this form or email, and we will reply as soon as possible.