AVN succeeds by helping you & your business succeed.
+100 years in the industry
attractive flowers. The blooms are a lovely combination of pink, white, and yellow, with each flower starting with a bright yellow center that gradually fades into a soft pink, creating an apple blossom-like effect. This color transition adds a unique charm to the plant, making it a standout in any garden setting.
In terms of growth and structure, this potentilla variety maintains a compact and mounded form, with a height and spread ranging from 12 to 24 inches. This moderate size makes it an excellent choice for various garden roles, such as a filler in containers, a border plant, or even as a groundcover. Its foliage is a vibrant green, which not only complements the flower colors but also provides a lush background throughout the growing season
The Happy Face Hearts® Potentilla fruticosa is a versatile plant that can be used in various landscaping applications due to its moderate size, attractive blooms, and resilience. Here are some of its primary landscaping uses:
- Border Plant: Its compact and mounded growth habit makes it ideal for borders in gardens. The colorful and long-lasting blooms provide a visually appealing edge to garden beds and walkways.
- Container Gardening: This potentilla can be planted in containers, where its moderate size and attractive foliage and flowers can add charm to patios, balconies, and deck areas.
- Edging Plant: It works well as an edging plant, defining garden paths and borders with its neat, mounded form and vibrant flowers.
- Groundcover: When planted in mass, Happy Face Hearts® can serve as an effective and colorful groundcover, covering large areas with its dense foliage and flowers.
- Mass Planting: This plant is excellent for mass planting, creating a sea of color in larger garden spaces. Its long bloom time ensures a consistent display of flowers through multiple seasons.
- Landscape Focal Point: Due to its unique flower coloration and long blooming period, it can be used as a focal point in small garden spaces or in mixed beds.
- Wildlife Garden: Its resistance to deer and rabbits makes it suitable for wildlife-friendly gardens, where it can add color without being heavily browsed.
- Mixed Flower Gardens: The Happy Face Hearts® can be mixed with other perennials and shrubs, providing contrast in texture and color, especially in cottage-style gardens.
- Rustic and Naturalistic Landscapes: Its hardiness and native range across North America make it a good fit for rustic and naturalistic landscape designs.
- Urban and Suburban Landscapes: Its adaptability to different light conditions and resilience to urban pollution make it suitable for urban and suburban gardens.
Overall, the Happy Face Hearts® Potentilla fruticosa offers a blend of aesthetic appeal, durability, and ease of maintenance, making it a valuable addition to a wide range of landscape designs.
The Happy Face Hearts® Potentilla fruticosa is a hardy and adaptable shrub, but it does best when given proper planting and care. Here’s a guide to help you get the most out of this delightful plant:
- Timing: Plant in spring or early fall to allow roots to establish before extreme weather.
- Location: Choose a location with part sun to full sun exposure (4-6 hours of sun minimum).
- Soil: Prefers well-drained soil; adaptable to various soil types, but avoid waterlogged conditions.
- Planting Depth and Spacing: Plant at the same depth it was in its container. Space plants 12-24 inches apart, depending on the desired density.
Care and Maintenance:
- Watering: Water regularly after planting to establish roots. Once established, it has average water needs and can tolerate some drought. In extreme heat or when planted in containers, more frequent watering may be necessary.
- Mulching: Apply mulch around the base to retain moisture and regulate soil temperature.
- Fertilizing: Use a balanced, slow-release fertilizer in early spring.
- Pruning: Pruning is not usually necessary but can be done to maintain shape and size. If you choose to prune, do so in early spring before new growth begins.
- Winter Care: This plant is cold-hardy but providing extra mulch in winter can help in the coldest zones.
- Pest and Disease Management: Generally, it’s not prone to serious pest or disease problems. Monitor for common garden pests and treat as necessary.
- Sunlight: Although adaptable, more sun usually leads to more blooms.
- Heat Tolerance: Flowers may fade in extreme heat but will revive as temperatures cool.
- Longevity: Regular trimming every few seasons can help rejuvenate the plant and maintain its vigor.
By following these guidelines, your Happy Face Hearts® Potentilla should thrive, providing beautiful blooms from spring through fall and adding a charming touch to your garden for many years.
- Plant Type: Shrub
- Watering Needs: Average water requirements; consistent moisture enhances blooming but plant is drought-tolerant once established.
- Botanical Pronunciation: poe-TEN-til-uh froo-tih-KOH-suh
- Deciduous/Evergreen: Deciduous
- Growth Rate: Moderate
- Average Landscape Size: Moderate growth; reaches 12 - 24 inches in height and spread.
- Special Features: Border Plant, Container, Edging Plant, Groundcover, Landscape, Mass Planting, Deer Resistant, Rabbit Resistant, Long Blooming, North American Native
- Foliage Color: Green
- Blooms: Spring to Fall
- Flower Color: Pink, White, Yellow
- Flower Attributes: Long blooming, showy flowers with a color transition from yellow to white to pink.
- Garden Style: Cottage, Rustic, Wildlife
- Design Ideas: Ideal for creating a charming garden border or as part of a mass planting for a colorful, long-blooming display. Its resistance to deer and rabbits makes it suitable for rural and suburban gardens. Can be planted in containers for patio or balcony gardens.
- Companion Plants: Consider pairing with plants that have contrasting foliage or flowering time, such as late-blooming perennials or ornamental grasses for a varied garden display.
Interested in a particular plant or have questions?
Please don't hesitate to contact us via this form or email, and we will reply as soon as possible.