AVN succeeds by helping you & your business succeed.
+100 years in the industry
The HAPPY FACE® Pink Paradise Potentilla is a plant rich in attributes that make it a highly desirable addition to any garden. This deciduous shrub, part of the PROVEN WINNERS® COLORCHOICE® Flowering Shrubs collection, boasts a compact and mounding growth habit, making it perfect for a variety of garden designs, including borders, containers, and mass plantings. It reaches a moderate size, typically growing to a height and spread of 2 to 3 feet, which allows it to fit comfortably in both small and large spaces.
One of the most striking features of this plant is its beautiful pink flowers. The blooms are large, light pink, and semi-double, creating a visually appealing display from late spring or early summer through to late summer. These flowers are not only visually captivating but also beneficial to local wildlife, as they attract bees and butterflies, enhancing the biodiversity of the garden.
The HAPPY FACE® Pink Paradise Potentilla offers a variety of landscaping uses, making it a versatile choice for many garden designs and themes. Here are some of its primary landscaping applications:
- Border Plantings: Its moderate size and long bloom time make it an ideal choice for border plantings. The Pink Paradise can be used to create vibrant, colorful edges along walkways, garden beds, or property lines.
- Container Gardening: This Potentilla's compact growth habit makes it suitable for container gardening. It can be planted in pots or planters, adding a splash of color to patios, balconies, or deck areas.
- Mass Planting: For a dramatic effect, the Pink Paradise can be planted en masse. This creates a sea of pink blooms, which is particularly striking during its long flowering period.
- Wildlife Gardens: The plant is known for attracting bees and butterflies, making it an excellent choice for wildlife or pollinator gardens. Its inclusion can help support local ecosystems.
- Mixed Shrub Borders: It can be combined with other shrubs and perennials in mixed borders. Its pink flowers can complement a variety of foliage and flower colors, adding diversity and visual interest.
- Cottage Gardens: The plant’s charming pink blooms and informal growth habit make it a perfect fit for cottage garden designs, where it can contribute to a relaxed, naturalistic feel.
- Low Maintenance Landscapes: Given its ease of care and durability, Pink Paradise is well-suited for low-maintenance landscapes. It's a great choice for gardeners looking for attractive plants that don't require extensive upkeep.
- Deer-Resistant Plantings: In areas with deer pressure, this plant is an excellent choice due to its deer resistance. It can provide beauty without the risk of being damaged by wildlife.
Incorporating the HAPPY FACE® Pink Paradise Potentilla into a landscape provides not only aesthetic appeal with its lovely pink blooms but also practical benefits, such as attracting beneficial pollinators and requiring minimal maintenance. Its versatility in various garden styles and settings makes it a valuable addition to any gardening project.
The HAPPY FACE® Pink Paradise Potentilla is a delightful and resilient shrub that thrives with proper planting and care. Here are some guidelines to help ensure its healthy growth and abundant flowering:
- Timing: The best time to plant the Pink Paradise Potentilla is in the spring or fall when the weather is cooler. This timing helps the plant establish roots without the stress of extreme heat or cold.
- Location: Choose a location that receives full sun (at least 6 hours of direct sunlight per day). This plant thrives in sunny spots.
- Soil Preparation: Potentilla prefers well-drained soil. If your soil is heavy clay or too sandy, amend it with compost or organic matter to improve drainage and nutrient content.
- Planting Depth and Spacing: Dig a hole that is as deep as the root ball and twice as wide. Place the plant in the hole so that the top of the root ball is level with the ground surface. Backfill the hole with soil and water thoroughly. Space plants approximately 2 to 3 feet apart to allow for growth and air circulation.
- Watering After Planting: Water the plant deeply after planting to settle the soil around the roots. Keep the soil consistently moist but not waterlogged during the first growing season to establish a deep, extensive root system.
- Watering: Once established, Pink Paradise Potentilla is relatively drought-tolerant but benefits from occasional watering, especially in extreme heat or if grown in containers. The soil should be allowed to dry out slightly between watering.
- Mulching: Apply a layer of mulch around the base of the plant to conserve soil moisture, regulate soil temperature, and reduce weed growth.
- Fertilizing: Feed the plant in early spring with a balanced, slow-release fertilizer to support healthy growth and flowering.
- Pruning: Prune about a third of the oldest branches to the ground in late winter or early spring. This helps to rejuvenate the plant and encourages more vigorous growth and flowering. Dead or damaged branches should be removed as needed.
- Pest and Disease Management: Potentilla is generally resistant to pests and diseases. However, keeping an eye out for common issues and addressing them promptly is advisable.
- Winter Care: In colder zones, additional mulch can be added around the base of the plant for winter protection.
By following these planting and care instructions, your HAPPY FACE® Pink Paradise Potentilla should thrive, providing a long season of beautiful pink blooms and enhancing the beauty of your garden landscape.
- Plant Type: Shrub
- Watering Needs: Moderate to moist soil moisture needs; tolerates a range of conditions.
- Botanical Pronunciation: po-ten-TIL-a fru-ti-KO-sa
- Deciduous/evergreen: Deciduous
- Growth rate: Moderate
- Average landscape size: Typically grows 2-3 feet tall and 2-3 feet wide.
- Special features: Border, Container, Mass Planting, Deer Resistant, Attracts Bees and Butterflies, Low Maintenance, Reblooming
- Foliage color: Dark, healthy foliage
- Blooms: Late Spring or Early Summer through Late Summer
- Flower color: Pink Shades
- Flower attributes: Large, Light Pink, Semi-Double Blooms
- Garden style: Cottage, Wildlife Garden, Casual
- Design Ideas: Ideal for creating a colorful border or mass planting in a garden. Its compact size makes it suitable for containers. The long blooming period and attractive foliage make it a versatile choice for various landscape designs. Its deer resistance and ability to attract pollinators like bees and butterflies make it a valuable addition to wildlife gardens.
- Companion Plants: Suitable for pairing with other low-maintenance perennials and shrubs that prefer similar growing conditions.
Interested in a particular plant or have questions?
Please don't hesitate to contact us via this form or email, and we will reply as soon as possible.