AVN succeeds by helping you & your business succeed.
+100 years in the industry
The Happy Face® White Potentilla (Potentilla fruticosa) is a deciduous shrub that stands out with its striking attributes. This variety is celebrated for its vibrant, pure white flowers, which bloom profusely from early to late summer. These large flowers create a stunning contrast against the shrub's dark green foliage, adding a burst of color to any garden. With a garden height of 24 to 36 inches and a similar spread, this shrub maintains a compact and mounded habit, making it an excellent choice for various landscape designs, including mass plantings and borders.
One of the key features of the Happy Face® White Potentilla is its adaptability to different sun exposures. It thrives in conditions ranging from part sun to full sun, needing a minimum of four to six hours of sunlight each day. This feature makes it versatile for placement in different areas of a garden. Its foliage, a lush green, provides a continuous backdrop of color throughout the growing season.
The Happy Face® White Potentilla (Potentilla fruticosa) offers versatile landscaping uses, making it a popular choice for various garden designs and applications:
- Mass Plantings: With its compact size and abundant white blooms, this shrub is ideal for creating impactful mass plantings. When planted in groups, it forms a sea of white flowers that can brighten up any landscape.
- Border Plantings: Its moderate height and spread make it perfect for border plantings along walkways, driveways, or garden edges. It adds structure and a continuous flowering element to borders.
- Foundation Plantings: The Happy Face® White can be used around building foundations to soften architectural lines and add natural beauty. Its deciduous nature and seasonal interest make it an excellent choice for this purpose.
- Mixed Shrub and Perennial Beds: It pairs well with a variety of other shrubs and perennials. The white flowers complement a wide range of colors, making it a versatile choice for mixed beds.
- Container Gardens: Suitable for container planting, this Potentilla can be used to adorn patios, balconies, or terraces. It adds a touch of elegance to container compositions, especially when combined with other colorful annuals or perennials.
- Cottage Gardens: Its natural, bushy appearance and charming white flowers fit perfectly into the relaxed style of cottage gardens.
- Wildlife Gardens: Being native to North America, it is a good choice for wildlife gardens, attracting pollinators and beneficial insects.
- Commercial Landscapes: Its low maintenance requirements, coupled with its hardiness and long blooming period, make it a suitable choice for commercial landscapes such as parks, public gardens, and business complexes.
- Coastal Areas: The salt tolerance of the Happy Face® White Potentilla makes it a great option for coastal landscapes where salt spray can be an issue.
- Xeriscaping: Due to its ability to tolerate dry conditions once established, it can be incorporated into water-wise or xeriscape gardens, contributing to a sustainable landscape.
In all these uses, the Happy Face® White Potentilla brings not only aesthetic appeal with its flowers and foliage but also practical benefits like low maintenance and adaptability to various environmental conditions.
The Happy Face® White Potentilla (Potentilla fruticosa) is a low-maintenance shrub that thrives with proper planting and care. Here are key guidelines to ensure its healthy growth and abundant flowering:
- Time of Planting: Plant in spring or early fall to allow the roots time to establish before extreme weather conditions.
- Site Selection: Choose a location with part sun to full sun exposure, ensuring the plant receives at least four to six hours of sunlight daily.
- Soil Requirements: This potentilla prefers moist, well-drained soil. It can tolerate a range of soil types, including clay, loam, and sandy soils.
- Spacing: Space plants about 36 to 48 inches apart to allow for growth and air circulation.
- Planting Depth: Plant at the same depth as it was in the container. Ensure the root ball is level with the surrounding soil surface.
- Watering: Water thoroughly after planting. Continue to water regularly during the first growing season to establish a deep, extensive root system.
Care and Maintenance:
- Watering: Once established, the Happy Face® White is drought-tolerant. Water occasionally, more frequently in extreme heat or if planted in containers.
- Fertilizing: Apply a balanced fertilizer in early spring to support healthy growth and flowering.
- Pruning: Prune about one-third of the oldest branches in late winter or early spring to maintain a healthy, bushy shape and to promote new growth and flowering.
- Mulching: Apply a layer of mulch around the base of the plant to retain soil moisture and suppress weeds.
- Pest and Disease Management: Generally, this shrub is resistant to deer and doesn't have significant problems with pests or diseases. Monitor for common garden pests and treat as necessary.
- Winter Care: In colder climates, it's hardy down to Zone 2. However, applying a protective layer of mulch before winter can help insulate the roots in very cold regions.
By following these planting and care instructions, the Happy Face® White Potentilla will be a robust and beautiful addition to your garden, offering a long season of white blooms and green foliage.
- Plant Type: Shrub
- Watering Needs: Prefers moist, well-drained soils; tolerates dry conditions once established.
- Botanical Pronunciation: po-ten-TIL-a froo-ti-KO-sa
- Deciduous/evergreen: Deciduous
- Growth rate: Moderate
- Average landscape size: Grows to 2-3 feet tall and wide.
- Special features: Border Plant, Landscape, Mass Planting, Salt Tolerant, Resistant to deer, Native to North America
- Foliage color: Green
- Blooms: Summer
- Flower color: White
- Flower attributes: Large, showy flowers
- Garden style: Traditional, Cottage
- Design Ideas: Ideal for mass plantings and mixed borders. Its compact size makes it perfect for small gardens and spaces. Can be used as a filler in container gardens.
- Companion Plants: Complements a variety of annuals and perennials, especially those with contrasting flower and foliage colors.
Interested in a particular plant or have questions?
Please don't hesitate to contact us via this form or email, and we will reply as soon as possible.