AVN succeeds by helping you & your business succeed.
+100 years in the industry
The Illuminati Tower® Mockorange (Philadelphus coronarius) is a captivating shrub that boasts a number of desirable attributes, making it a standout choice for gardeners and landscape designers. One of its most striking features is its exposure flexibility, as it thrives equally well in partial sun and full sun conditions. This adaptability allows it to be planted in a variety of settings, from sunny garden spots to areas with some afternoon shade.
A notable characteristic of this plant is its blooming season, which falls in spring. During this period, it produces an abundance of fragrant white flowers. These blossoms not only enhance the aesthetic appeal of the plant with their visual beauty but also emit a delightful fragrance reminiscent of orange blossoms, adding a sensory experience to the garden.
The Illuminati Tower® Mockorange (Philadelphus coronarius) offers versatile landscaping uses due to its unique characteristics and growth habit. Here are some of the primary ways this plant can be utilized in landscaping:
- Vertical Accent in Mixed Borders: Its upright, tower-like growth makes it an excellent choice for adding vertical interest in mixed borders. The plant's narrow form allows it to fit into smaller spaces without overwhelming other plants.
- Stand-Alone Specimen: The distinct appearance and fragrant white flowers make it a stunning standalone specimen. This is ideal for creating a focal point in a garden or landscape.
- Space-Saving Hedge: Its moderate height and narrow spread make it perfect for a low, space-saving hedge. This can be particularly useful in urban gardens or smaller spaces where traditional, wider hedges might be too imposing.
- Container Gardening: The Illuminati Tower® Mockorange can be grown in containers, making it a great option for patios, balconies, or areas where ground planting isn't feasible.
- Foundation Planting: Its size and shape make it suitable for foundation planting, providing a natural, yet structured look against buildings or along walkways.
- Mixed Perennial and Shrub Beds: It can be mixed with perennials and other shrubs to create a varied and interesting landscape. Its white flowers and dark green foliage provide a beautiful contrast to other plants.
- Cottage and Traditional Gardens: The plant's old-fashioned charm is a perfect fit for cottage-style and traditional gardens. Its fragrant flowers add to the sensory experience of these garden styles.
- Urban and Small-Space Gardens: Due to its vertical growth habit and moderate size, it is well-suited for urban gardens and other small spaces where ground area is limited.
In summary, the Illuminati Tower® Mockorange is a versatile and visually appealing plant that can be used in various landscaping scenarios, from adding vertical interest in mixed borders to serving as a beautiful standalone specimen. Its unique growth habit and fragrant flowers make it a valuable addition to a wide range of garden styles and designs.
The Illuminati Tower® Mockorange (Philadelphus coronarius) is a delightful and relatively easy-to-care-for plant. Here's a guide on how to plant and care for it:
- Timing: Plant in early spring or fall when the weather is cooler.
- Location: Choose a spot with part sun to full sun exposure. It thrives in areas that receive at least 4-6 hours of sunlight daily.
- Soil: This mockorange prefers well-drained soil. It's adaptable to a variety of soil types, but avoid overly wet or extremely dry soils.
- Spacing: Space plants about 3-4 feet apart to allow for mature spread.
- Planting Depth: Dig a hole as deep as the root ball and twice as wide. Place the plant in the hole so that the top of the root ball is level with the soil surface. Fill in with soil and gently tamp down.
- Watering: Water thoroughly after planting.
- Watering: Water regularly during the first growing season to establish a deep, extensive root system. Once established, it requires only occasional watering, more so in extreme heat or if in containers.
- Fertilizing: Apply a general-purpose fertilizer before new growth begins in spring.
- Pruning: Prune after flowering if necessary. Since it blooms on old wood, any major pruning done in late fall or winter could remove the next season's flowers.
- Mulching: Apply a layer of mulch around the base to conserve moisture and reduce weeds.
- Winter Care: In colder zones, it's hardy and typically doesn't require special winter care. However, a layer of mulch can provide extra insulation.
- Pests/Diseases: This plant is generally pest-free and deer-resistant. Monitor for common garden pests and treat as necessary.
- Sunlight Adaptability: While it prefers a sunny location, it can tolerate part sun, making it versatile for different garden spots.
- Drought Tolerance: Once established, it has good drought tolerance, making it suitable for regions with occasional water scarcity.
- Deer Resistance: It's known to be resistant to deer, which is a bonus in areas where deer are a common garden nuisance.
Overall, the Illuminati Tower® Mockorange is a low-maintenance, resilient plant that brings beauty and fragrance to the garden with minimal fuss. Its adaptability to various sun exposures and soil types, along with its drought tolerance and deer resistance, make it a favorable choice for many gardeners.
- Plant Type: Shrub
- Watering Needs: Average water requirements; more in extreme heat or containers.
- Botanical Pronunciation: fill-a-DEL-fuss ko-ro-NAIR-ee-us
- Deciduous/Evergreen: Deciduous
- Growth Rate: Moderate
- Average Landscape Size: Grows to a height of 5-6 feet and spreads 3-4 feet wide.
- Special Features: Fragrant Flower, Drought Tolerant, Resists Deer, Border Plant, Container, Landscape
- Dramatic Foliage: Dark green foliage
- Foliage Color: Green
- Blooms: Late Spring to Early Summer
- Flower Color: White
- Flower Attributes: Fragrant white flowers that resemble orange blossoms
- Garden Style: Suitable for a variety of garden styles, including traditional and cottage gardens
- Design Ideas: Ideal for creating vertical interest in mixed borders or as a standalone specimen. Its narrow, upright habit makes it perfect for small spaces or urban gardens. Can be used as a low but space-saving hedge, or mixed with perennials and other shrubs in landscape designs.
- Companion Plants: Complements a variety of perennials and other shrubs; works well with plants that have contrasting forms and foliage.
Interested in a particular plant or have questions?
Please don't hesitate to contact us via this form or email, and we will reply as soon as possible.