AVN succeeds by helping you & your business succeed.
+100 years in the industry
The INCREDIBALL® Blush hydrangea, botanical name Hydrangea arborescens 'NCHA4', is a proud member of the Proven Winners ColorChoice Flowering Shrubs brand. This plant is uniquely identified by its Patent and Certificate of Registration numbers, PP#28,280 and CBR#5624, marking its distinguished position among horticultural varieties. One of the most captivating attributes of this plant is its pink flower color, which presents a delightful visual display. Adding to its charm is the reblooming characteristic, where the plant continuously produces fresh flowers through the autumn season.
The strong stems of the INCREDIBALL® Blush hydrangea are a noteworthy feature, providing a robust support for the extra large blooms. These blooms are not just large, but bear a unique and appealing shade of silvery-pink which is sure to catch the eye.
The growth dynamics of this plant are equally appealing. It reaches a mature height and width of 4 to 5 feet, showcasing a deciduous growth habit. The blooming phase is a long-lasting spectacle, beginning in summer and extending into the fall, making it a garden favorite for an extended period. The foliage, colored a lush green, provides a beautiful backdrop for the pink blooms, creating a stunning contrast that enhances its aesthetic appeal. Suited to USDA Hardiness Zones 3 to 8, the INCREDIBALL® Blush hydrangea showcases a remarkable resilience to cold temperatures, able to withstand lows of -40°F/-40°C. It's adaptable to varying sunlight exposure, thriving in both full sun to part sun conditions.
The INCREDIBALL® Blush hydrangea, with its captivating large silvery-pink blooms and robust growth, offers a myriad of landscaping uses which can significantly enhance the aesthetic and structural appeal of gardens and outdoor spaces. Here are some of the landscaping uses for this remarkable plant:
- Focal Point Creation: With its large, appealing blooms, the INCREDIBALL® Blush hydrangea serves as a natural focal point in a garden setting. Its distinctive flower color and form can draw attention and create a visually pleasing center of interest.
- Border Planting: Its mature size of 4 to 5 feet in both height and width makes it an excellent choice for border planting, where it can create a well-defined edge to garden beds or pathways.
- Mixed Shrub Borders: The INCREDIBALL® Blush hydrangea can be combined with other shrubs to create mixed borders. Its unique silvery-pink blooms provide a beautiful contrast to shrubs with different flower colors and foliage types.
- Foundation Planting: This hydrangea can be used near building foundations to soften the lines of the structure and add a splash of color. Its moderate size makes it suitable for such applications without overshadowing the architecture.
- Cottage Gardens: The old-world charm of hydrangeas makes the INCREDIBALL® Blush a perfect fit for cottage-style gardens, adding a touch of romanticism with its delicate pink blooms.
- Container Gardening: For those with limited space or those desiring mobility in garden design, the INCREDIBALL® Blush hydrangea can be grown in large containers. Its vibrant blooms make a dramatic statement in container gardens.
- Cut Flower Gardens: The blooms of INCREDIBALL® Blush hydrangea are not only long-lasting on the plant, but also as cut flowers. They can be used to create elegant floral arrangements, fresh or dried.
- Mass Planting: Planting these hydrangeas in masses can create a stunning visual impact, especially when in full bloom.
- Wildlife Habitat: Hydrangeas can also serve as habitat for beneficial insects, providing nectar for pollinators during the blooming season.
- Screening: Although not a tall shrub, when planted in a row or cluster, the INCREDIBALL® Blush hydrangea can provide a low screen or divider within a garden, delineating spaces while adding beauty.
- Planting Time: Spring or fall are the ideal times to plant hydrangeas.
- Location: Select a location that receives full sun to partial sun. While this hydrangea can tolerate a range of light conditions, morning sun with afternoon shade is generally favorable.
- Soil Preparation: Ensure the soil is well-draining and rich in organic matter. You can improve soil quality by adding compost or well-rotted manure.
- Planting Hole: Dig a hole as deep as the root ball and 2-3 times as wide.
- Placement: Remove the plant from its container and place it in the hole, making sure the top of the root ball is level with the surrounding soil.
- Backfilling: Fill in the hole with soil, gently firming it around the root ball to eliminate air pockets.
- Watering: Water the plant thoroughly after planting to settle the soil.
- Watering: Hydrangeas prefer consistently moist soil. Water the plant deeply once or twice a week, more during hot or dry periods.
- Mulching: Apply a layer of mulch around the base of the plant to help retain soil moisture and regulate soil temperature.
- Fertilizing: Apply a slow-release, balanced fertilizer in early spring. You can also use a fertilizer specially formulated for hydrangeas.
- Pruning: Pruning is typically not necessary, but if desired, prune in late winter or early spring to maintain shape and size.
- Winter Care: In colder regions, consider applying a thicker layer of mulch around the base of the plant for extra winter protection.
- Pest and Disease Monitoring: Regularly check the plant for signs of pests or diseases. If detected, treat with appropriate remedies as soon as possible.
- Support: Although INCREDIBALL® Blush hydrangea has strong stems, consider providing support if the plant is laden with large blooms to prevent any damage.
- Botanical Name: Hydrangea arborescens
- Form: Shrub
- Sun Exposure: Full sun to Part sun
- Height/Habit: 48 – 60 inches
- Spread: 48 – 60 inches
- Spacing: Information not provided, but typically spaced based on spread.
- Hardiness Zone: 3-8
- Flowering Date: Blooms summer through fall
- Planting Instructions: Not specified, but typically set at the same level it is at in the container, firm and water thoroughly.
- Winter Care: None specified, but mulching could be beneficial in northern zones during the first winter if fall planted.
- Growth Rate: Not specified, but finish time is 1 season which indicates a relatively quick establishment.
- Shipping Season: Not specified.
- Flower Color: Pink
- Flower Form: Not specified, but similar to other hydrangeas, it may have globe-like flower clusters.
- Foliage Type: Green
- Pruning: Not specified, but typically prune to maintain a desired size or to remove any wild branches, or dead wood in spring.
- Soil Requirement: Not specified, but typically prefers well-drained, moisture retentive soil.
Interested in a particular plant or have questions?
Please don't hesitate to contact us via this form or email, and we will reply as soon as possible.