AVN succeeds by helping you & your business succeed.
+100 years in the industry
The Invincibelle® Ruby Smooth Hydrangea is a deciduous shrub that falls into the medium height category, showcasing a mature height of 3-4 feet and a spread of 2-3 feet. Its mounded habit makes it an attractive addition to any garden, serving various roles from border plantings to focal points in landscapes. The foliage of this hydrangea is a lush, vibrant green, providing a beautiful backdrop for its unique flowers. The blooms are a captivating ruby red and silvery pink, creating a two-toned effect that stands out brilliantly against the greenery.
These flowers bloom on new wood, ensuring a consistent and reliable blooming season every summer. The plant is categorized as easy to maintain, needing just a regular pruning in the spring and a layer of mulch to retain soil moisture. Additionally, it thrives in part sun to full sun, requiring at least four to six hours of sunlight daily. Hardiness is another key attribute of this plant, as it is able to withstand the extreme minimum temperatures of zones 3-8, ensuring its perennial growth in these areas.
Furthermore, it is native to North America, emphasizing its adaptability and resilience. The Invincibelle® Ruby Smooth Hydrangea's combination of striking beauty, ease of care, and hardiness make it a valuable and captivating choice for gardeners looking to add a touch of elegance and color to their outdoor spaces.
- Visual Impact: Planting this hydrangea in groups can create a bold and dramatic visual impact, especially when its vibrant ruby red and silvery pink flowers are in full bloom.
- Cohesion: Mass plantings help to create a sense of cohesion and continuity in larger garden spaces, linking different areas of the landscape together.
- Focal Point: With its striking colors and medium size, the Invincibelle® Ruby can serve as a captivating focal point in diverse landscape settings.
- Balance and Harmony: The lush green foliage and vibrant blooms can bring balance and harmony to landscapes, complementing other plants and natural elements.
- Wildlife Attraction: As a native North American plant, it can help to attract local wildlife, contributing to the biodiversity of the area.
- Adaptability: Its ability to adapt to various conditions makes it a great choice for naturalizing in different types of environments.
- Fresh Bouquets: The beautiful blooms of this hydrangea make it a popular choice for cutting gardens, providing fresh material for bouquets and floral arrangements.
- Seasonal Interest: With its summer bloom time, it adds seasonal interest to cutting gardens, ensuring a steady supply of flowers during these months.
- Layering and Texture: This shrub can be used to add layering and texture to mixed borders, playing well with other perennials and shrubs.
- Color Contrast: Its unique two-toned flowers provide a striking contrast against green foliage, adding depth and interest to mixed borders.
Specimen or Focal Point:
- Stand-alone Beauty: Even when planted as a single specimen, the Invincibelle® Ruby commands attention with its beauty and grace.
- Versatility: Its mounded habit and manageable size make it versatile enough to shine in various garden settings, from more formal gardens to casual cottage settings.
- Location: Choose a site with part sun to full sun exposure, ensuring the plant receives at least four to six hours of sunlight each day.
- Soil: Plant in well-draining soil, as hydrangeas generally do not fare well in overly soggy conditions.
- Spacing: Ensure there is enough space between plants, ideally 2-3 feet apart, to allow for air circulation and proper growth.
- Planting Depth: Dig a hole as deep as the root ball and twice as wide, setting the plant in the hole so that the top of the root ball is level with the soil surface.
- Consistency: Keep the soil consistently moist, especially during the first growing season to establish a deep root system.
- Mulching: Apply a layer of mulch around the base of the plant to help retain soil moisture and prevent weeds.
- Time: Prune in early spring, just as the new growth begins to emerge.
- Method: Cut back the entire plant by about one-third of its total height. This encourages a strong, supportive base and promotes abundant new growth for plenty of flowers.
- When: Apply a balanced, slow-release fertilizer in early spring.
- Type: A rose fertilizer or a fertilizer formulated for flowering shrubs can be used.
- Deadheading: This variety does not require deadheading, as it is a continuous bloomer and rebloomer.
- Winter Protection: In colder climates (zones 3-5), consider providing winter protection to ensure the plant’s survival through harsh conditions.
Pest and Disease Management:
- Monitor: Keep an eye out for common hydrangea pests such as aphids and spider mites, as well as diseases like powdery mildew and leaf spot.
- Treatment: Treat any infestations or diseases promptly with appropriate organic or chemical solutions, as necessary.
General Care Tips:
- Sun Exposure: While this hydrangea can tolerate part sun, it will produce the biggest and most abundant blooms with at least six hours of sunlight each day.
- Soil Conditions: Ensure the soil is rich and retains moisture well, amending with organic matter if necessary.
- Plant Type: Shrub
- Watering Needs: Maintain average moisture levels; mulch soil to minimize water loss.
- Botanical Pronunciation: hye-DRAN-jee-uh ar-bo-RES-ens
- Deciduous/evergreen: Deciduous
- Growth rate: Medium
- Average landscape size: Reaches 3-4’ in height and 2-3’ in width.
- Special features: Award Winner, Continuous Bloom or Rebloomer, Deadheading Not Necessary, Native to North America
- Dramatic Foliage: No
- Foliage color: Green
- Blooms: Summer
- Flower color: Ruby red and silvery pink
- Flower attributes: Two-toned flowers, Showy Flowers
- Garden style: Cottage, Rustic, Traditional
- Design Ideas: Ideal for mass plantings, landscapes, naturalizing, and mixed borders. Works well in cutting gardens and adds a pop of color as a specimen or focal point.
- Companion Plants: Pairs well with other hydrangeas, perennial flowers, and various shrubs for a vibrant garden display.
Interested in a particular plant or have questions?
Please don't hesitate to contact us via this form or email, and we will reply as soon as possible.