AVN succeeds by helping you & your business succeed.
+100 years in the industry
The Invincibelle Sublime™ Smooth Hydrangea, scientifically known as Hydrangea arborescens, is a deciduous shrub that boasts a plethora of impressive attributes, making it a favorite among garden enthusiasts. This particular variety falls into the short height category, with a garden height ranging from 42 to 60 inches, and it requires a similar amount of space for its spread, ensuring a balanced and full appearance. The flowers of the Invincibelle Sublime™ are a captivating green, transitioning into a subtle pink shade, set against a backdrop of lush green foliage. This creates a harmonious color palette that is pleasing to the eye.
In terms of its growth habit, this hydrangea cultivar exhibits a mounded form, resulting in a rounded and lush appearance that adds structure and volume to garden spaces. It is versatile enough to play the role of a ‘thriller’ in container gardening, adding a striking focal point to such arrangements. When it comes to light requirements, the Invincibelle Sublime™ is quite adaptable, thriving in conditions ranging from part sun to full sun. This ensures that the plant can flourish in a variety of garden settings, making it a practical choice for diverse landscaping needs.
The Invincibelle Sublime™ Smooth Hydrangea (Hydrangea arborescens) is a versatile and striking plant that can be incorporated into various landscaping settings, enhancing the aesthetic appeal of any garden. Here are some of the ways this plant can be used in landscaping:
- Border Planting: With its robust size and lush foliage, the Invincibelle Sublime™ works exceptionally well as a border plant. It can be planted along the edges of garden beds or walkways, creating a defined and attractive boundary.
- Container Gardening: This hydrangea is suitable for container gardening, allowing it to be placed on patios, balconies, or other areas where ground planting is not an option. Its mounded growth habit ensures it maintains an attractive shape, even in a pot.
- Cut Flower Gardens: The large, showy flowers of the Invincibelle Sublime™ make it an excellent choice for cut flower gardens. The blooms can be cut and used in fresh floral arrangements, or dried for longer-lasting decorations.
- Dried Flower Arrangements: Beyond its use as a fresh cut flower, this hydrangea's blooms maintain their appeal even when dried, making them a popular choice for dried flower arrangements.
- Edging Plant: This plant’s manageable size and lush appearance make it an excellent option for edging along garden beds, paths, or driveways, adding structure and color.
- Landscape Planting: The Invincibelle Sublime™ can be used as a focal point in landscape plantings, drawing the eye with its large, vibrant blooms and dark green foliage.
- Mass Planting: For a dramatic display of color and texture, this hydrangea can be planted in masses, creating a sea of green and pink in the garden.
- Specimen Plant: Due to its striking appearance and robust size, the Invincibelle Sublime™ works well as a specimen plant, showcased on its own to highlight its unique characteristics.
- Wildlife Garden: As a native North American plant, the Invincibelle Sublime™ can be incorporated into wildlife gardens, providing habitat and resources for local fauna.
- Perennial Gardens: This hydrangea’s season-long interest and compatibility with other perennials make it a great addition to perennial gardens, where it can provide height, texture, and color.
- Cottage Gardens: The lush, romantic appearance of the Invincibelle Sublime™ lends itself well to cottage garden settings, where it can contribute to a relaxed, charming atmosphere.
- Urban Gardens: Even in urban settings, this hydrangea can thrive, bringing a touch of nature and color to city landscapes.
- Coastal Gardens: Given its hardiness and adaptability, the Invincibelle Sublime™ can be used in coastal gardens, where it can add beauty and resilience to the landscape.
- Themed Gardens: This plant can be incorporated into various themed gardens, such as native plant gardens, pollinator gardens, or even rain gardens, depending on the specific garden conditions and goals.
- Foundation Plantings: The Invincibelle Sublime™ can be used as part of foundation plantings, helping to anchor a home to the landscape and providing year-round interest.
Site Selection: Choose a location that receives part sun to full sun, with at least 4-6 hours of sunlight daily. The plant is adaptable but thrives best in well-draining soil enriched with organic matter.
Soil Preparation: Before planting, incorporate compost or well-rotted manure into the soil to improve its structure and fertility. Ensure the soil is well-draining to prevent waterlogging.
Planting: Dig a hole as deep as the root ball and 2-3 times as wide. Remove the plant from its container, gently loosen the roots, and place it in the hole, making sure the top of the root ball is level with the soil surface. Fill in around the root ball with soil, firming it down as you go. Water thoroughly after planting.
Watering: Keep the soil consistently moist, especially during the first growing season as the plant establishes its roots. Water deeply once a week, or more frequently during periods of extreme heat or drought.
Mulching: Apply a 2-3 inch layer of mulch around the base of the plant to help retain soil moisture, suppress weeds, and regulate soil temperature.
Fertilizing: In early spring, apply a slow-release fertilizer formulated for flowering shrubs, following the package instructions. Alternatively, use a balanced organic fertilizer.
Pruning: Prune in early spring, just as the new growth begins to emerge on the stems. Remove any dead wood and cut back the entire plant by about one-third of its total height to encourage robust new growth and abundant blooming.
Pest and Disease Management: Keep an eye out for common hydrangea pests such as aphids, spider mites, and scale insects. Treat as necessary with insecticidal soap or neem oil. To prevent fungal diseases, ensure good air circulation around the plant and avoid overhead watering.
Winter Care: In colder regions (zones 3-5), consider providing winter protection by covering the base of the plant with extra mulch or burlap. In spring, remove any winter damage and prune as needed.
Long-Term Care: The Invincibelle Sublime™ Smooth Hydrangea is a low-maintenance plant, but regular monitoring and care will keep it thriving. Watch for any signs of stress or disease, and address issues promptly to ensure the plant’s long-term health and beauty.
By following these planting and care guidelines, you can ensure that your Invincibelle Sublime™ Smooth Hydrangea will provide a stunning display of lush foliage and vibrant blooms for many seasons to come. Enjoy the unique beauty and resilience of this exceptional hydrangea variety in your garden landscape.
- Plant Type: Shrub
- Watering Needs: The Invincibelle Sublime™ Smooth Hydrangea requires an average amount of water, but it’s important to keep the soil consistently moist, especially in the hotter months. Mulching around the base of the plant can help retain soil moisture.
- Botanical Pronunciation: hye-DRAN-jee-uh ar-bo-RES-enz
- Deciduous/evergreen: Deciduous
- Growth rate: This shrub exhibits a moderate growth rate, ensuring a full and lush appearance without becoming overly cumbersome in the garden.
- Average landscape size: The mature size of the Invincibelle Sublime™ is impressive, reaching heights and spreads of 3'6" to 5'.
- Special features: The plant is notable for its usage in borders, containers, as a cut or dried flower, for edging, in landscapes, mass plantings, and as a specimen or focal point.
- Dramatic Foliage: The very dark green foliage of this hydrangea provides a striking backdrop to the vibrant blooms, ensuring a dramatic visual display.
- Foliage color: Green
- Blooms: Summer through Fall
- Flower color: Green transitioning to Pink
- Flower attributes: The large, mophead flowers of the Invincibelle Sublime™ are undoubtedly showy, drawing attention and admiration from onlookers.
- Garden style: This hydrangea is versatile enough to fit into contemporary, cottage, and rustic garden styles with ease.
- Design Ideas: The Invincibelle Sublime™ works beautifully in mixed borders, cottage gardens, and as a standalone specimen. Its robust size and vibrant blooms make it a focal point in any setting. Plant in groups for a lush, vibrant display, or use as a backdrop to highlight other plants in your garden.
- Companion Plants: Consider pairing with other native plants or perennials that enjoy similar light and water conditions, such as Black-eyed Susan, Coneflower, or other varieties of Hydrangea for a stunning and harmonious garden display.
Interested in a particular plant or have questions?
Please don't hesitate to contact us via this form or email, and we will reply as soon as possible.