AVN succeeds by helping you & your business succeed.
+100 years in the industry
The Invincibelle Wee White® Smooth Hydrangea (Hydrangea arborescens) distinguishes itself with a multitude of captivating attributes, presenting a harmonious blend of aesthetic appeal and resilient nature. This deciduous shrub, standing proudly at a short stature of 12 to 30 inches in both height and spread, forms a neat, mounded silhouette, offering a lush backdrop of green foliage to its radiant white blooms. The flowers, commencing their show in the warmth of summer, continue to grace gardens with their presence well into the fall, ensuring a long-lasting visual delight. The plant demonstrates a strong preference for part sun to full sun conditions, thriving under the optimum amount of sunlight which ensures the sturdiest stems and most prolific blooming.
Maintenance is refreshingly easy, with the hydrangea requiring just a simple pruning each spring, wherein about one-third of its height is trimmed back to encourage new, vibrant growth. A 2-3 inch layer of shredded bark mulch proves beneficial, catering to the plant’s preference for shallow roots, while the option of an early spring fertilization with a granular formula adds an extra boost to its overall vigor. Its hardiness zones stretch from 3a to 8a, testifying to its ability to adapt and flourish in a diverse range of climates. Not just limited to visual charm, the Invincibelle Wee White® also claims a native status in North America, bringing a piece of the natural wild into cultivated garden spaces.
The Invincibelle Wee White® Smooth Hydrangea offers a plethora of landscaping uses, showcasing its versatility and beauty across various garden settings. Here’s a detailed look at how this charming shrub can be utilized:
With its compact size and rounded shape, the Invincibelle Wee White® serves as an excellent choice for border planting. Whether lining a walkway, framing a garden bed, or defining the edges of a landscape, this hydrangea adds a neat and orderly appearance, complemented by its lush foliage and abundant blooms.
Perfect for those with limited space or for adding height and interest to patios and decks, this hydrangea thrives in containers. Its manageable size ensures it doesn’t overwhelm the space, while its continuous blooms provide a long-lasting visual treat.
Cut Flower Gardens
The robust blooms of the Invincibelle Wee White® make it a favorite for cut flower gardens. The flowers, once cut, hold their shape and color well, making them ideal for bouquets and floral arrangements, bringing the beauty of the garden indoors.
Dried Flower Arrangements
Beyond their fresh appeal, the blooms of this hydrangea also lend themselves to dried flower arrangements. Their ability to retain shape and a muted version of their color when dried adds a rustic and lasting charm to any decorative setup.
When used as an edging plant, the Invincibelle Wee White® adds a touch of elegance and structure to garden beds and pathways. Its mounded growth habit ensures a tidy appearance, while the white blooms provide a striking contrast against green foliage or mulched areas.
This hydrangea stands out as a beautiful specimen or focal point in the landscape. Whether planted singly to draw the eye or grouped for a more impactful display, it adds a sense of allure and sophistication to the garden.
For a breathtaking sea of white blooms, utilizing the Invincibelle Wee White® in mass plantings is an excellent option. This approach maximizes the visual impact of its flowers, creating a stunning and immersive garden experience.
As a specimen plant, this hydrangea showcases its unique beauty and charm, serving as a living piece of art in the landscape. It commands attention, celebrating the simplicity and elegance of its blooms and foliage.
With its numerous landscaping uses, the Invincibelle Wee White® Smooth Hydrangea proves to be a versatile and enchanting addition to any garden, adaptable to various roles while consistently delivering beauty and interest throughout the growing season.
The Invincibelle Wee White® Smooth Hydrangea (Hydrangea arborescens) is a charming and resilient shrub, renowned for its ease of care and versatile nature. To ensure its optimal growth and blooming potential, here’s a comprehensive guide on planting and care:
- Location: Choose a site with part sun to full sun exposure, ensuring it receives at least 4-6 hours of sunlight daily. In hotter climates, providing afternoon shade is beneficial.
- Soil: The hydrangea prefers well-draining soil, enriched with organic matter. It can tolerate a range of soil pH but thrives in slightly acidic to neutral conditions.
- Planting Depth and Spacing: Dig a hole as deep as the root ball and two to three times as wide. Set the plant in the hole, ensuring the top of the root ball is level with the soil surface. Space the plants 24-36 inches apart to allow for proper air circulation and growth.
- Watering: After planting, water thoroughly to settle the soil around the roots. Establish a regular watering schedule, ensuring the soil remains consistently moist, especially during dry periods.
- Sunlight: Provide a minimum of 4-6 hours of bright sunlight each day for robust growth and abundant blooming.
- Watering: Maintain consistent soil moisture, watering regularly to prevent the soil from drying out completely. Mulching around the base of the plant helps retain soil moisture and suppress weeds.
- Pruning: In early spring, as new growth begins to appear, prune the plant back by about one-third of its total height. This encourages fresh growth and maximizes bloom production.
- Fertilizing: If desired, apply a granular fertilizer formulated for woody plants, like a rose fertilizer, in early spring.
- Mulching: A 2-3 inch layer of shredded bark mulch around the base of the plant helps retain moisture, protect the shallow roots, and suppress weed growth.
- Protection: Although hardy in zones 3-8, providing winter protection in the form of mulch or burlap wrapping in colder zones helps ensure the plant’s vitality.
Pest and Disease Management:
Regularly inspect the plant for signs of pests and diseases. The Invincibelle Wee White® is relatively disease-resistant, but keeping the foliage dry and ensuring proper air circulation helps prevent issues like powdery mildew.
By following these planting and care guidelines, the Invincibelle Wee White® Smooth Hydrangea is sure to thrive, providing a spectacular display of delicate blooms and lush foliage throughout the growing season.
- Plant Type: Shrub
- Watering Needs: Average water needs; water regularly, ensuring the soil does not dry out completely.
- Botanical Pronunciation: hye-DRAN-jee-uh ar-bo-RES-sens
- Deciduous/evergreen: Deciduous
- Growth rate: Moderate
- Average landscape size: Matures to a height and spread of 12 - 30 inches.
- Special features: Award Winner, Continuous Bloom or Rebloomer, Long Blooming, Deadheading Not Necessary, Native to North America
- Dramatic Foliage: No
- Foliage color: Green
- Blooms: Summer through Fall
- Flower color: White (starts as a soft blush pink)
- Flower attributes: Long Bloom Season, Showy Flowers
- Garden style: Cottage, Informal, Traditional
- Design Ideas: Ideal for foundation plantings, flower beds, or as a charming border. Its compact size and continuous blooming make it perfect for small gardens and container gardening. Add to a wildlife garden to attract pollinators or use in a mass planting for a stunning display of white blooms.
- Companion Plants: Pairs well with other shade-loving plants like hostas, ferns, and astilbes. For a contrast in color and texture, try planting alongside purple coneflowers or black-eyed Susans.
Interested in a particular plant or have questions?
Please don't hesitate to contact us via this form or email, and we will reply as soon as possible.