AVN succeeds by helping you & your business succeed.
+100 years in the industry
Juke Box® xPyracomeles is an exceptional evergreen shrub, noteworthy for its unique blend of characteristics that make it a versatile and attractive choice for gardeners. This plant boasts a lustrous green foliage which remains vibrant throughout the year, contributing to its visual appeal in a variety of garden settings. The leaves are notably shiny, adding a texture that is both elegant and eye-catching.
In terms of growth, Juke Box® exhibits a mounded habit, naturally forming a rounded shape that is both compact and manageable. It typically reaches a height and spread of 12 to 36 inches, making it an ideal choice for small to medium-sized garden spaces. This size also allows for easy incorporation into various garden designs, whether as a standalone specimen, in a mass planting, as a border plant, or even in containers.
Juke Box® xPyracomeles is a versatile and attractive evergreen shrub that offers a multitude of landscaping uses. Here are some of the key ways this plant can be utilized in garden and landscape designs:
- Hedge or Border: Its compact and mounded growth habit makes it ideal for creating low hedges or borders in garden beds. It can neatly define spaces without overshadowing other plants.
- Container Planting: Juke Box®'s size and evergreen nature make it perfect for container gardens, where it can add structure and year-round interest.
- Edging Plant: It works wonderfully as an edging plant along walkways or garden paths, providing a tidy, structured look.
- Groundcover: When planted in mass, it can serve as an effective and attractive groundcover, especially in larger garden areas.
- Landscape Focal Point: As a standalone specimen, Juke Box® can be a focal point in small garden spaces or in mixed beds, offering a unique texture and glossy foliage.
- Mass Planting: It can be used in mass plantings to create a uniform, lush green area in the landscape, ideal for foundational plantings or large-scale ground cover.
- Mixed Borders: Its versatility allows it to blend seamlessly into mixed borders with other shrubs, perennials, and ornamental grasses, contributing to a diverse garden tapestry.
- Formal and Informal Gardens: Juke Box® is suitable for both formal and informal garden settings, thanks to its neat appearance and easy maintenance.
- Urban and Small Space Gardening: Its modest size makes it suitable for urban gardens and small spaces where larger shrubs might be overwhelming.
- Topiary or Shaped Plantings: For those who enjoy shaping and training plants, Juke Box® can be an excellent candidate for topiary or other shaped plantings, as it responds well to pruning.
Overall, Juke Box® xPyracomeles is a highly adaptable plant that can fit into various landscape styles, from traditional to contemporary, and can be used in numerous ways to enhance garden aesthetics and functionality.
Planting and caring for Juke Box® xPyracomeles involves a few straightforward steps, ensuring that this evergreen shrub thrives in your garden. Here's a detailed guide:
- Choosing the Location: Select a spot where the plant will receive part sun to full sun. It's adaptable to various lighting conditions but thrives best with adequate sunlight.
- Soil Preparation: Juke Box® isn't overly picky about soil but prefers well-drained soil. Amend the planting area with compost or other organic matter to enhance drainage if necessary.
- Planting Depth and Spacing: Dig a hole as deep as the root ball and twice as wide. Space the plants 12 to 36 inches apart, depending on how dense you want the planting to be.
- Planting Process: Remove the plant from its container and loosen the roots gently. Place it in the hole, ensuring it's at the same depth it was in the pot. Fill the hole with soil and press down firmly.
- Watering After Planting: Water the plant thoroughly after planting to settle the soil around the roots and eliminate air pockets.
Care and Maintenance:
- Watering: Water regularly to establish the plant. Once established, Juke Box® is quite drought-tolerant but benefits from occasional watering, especially in extreme heat or when planted in containers.
- Fertilizing: Feed with a general-purpose fertilizer in early spring, following the product instructions.
- Pruning: Pruning is not typically necessary for this plant. However, if you wish to shape it or maintain a certain size, prune in the spring after new growth has emerged but before it becomes woody.
- Mulching: Apply a layer of mulch around the base of the plant to help retain soil moisture and suppress weeds.
- Winter Care: Juke Box® is hardy in USDA zones 7 through 9. In the colder parts of its range, provide some winter protection, such as mulching around the base.
- Pest and Disease Management: This shrub is resistant to pests and diseases. However, keep an eye out for common garden pests and treat them as necessary.
Following these planting and care guidelines will help ensure that your Juke Box® xPyracomeles grows healthy and adds beauty to your garden for many years.
- Plant Type: Shrub
- Watering Needs: Average; adaptable to normal garden watering regimes
- Botanical Pronunciation: Jook-Box Py-rah-co-ME-les
- Deciduous/Evergreen: Evergreen
- Growth Rate: Moderate
- Average Landscape Size: Grows to a height and spread of 12 - 36 inches
- Special Features: Border Plant, Container, Edging Plant, Groundcover, Landscape, Mass Planting, Foliage Interest
- Foliage Color: Lustrous Green
- Blooms: Not known for flowers, grown for foliage
- Foliage Attributes: Very glossy leaves with a distinctive texture
- Garden Style: Suitable for a variety of garden styles due to its versatile nature and appealing texture
- Design Ideas: Ideal for use as a low hedge, in mixed borders, or as a neat, structured element in both formal and informal gardens. Its shiny, fine-textured foliage adds elegance to container plantings and small space gardens.
- Companion Plants: Can be paired with a variety of plants; particularly complements flowering perennials and other shrubs that contrast its texture and color.
Interested in a particular plant or have questions?
Please don't hesitate to contact us via this form or email, and we will reply as soon as possible.