AVN succeeds by helping you & your business succeed.
+100 years in the industry
The Kodiak® Orange Diervilla, scientifically known as Diervilla x, is a remarkable shrub native to North America. It's a versatile plant that thrives in various light conditions, from full shade to full sun. During the summer and fall seasons, it graces gardens with its bright yellow flowers and glowing orange foliage, respectively.
This deciduous shrub boasts a medium height, typically reaching between 36 to 48 inches, with a similar spread. It's perfect for both mass plantings and as a border plant, thanks to its mounded habit and spacing requirement of 48 to 60 inches. Beyond its aesthetic appeal, the Kodiak® Orange Diervilla is a favorite among garden enthusiasts for its resilience. It's drought-tolerant, can flourish in dry shade, and is adaptable to various soil types.
When it comes to maintenance, it's relatively easy to care for. An annual trim during spring, coupled with a controlled-release fertilizer, will keep it in top shape. Moreover, its vibrant yellow flowers are a magnet for bees, butterflies, and hummingbirds, while its natural compounds deter deer. A notable point is that even though it's sometimes referred to as the "bush honeysuckle," this Diervilla variety is not invasive, setting it apart from certain honeysuckle species. All these attributes make the Kodiak® Orange Diervilla a valuable and eco-friendly addition to any garden landscape.
- Border Plant: Its medium height and consistent growth make the Kodiak® Orange Diervilla an excellent choice for garden borders. Its vibrant foliage and bright yellow flowers can define the boundaries of a garden space while adding aesthetic appeal.
- Mass Planting: Due to its striking fall foliage and summer blooms, planting this shrub in mass can create a visually appealing drift of color, especially in autumn.
- Erosion Control: The Kodiak® Orange Diervilla's root system can help in stabilizing soil, making it useful for areas prone to erosion, such as slopes or banks.
- Drought Tolerant: This shrub is adaptable to various soil conditions, including dry ones. It's an excellent choice for xeriscaping or gardens in regions with water restrictions.
- Foliage & Fall Interest: With its glowing orange fall foliage, this plant can be a focal point in autumn-themed gardens or landscapes aiming to have year-round interest.
- Naturalizing: Being native to North America, it's perfect for natural landscapes or wild gardens, where minimal care and a more organic look is desired.
- Container Planting: While primarily used for landscapes, its mounded habit and vibrant colors make it suitable for large containers or pots, especially when looking to add height and interest.
- Wildlife Garden: The bright yellow flowers attract pollinators like bees, butterflies, and hummingbirds, making it a valuable addition to wildlife or pollinator gardens.
- Eco-Friendly Alternative: Its radiant orange foliage in the fall provides an eco-friendly alternative to plants like the burning bush, offering similar visual appeal without the invasiveness.
- Planting Location: Choose a spot that caters to its light requirements, which can range from full shade to full sun. Remember, while it can adapt to various light conditions, some sun exposure will bring out its best color.
- Soil Preparation: While the Kodiak® Orange Diervilla is adaptable to various soil types, it's always beneficial to prepare the soil with organic matter or compost to enhance its fertility and drainage.
- Planting: Dig a hole twice the width of the root ball and as deep. Place the shrub in the hole, ensuring the top of the root ball is level with the ground surface. Fill the hole with soil, press down gently, and water thoroughly.
- Watering: Water the plant regularly after planting to help establish roots. Once established, it's drought-tolerant, requiring occasional watering. However, in extreme heat or if planted in containers, increase the frequency of watering.
- Mulching: Apply a layer of mulch around the base of the shrub. This helps retain soil moisture, suppress weeds, and protect the roots during extreme temperatures.
- Fertilizing: In spring, apply a controlled-release fertilizer to promote healthy growth and vibrant blooms. Follow the manufacturer's instructions for application rates.
- Trimming: Trim the shrub in spring to maintain its shape and encourage new growth. This is also the ideal time to remove any dead or damaged branches.
- Pests and Diseases: While Kodiak® Orange Diervilla is generally pest-resistant, always monitor for common garden pests and treat them promptly. Ensure good air circulation and avoid waterlogged soil to prevent potential diseases.
- Special Note: The Kodiak® Orange Diervilla is deer-resistant, making it a great choice for areas with deer activity.
- Plant Type: Shrub
- Watering Needs: Adaptable to various soils, including dry ones. Water average; less frequent once established.
- Botanical Pronunciation: DY-er-VIL-luh
- Deciduous/evergreen: Deciduous
- Growth rate: Medium
- Average landscape size: Grows to a height of 3-4’ with a spread of 3-4’.
- Special features:
- Mass Planting
- Erosion Control
- Drought Tolerant
- Foliage Interest
- Fall Interest
- Dramatic Foliage: Glowing Orange Fall Foliage
- Foliage color: Green, Orange
- Blooms: Summer
- Flower color: Yellow
- Flower attributes: Bright yellow clusters
- Garden style: Contemporary, Rustic, Native
- Design Ideas: Perfect for naturalizing and mass plantings. Its radiant orange foliage lights up the autumn landscape, offering an ecofriendly alternative to the burning bush. Its bright yellow flowers in early summer further enhance its appeal, making it an excellent choice for challenging sites.
- Companion Plants: Pair with plants that contrast its vibrant fall colors, such as Blue Spruce, Purple Coneflower, or Lavender for a harmonious garden look.
Interested in a particular plant or have questions?
Please don't hesitate to contact us via this form or email, and we will reply as soon as possible.