AVN succeeds by helping you & your business succeed.
+100 years in the industry
The Kodiak® Red Diervilla is a deciduous shrub known for its robust nature and captivating aesthetics. Growing to a height of 3 to 4 feet and spreading out to 4 to 5 feet, this plant offers a vibrant display with its yellow flowers. Its foliage is a treat to the eyes, emerging burgundy in the spring and transforming to a vivid red in the fall. Adaptable to a range of light conditions, it thrives in everything from full shade to full sun, making it suitable for a variety of garden settings.
The Kodiak® Red is particularly hardy, flourishing in zones ranging from 4a to 7b. One of its admirable attributes is its low water requirement, coupled with easy maintenance. Gardeners can anticipate its beautiful blooms from summer through fall. An added ecological benefit is its ability to attract pollinators like bees and butterflies, while also exhibiting a resilience against deer. Native to North America, this shrub has earned its place in gardens not just for its beauty but also for its non-invasive nature. Often likened to "bush honeysuckle" due to its similarities, the Kodiak® Red stands out as a responsible and visually appealing choice for landscapes.
- Border Plant: Its medium height and vibrant foliage make it ideal for creating distinct borders in gardens or along pathways.
- Cut Flower: The long, straight stems and vibrant yellow flowers can be used in floral arrangements, adding natural beauty to indoor spaces.
- Edging Plant: Its mounded growth habit can provide a neat and colorful edge to garden beds or pathways.
- Screening: With its dense growth, it can serve as a natural screen or divider in a landscape, providing privacy or separating different garden areas.
- Landscape Focal Point: Its unique color transitions and continuous blooms make it a standout, allowing it to serve as a focal point in gardens or yards.
- Mass Planting: Planting multiple Kodiak® Red Diervillas en masse can create a stunning visual impact, especially during its bloom period.
- Specimen Plant: Its distinct attributes can be showcased when it's planted individually in a garden or lawn, drawing attention and appreciation.
- Site Selection: Choose a location that matches the plant's sunlight requirements, which is versatile ranging from full shade to full sun.
- Soil Preparation: While the Kodiak® Red Diervilla is adaptable to various soil types, including problem soils, a well-drained, moisture-retentive soil is ideal.
- Planting Depth: Set the plant at the same level it is at in the container.
- Spacing: Allow a spacing of 48 to 60 inches between plants to ensure proper growth and spread.
- Watering: After planting, water the shrub thoroughly to establish its roots in the new location.
- Watering: Diervilla is quite hardy, but regular watering, especially during dry periods, will help it thrive.
- Pruning: While the Kodiak® Red Diervilla doesn't require regular pruning, if it starts to appear sparse as it matures or to maintain a desired size, prune it in early spring. If rejuvenation is needed, it can be cut back to the ground in early spring for a fresh start.
- Winter Care: In colder zones, especially during its first winter if planted in the fall, consider mulching around the base to provide added protection against extreme temperatures.
- Growth Rate: The plant is known for its rugged and resilient growth, but the specific rate is not mentioned. Observing the plant over time will give a clearer indication.
- Soil Requirement: While it's tolerant of various soil conditions, ensure the soil remains well-drained. If the soil is too compacted or tends to retain too much water, consider amending it with organic matter or compost to improve drainage.
- Botanical Name: Diervilla sp. 'Kodiak Red'
- Form: Shrub
- Sun Exposure: Adaptable (Full Shade to Full Sun)
- Height/Habit: 36 - 48 inches
- Spread: 48 - 60 inches
- Spacing: 48 - 60 inches
- Hardiness Zone: 4a, 4b, 5a, 5b, 6a, 6b, 7a, 7b
- Flowering Date: Blooms summer through fall
- Planting Instructions: Set at the same level it is at in the container, firm, and water thoroughly. Diervilla needs very little care, but if pruning is desired, do so in early spring.
- Winter Care: None except to mulch in colder zones during its first winter if fall planted.
- Growth Rate: Not specifically mentioned, but it's known for its rugged and resilient growth.
- Shipping Season: Not specified
- Flower Color: Yellow
- Flower Form: Clusters of small yellow flowers.
- Foliage Type: Simple, mounded with a color transition from burgundy in spring to vivid red in fall.
- Pruning: Prune to maintain a desired size or to rejuvenate growth in spring.
- Soil Requirement: Thrives in various conditions, including problem soils, but well-drained soil is ideal.
Interested in a particular plant or have questions?
Please don't hesitate to contact us via this form or email, and we will reply as soon as possible.