AVN succeeds by helping you & your business succeed.
+100 years in the industry
This ornamental grass comes in a compact size. It will reach a height of 10-14” inches, and it has a spread of 10-14” inches. Like most types of fountain grasses, the Little Bunny has a clumping, fountain-like foundation. You will adore the look of the ribbon-shaped leaves and their dark green color throughout the growing season. Those leaves transform into a russet gold color during the fall. For the winter season, the foliage remains on the plant. For that reason, it is the ideal grass to add some winter interest into your landscape.
Along with the foliage, the Little Bunny sprouts an abundance of 3-inch plumes. These creamy flowers provide an attractive contrast to the dark green foliage. The delicate plumes begin to appear in late summer, and you can expect to see them until mid-fall.
If you want a great accent piece for your landscape, then the Little Bunny dwarf fountain grass is an excellent selection. For some additional color and texture, add this slow-growing grass to a rock garden. The wispy plumes and foliage are perfect contrasts to the harshness of the rocks. Since the Little Bunny stays compact, it is also an attractive addition to those small perennial beds. You can use it as a backdrop against a few brightly colored flowers. In those mixed plantings, the plumes’ soft texture brings out the colors of your other flowers. This fountain grass gives some character to all your gardens. With its compact size, the Little Bunny adds some grace to any space.
You might not think about it, but the Little Bunny is a great option to line a small border. When planted together, these ornamentals shine as a mass planting. The Little Bunny dwarf fountain grass also excels in your outdoor container gardens. For those containers, the Little Bunny is the perfect spiller in these pots. However, you need to give the Little Bunny plenty of room to grow. These grasses should be spaced about 20 to 24 inches from the center of each plant.
As you can tell, the Little Bunny dwarf fountain grass is an exceptional addition to any area in your yard. They can even spruce up those indoor spaces. If you want to boost your dried flower arrangements, the plumes can be clipped off and used for these projects.
It is not difficult to care for the Little Bunny. This ornamental grass prefers to be planted in full sun, but it can tolerate partial shade areas. You want to choose a location that has good drainage. However, this grass does well in moist soil. You should also select a rich soil for this fountain grass. This ornamental grass can withstand any level of pH in the soil.
This ornamental grass has average water needs. However, if you plan to transplant the grass, it needs plenty of water to establish in your landscape. You should water thoroughly for the first four to six weeks. Once the Little Bunny has matured in your landscape, it is tolerant of droughts. Before new growth starts to emerge in the spring, you may want to cut back the plant. You can also apply fertilizers to the grass during the springtime.
The Little Bunny dwarf fountain grass is the smallest of these ornamentals. In the late summer, you can appreciate the light-colored blooms. This fountain grass is the ideal accent for rock gardens, perennial beds, and shrubs. In the fall, the Little Bunny continues to delight with its golden russet autumn foliage. If you want to add the Little Bunny Dwarf fountain grass to your inventory, make sure to reach out to Arbor Valley Nursery. We have a large assortment of products, including the Little Bunny. You can learn more about this beautiful dwarf fountain grass by filling out the contact form.
- Watering Needs: Once established, water occasionally; more in extreme heat or containers.
- Botanical Pronunciation: pen-i-SEE-tum al-o-pe-kur-OH-deez
- Deciduous/evergreen: Herbaceous
- Growth rate: Slow
- Average landscape size: Slowly reaches 10 to 12 in. tall and wide.
- Special features: Clump Forming, Dwarf Plant, Easy Care, Fall Color, Tolerates Alkaline Soil, Waterwise, Bird Friendly
- Dramatic Foliage: Color, Easy Care
- Foliage color: Green
- Blooms: Spring, often repeating in fall.
- Flower color: White
- Flower attributes: Showy Dwarf Grass
- Garden style: Asian/Zen, Cottage
- Design Ideas: Now small gardens and courtyards can enjoy the beautiful fountain-like flowers of Fountain Grass. Plant as an accent with mixed perennials. Ideal for dry stream beds and around rocks in natural or wild gardens. Perfect next to water gardens, where it won’t overwhelm the scheme. Grow in distressed cast iron, bronze or copper containers on porch, patio, balcony, or perched on low walls.
- Companion Plants: Blanket flower, Salvia, Sedum, Tickseed, Yarrow
Interested in a particular plant or have questions?
Please don't hesitate to contact us via this form or email, and we will reply as soon as possible.