AVN succeeds by helping you & your business succeed.
+100 years in the industry
The Lotty's Love® Rose is an exquisite plant that showcases a charming blend of beauty, resilience, and versatility, which places it as a prime candidate for both novice and expert gardeners alike. This perennial plant is scientifically known as Rosa rugosa 'BOC rogosnif' and is a part of the Rosaceae family.
The Lotty's Love® Rose is renowned for its captivating blooms that are characteristically large and showy. These flowers, typically blooming in a stunning hue of light pink, are mildly fragrant and evoke a sense of calm and tranquility. They bloom generously throughout the summer months and into early fall, adding continual interest and color to any garden landscape. The glossy, dark green foliage that accompanies these blooms further enhances the visual appeal of the plant, creating a perfect backdrop for the delicate flowers.
Physically, the Lotty's Love® Rose typically reaches a height of about 3 to 3.5 feet with a similar spread, making it an ideal choice for medium to large-sized gardens, borders, or as standalone specimens. Its relatively compact size also makes it suitable for container gardening. It's a robust plant that displays good disease resistance, a feature that makes it an excellent selection for those seeking low-maintenance rose varieties.
This rose thrives best in well-drained soil with a good mix of sand, silt, and clay. Like most roses, the Lotty's Love® Rose prefers a location with full sun exposure, ideally at least six hours of direct sunlight each day, but it can tolerate partial shade. Regular watering is crucial, especially during dry spells, but overwatering can lead to issues like root rot.
As a perfect addition to any romantic or cottage-style garden, the Lotty's Love® Rose is not only visually striking but also adds a sense of serenity and elegance. Its attributes make it a popular choice for floral arrangements, bouquets, or even as a thoughtful gift for a loved one.
The Lotty's Love® Rose, with its stunning blooms and attractive foliage, lends itself to various landscaping applications. Here are a few ways you can incorporate this exquisite plant into your garden or landscape design:
- Border Planting: Given their moderate size, these roses are perfect for border planting. They can provide a vibrant, fragrant edge along pathways or around garden beds, presenting an inviting walkway for visitors. Pair them with other perennials or shrubs for a multi-layered effect.
- Foundation Planting: The Lotty's Love® Rose can serve as a fantastic foundation plant around homes or buildings. Their sturdy nature and continuous blooming throughout the summer add a constant touch of color and texture to these often neglected spaces.
- Specimen Planting: Thanks to their captivating, large blooms and charming foliage, these roses can work beautifully as standalone specimens, providing an alluring focal point in any garden landscape.
- Container Gardening: The Lotty's Love® Rose's compact size makes it ideal for container gardening. You can position pots on patios, balconies, or entrances for an instant pop of color. This is especially useful for those with limited gardening space.
- Rose Garden: Incorporate the Lotty's Love® Rose into a rose garden, where its light pink blossoms can provide an attractive contrast to other rose varieties with different colors and forms.
- Cottage Gardens: The Lotty's Love® Rose is a perfect addition to a cottage garden style with its romantic, classic rose appearance. It complements many traditional cottage garden plants like lavender, delphinium, and foxglove.
- Cut Flower Garden: Given their beautiful form and pleasant fragrance, these roses make for excellent cut flowers. Cultivate them in a designated cut flower garden, so you always have fresh, beautiful blooms for your indoor arrangements.
- Wildlife Garden: Roses are a great addition to a wildlife garden as they attract a range of pollinators, including bees and butterflies. The Lotty's Love® Rose can provide both nectar and habitat for these beneficial insects.
Roses like the Lotty's Love® appreciate well-drained soil and a sunny location for optimum growth and blooming.
Planting and taking care of the Lotty's Love® Rose requires a combination of the right location, proper soil preparation, and ongoing maintenance. Here are the steps to ensure your rose thrives:
- Location: Choose a location that receives at least six hours of direct sunlight each day. While the Lotty's Love® Rose can tolerate partial shade, full sun encourages the most robust growth and abundant flowering.
- Soil Preparation: Roses prefer well-drained soil rich in organic matter. Prior to planting, it's a good idea to improve your garden soil by adding compost or well-rotted manure. This will enhance the soil's fertility and drainage, providing a good foundation for your rose.
- Planting: Dig a hole that is wide and deep enough to accommodate the root system of the rose. Place the rose in the hole, ensuring that the bud union (if it's a grafted rose) is level with or slightly above the ground. Backfill the hole with the improved soil, firming it gently around the base of the rose.
- Watering: The Lotty's Love® Rose requires regular watering, particularly during dry periods. However, avoid overwatering as this can lead to root rot. A good rule of thumb is to water deeply but less frequently to encourage the development of a robust root system.
- Fertilizing: Feed your rose in early spring when new growth starts to appear, using a rose-specific fertilizer. Follow this up with additional feedings after each bloom cycle to promote continuous flowering throughout the season. Always follow the instructions on the fertilizer package.
- Pruning: Prune your Lotty's Love® Rose in late winter or early spring before new growth starts but after the risk of a hard freeze. Remove dead, damaged, or crowded branches to maintain the shape of the plant and to promote better air circulation, which can help prevent disease.
- Disease and Pest Control: Although the Lotty's Love® Rose is known for its disease resistance, still monitor the plant for common rose problems like blackspot, powdery mildew, and aphids. Use appropriate fungicides or insecticides if necessary, and consider implementing preventive treatments in regions where these issues are common.
- Mulching: Apply a layer of mulch around the base of the rose to help retain soil moisture, suppress weeds, and regulate soil temperature. Remember to leave a gap around the stem to prevent potential issues with rot.
With these measures in place, the Lotty's Love® Rose can add beauty and elegance to your garden for many years.
- Height: 3-3.5'
- Width: 3.5-4'
- Hardiness Zone: 3-10
- Heat Zone: 10
- Exposure: Full Sun
- Habit: Upright Oval
Interested in a particular plant or have questions?
Please don't hesitate to contact us via this form or email, and we will reply as soon as possible.