AVN succeeds by helping you & your business succeed.
+100 years in the industry
The Lotus Moon™ Pearlbush, known botanically as Exochorda x macrantha 'Bailmoon', is a deciduous shrub highly sought after for its unique and exquisite attributes. With a striking appearance, this exceptional plant boasts a profusion of stunning pearl-like buds that transform into dazzling white blooms during spring. These blossoms, resembling the ethereal beauty of lotus flowers, create a mesmerizing spectacle that adds elegance and charm to any garden or landscape.
One of the most captivating attributes of the Lotus Moon™ Pearlbush is its adaptability to various growing conditions. Thriving in USDA hardiness zones 3-7, this resilient plant can tolerate a wide range of temperatures, making it a versatile choice for gardens across different regions. The Pearlbush prefers well-drained, slightly acidic to neutral soil, and enjoys full sun to partial shade exposure. When provided with the right conditions, the Lotus Moon™ Pearlbush can reach a mature height of 5-6 feet (1.5-1.8 meters) and a spread of 4-5 feet (1.2-1.5 meters), making it a perfect addition as a focal point or specimen plant.
The compact, rounded growth habit of the Lotus Moon™ Pearlbush makes it an ideal candidate for small gardens and urban landscapes. Its dense branching structure allows it to serve as an attractive privacy screen or border. The arching branches, adorned with deep green foliage, provide an interesting contrast to the vibrant white blooms, creating visual interest throughout the year. In addition to its aesthetic appeal, the Pearlbush is also a low-maintenance plant, requiring minimal pruning to maintain its shape and health.
Besides its ornamental value, the Lotus Moon™ Pearlbush provides ecological benefits as well. The fragrant blooms are known to attract pollinators such as bees, butterflies, and hummingbirds, which contribute to a healthy garden ecosystem. Furthermore, the Pearlbush can serve as a nesting site and shelter for small birds, promoting biodiversity and fostering a harmonious relationship between flora and fauna.
The Lotus Moon™ Pearlbush is a versatile and attractive shrub that can be utilized in various landscaping designs due to its stunning appearance, low maintenance requirements, and adaptability. Some of the plant landscaping uses for the Lotus Moon™ Pearlbush are:
- Focal point: With its abundant, showy white flowers and compact growth habit, the Lotus Moon™ Pearlbush makes an excellent focal point in a garden or landscape design.
- Mixed border: Plant the Pearlbush alongside other flowering shrubs, perennials, and annuals to create a diverse and visually appealing mixed border.
- Foundation planting: The Pearlbush can be used as part of foundation plantings around homes or other structures to soften the appearance of the building and provide year-round interest.
- Wildlife garden: As a nectar-rich plant, the Lotus Moon™ Pearlbush can attract pollinators like bees and butterflies, making it an excellent addition to a wildlife-friendly garden.
- Informal hedge: Plant several Lotus Moon™ Pearlbushes in a row to create an informal hedge or screen, offering privacy while maintaining an attractive appearance.
- Container gardening: Due to its compact size, the Pearlbush can also be grown in large containers on patios or balconies, adding a splash of color and texture to these spaces.
- Erosion control: The Lotus Moon™ Pearlbush's dense root system helps stabilize soil and prevent erosion on slopes or banks.
- Cottage gardens: The Pearlbush's charming and delicate flowers make it an ideal addition to a cottage-style garden.
- Mass planting: Plant multiple Pearlbushes together to create a striking mass planting in larger garden beds or along pathways.
- Zen or minimalist gardens: The Pearlbush's simple yet elegant beauty makes it a great choice for creating a serene, minimalist landscape.
The Lotus Moon™ Pearlbush is a relatively low-maintenance plant, making it suitable for various garden settings. Here are some planting and care guidelines to help your Pearlbush thrive:
- Location: Choose a location with full sun to partial shade. Although the Pearlbush can tolerate some shade, it will produce more flowers in sunnier conditions.
- Soil: Plant your Pearlbush in well-draining soil with a pH ranging from 6.0 to 7.0. The plant can tolerate a variety of soil types, including loamy, sandy, and clay soils.
- Planting: Space the plants about 4 to 6 feet apart to give them room to grow and develop a proper shape. Dig a hole that is about twice the width of the root ball and as deep. Place the plant in the hole, ensuring the top of the root ball is level with the soil surface. Fill the hole with soil, gently firming it around the roots, and water thoroughly to help the plant establish.
- Watering: Water the Pearlbush regularly during the first growing season to help it establish a deep and extensive root system. Once established, the plant is moderately drought-tolerant, but it's still best to provide consistent moisture, especially during hot, dry periods.
- Fertilizing: Apply a slow-release, balanced fertilizer in early spring before new growth begins. Follow the product's label instructions for application rates.
- Pruning: Prune the Pearlbush in early spring before new growth emerges. Remove any dead or damaged branches, and thin out crowded stems to improve air circulation and maintain the plant's natural shape. You can also cut back up to one-third of the older stems to encourage more vigorous growth and flowering.
- Mulching: Apply a 2-3 inch layer of organic mulch, such as bark chips or shredded leaves, around the base of the plant to help conserve moisture, suppress weeds, and maintain soil temperature. Be sure to keep the mulch a few inches away from the stem to prevent rot and disease.
- Pest and disease management: The Lotus Moon™ Pearlbush is relatively pest and disease-resistant. However, monitor for common issues such as aphids, scale insects, and fungal diseases. If problems arise, treat them with appropriate methods, such as insecticidal soap, horticultural oil, or fungicides, following label instructions.
- Height: 4-5'
- Width: 3-4'
- Hardiness Zone: 3-7
- Heat Zone: 7
- Exposure: Full Sun
- Habit: Upright, Rounded
- Flower Color: White
- Foliage: Dark Green
Interested in a particular plant or have questions?
Please don't hesitate to contact us via this form or email, and we will reply as soon as possible.