AVN succeeds by helping you & your business succeed.
+100 years in the industry
The Mandarin Tango® Potentilla, scientifically known as Potentilla fruticosa 'Jefman', is a beautiful shrub with striking ornamental features that make it a standout in many gardens. This variety of Potentilla, native to the northern hemisphere, is cherished for its vibrant and long-lasting flowers, hardy nature, and its ability to thrive in a wide range of conditions.
The Mandarin Tango® Potentilla is most renowned for its brilliant orange flowers, a unique characteristic that distinguishes it from most other Potentilla species that commonly exhibit yellow or white flowers. The vibrant orange blooms, which typically appear from late spring to the first frost in autumn, offer an appealing contrast to the soft green, pinnate foliage. Each flower has five petals, providing a simple yet stunning appearance, and they're known to attract a variety of pollinators, including bees and butterflies.
In terms of growth habit, the Mandarin Tango® Potentilla is a compact, mounding deciduous shrub. It typically grows to a height and spread of 2 to 3 feet, making it an ideal choice for borders, rock gardens, or as a ground cover. This shrub is characterized by its dense branching, providing a lush look even when not in bloom.
One of the key attributes of the Mandarin Tango® Potentilla is its resilience. It is known for its adaptability to different soil types, including clay, loamy, or sandy soils. It performs well in a wide range of pH levels, whether acidic or alkaline. The plant prefers full sun for optimal flowering but can tolerate partial shade. Moreover, it is also known for its drought tolerance once established, making it a low-maintenance choice for many gardeners. It's also winter hardy and can withstand cold temperatures, further showcasing its versatility and robustness.
The Mandarin Tango® Potentilla's vibrant orange flowers, compact and dense growth habit, and remarkable adaptability to a wide range of conditions make it a versatile and attractive addition to various garden landscapes.
The Mandarin Tango® Potentilla's unique attributes make it a highly versatile plant for various landscaping applications. Here are a few ways it can be used:
- Border Planting: With its compact, mounding form, the Mandarin Tango® Potentilla is an excellent choice for border planting. Its vivid orange flowers provide a striking contrast against other plants, helping to define edges and boundaries in a garden.
- Mass Planting: When planted in large numbers, these shrubs create an impressive display of color. This is particularly effective in large gardens or public parks, where they can be used to fill in large areas or to create a vibrant ground cover.
- Rock Gardens: The Mandarin Tango® Potentilla's ability to adapt to different soil conditions makes it a great choice for rock gardens. Its bright flowers and lush foliage provide a pleasing contrast to rocks and stones.
- Foundation Plantings: Due to its compact size, this Potentilla variety can be used effectively for foundation plantings, softening the lines of buildings and providing an appealing visual base.
- Wildlife Gardens: The vibrant flowers of the Mandarin Tango® Potentilla are attractive to pollinators such as bees and butterflies. Planting this shrub in a wildlife garden can help support local ecosystems.
- Containers and Patio Pots: Given its modest size and compact growth habit, this Potentilla variety works well in containers or patio pots. It's a great way to add a splash of color to a patio, balcony, or other small outdoor spaces.
- Slope and Erosion Control: Its hardy nature and ability to establish quickly make it a good choice for controlling erosion on slopes and banks.
In all, the Mandarin Tango® Potentilla is a versatile plant that can be used in various ways to enhance the aesthetics and functionality of different landscapes. Its vibrant color, resilience, and relatively low maintenance requirements make it a popular choice among gardeners and landscapers.
Planting and caring for the Mandarin Tango® Potentilla is quite straightforward, given its adaptable and resilient nature. Here are some guidelines to follow:
- Site Selection: Choose a site with full sun to light shade. While the plant can tolerate partial shade, it will bloom more profusely in full sun. The soil can be sandy, loamy, or clayey, but should be well-drained.
- Spacing: Since Mandarin Tango® Potentilla grows to a width of about 2 to 3 feet, space plants accordingly to allow for healthy growth and air circulation. A spacing of about 3 feet apart should be adequate.
- Planting: Dig a hole twice as wide and about the same depth as the root ball. Place the plant in the hole so that the top of the root ball is level with the soil surface. Backfill with soil, firming gently around the base of the plant.
- Watering: While the Mandarin Tango® Potentilla is drought-tolerant once established, it will require regular watering during its first growing season to help the root system develop. Once established, water moderately, making sure the soil doesn't become waterlogged.
- Fertilizing: This plant doesn't require a lot of feeding. However, you can apply a slow-release, general-purpose fertilizer in early spring to promote healthy growth and flowering.
- Pruning: Potentilla blooms on new wood, so the best time to prune is late winter or early spring before new growth begins. Pruning helps maintain the plant's shape and encourages more vigorous growth and flowering.
- Pest and Disease Control: Mandarin Tango® Potentilla is relatively disease and pest resistant. However, keep an eye out for common issues like powdery mildew or leaf spots. In case of a severe infestation, use a suitable fungicide or insecticide, following the manufacturer's instructions.
- Mulching: Apply a layer of mulch around the base of the plant to help conserve moisture, suppress weeds, and regulate soil temperature.
In summary, while the Mandarin Tango® Potentilla is a hardy and low-maintenance plant, proper planting and care will help ensure it thrives and provides an attractive display of color in your garden.
- Height: 2-3'
- Width: 2-3'
- Hardiness Zone: 2-6
- Heat Zone: 6
- Exposure: Full Sun
- Habit: Upright Rounded
- Flower Color: Orange
- Foliage: Bright Green
Interested in a particular plant or have questions?
Please don't hesitate to contact us via this form or email, and we will reply as soon as possible.