AVN succeeds by helping you & your business succeed.
+100 years in the industry
The Miss Ruby Butterfly Bush (Buddleia 'Miss Ruby') is a tall deciduous shrub that can reach heights between 48 to 60 inches, and it needs a spacing of 60 to 72 inches in your garden. It features vibrant green leaves and eye-catching fuchsia-pink flowers. This bush has an upright growth habit and is well-suited for containers, where it takes on a central role, adding beauty with its striking appearance and fragrant blooms. It's an excellent choice to add a bold and colorful focal point to your garden or containers.
Miss Ruby Butterfly Bush (Buddleja 'Miss Ruby') is a versatile plant for your garden. It's great for perennial beds, where its bright pink blooms attract butterflies and hummingbirds. It fits well in mixed borders, growing at a moderate rate without overshadowing other plants. You can also plant it near your doors or windows to enjoy its pleasant smell, and even in small city gardens, it won't take up too much space. It can handle partly sunny spots, making it good for planting near big trees. Plus, it adds a touch of elegance to Southern and Victorian-style gardens. It not only looks good but also helps local wildlife by attracting pollinators. Whether you want a lively flower bed, a nice-smelling entryway, or a bit of class in your garden, Miss Ruby Butterfly Bush is a flexible and eco-friendly choice for your landscaping.
Planting and caring for the Miss Ruby Butterfly Bush (Buddleja 'Miss Ruby') is relatively straightforward. To start, choose a sunny spot in your garden with at least six hours of sunlight each day. Make sure the soil is well-draining, as these plants don't like standing water. Planting early in the growing season is a good practice, giving the bush ample time to establish itself before winter. Space multiple bushes about 5 feet apart to allow for proper growth.
Once planted, provide consistent moisture, especially during the hot summer months. Water deeply but avoid overwatering, as the plant prefers average moisture levels. In spring, wait until you see new growth before pruning, as some winters may require you to cut it back to the ground, while milder winters may not require much pruning at all. Feeding with a balanced fertilizer in early spring can promote healthy growth and blooms. Miss Ruby is known for its resistance to deer, but keep an eye out for potential pest issues like aphids, which can be treated with insecticidal soap if necessary. With proper care, this butterfly bush will reward you with vibrant blooms and attract beautiful wildlife to your garden.
- Watering Needs: This shrub prefers regular watering, ideally on a weekly basis, and more frequent watering during periods of extreme heat.
- Botanical Pronunciation: BUD-LEE-uh miss ROO-bee
- Plant type: Shrub
- Deciduous/evergreen: Deciduous
- Growth rate: Moderate
- Average landscape size: Moderate growing; reaches 4 to 5 feet tall and wide.
- Dramatic Foliage: The leaves are a vibrant green.
- Foliage color: Green
- Blooms: Blooms appear on new growth in early summer, mid-summer, and late summer.
- Flower color: Brilliant pink with a fuchsia shade.
- Flower attributes: Fragrant and showy.
- Garden style: Versatile, suitable for various garden styles including cottage, wildlife, and pollinator gardens.
- Design Ideas: Perfectly suited for perennial beds, wildlife gardens, and mixed borders. It's an excellent choice to attract butterflies and hummingbirds. This shrub also adds vibrant color and fragrance to your garden, making it an ideal focal point or backdrop for other plants.
Interested in a particular plant or have questions?
Please don't hesitate to contact us via this form or email, and we will reply as soon as possible.