AVN succeeds by helping you & your business succeed.
+100 years in the industry
The Oso Easy® Cherry Pie Rose (Rosa x) boasts a multitude of attributes that make it a highly desirable plant for gardeners and landscape enthusiasts. As a deciduous shrub, it reaches a mature height and spread of 2 to 4 feet, forming a mounded shape that is both graceful and compact. This makes it an excellent choice for a variety of garden settings, including borders, mass plantings, and mixed landscapes.
One of the most striking features of this rose is its vibrant flower color. The blooms are a rich cherry red, creating a stunning visual impact throughout its flowering season. These flowers are not only beautiful but also long-blooming, ensuring a display of color from early to late summer. Additionally, the plant is known for its continuous bloom or rebloom capability, which means it keeps producing flowers throughout the season without the need for deadheading.
The Oso Easy® Cherry Pie Rose, with its vibrant cherry red blooms and glossy green foliage, offers versatile landscaping uses:
- Mass Plantings: Due to its uniform growth and vibrant color, it's perfect for creating impactful mass plantings. When planted in large numbers, these roses create a stunning sea of red that can become the focal point of any garden.
- Mixed Borders: Its moderate size and mounded habit make it ideal for mixed borders. It pairs beautifully with a variety of perennials and other shrubs, adding color and texture to the border.
- Foundation Plantings: This rose can be used near the foundation of a house or building, providing a splash of color against typically plain backgrounds.
- Cottage Gardens: The Oso Easy® Cherry Pie Rose fits perfectly into the informal and colorful style of cottage gardens, blending in with a mix of flowers, herbs, and other shrubbery.
- Container Gardening: Its manageable size makes it suitable for container gardening, allowing it to be featured on patios, balconies, or terraces.
- Pathways and Walkways: Planting these roses along pathways or walkways can create an inviting and colorful journey through the garden.
- Wildlife Gardens: The flowers can attract pollinators like bees and butterflies, making it a valuable addition to wildlife or natural gardens.
- Urban Landscaping: Due to its disease resistance and low maintenance, it is well-suited for urban landscapes where low-care yet attractive plants are appreciated.
- Hedges: Although not a traditional hedge plant, when planted in a row, these roses can form a low, informal hedge that adds color and interest to the landscape.
- Slopes and Banks: Their root systems can help with erosion control on slopes and banks, while their flowers add aesthetic value to these challenging areas.
Each of these uses capitalizes on the Oso Easy® Cherry Pie Rose's beauty, durability, and ease of care, making it a versatile choice for various landscape designs.
Caring for and planting the Oso Easy® Cherry Pie Rose involves several key steps to ensure its healthy growth and vibrant blooms:
- Timing: Plant in spring or early fall to allow roots to establish before extreme temperatures.
- Location: Choose a site with full sun exposure (at least 6 hours of sunlight daily) for optimal blooming.
- Soil: Prefers well-draining soil. Amend with organic matter if necessary to improve drainage and fertility.
- Spacing: Plant 2-4 feet apart to allow for mature growth and air circulation, reducing the risk of disease.
- Planting Depth: Dig a hole as deep as the root ball and twice as wide. Set the plant in the hole so the top of the root ball is level with the soil surface. Backfill and firm the soil gently.
- Regular watering is essential during the first growing season to establish a deep, extensive root system.
- Once established, the plant has average water needs and can tolerate some dry spells.
- In extreme heat or when in containers, increase watering frequency.
- Apply a controlled-release fertilizer in early spring to promote healthy growth and abundant flowering.
- Pruning is generally not necessary for Oso Easy® roses.
- If desired, shape the plant in spring, but avoid heavy pruning.
- Deadheading is not required as this variety is a continuous bloomer.
Disease and Pest Control:
- The Oso Easy® Cherry Pie Rose is highly disease-resistant, reducing the need for chemical treatments.
- Regular monitoring for pests and diseases is still recommended. Treat infestations early with appropriate methods if they occur.
- In colder zones (4-5), provide winter protection such as mulching the base of the plant.
- In warmer zones, standard winter care (removal of any fallen leaves or debris around the plant) is sufficient.
By following these care instructions, your Oso Easy® Cherry Pie Rose should thrive and provide beautiful blooms throughout the summer. Remember, the key to a healthy plant is a combination of proper planting, adequate watering, and occasional feeding, along with monitoring for any potential issues.
- Plant Type: Shrub
- Watering Needs: Average water requirements; consistent moisture helps, but well-drained soil is essential. More water may be needed in extreme heat or when planted in containers.
- Botanical Pronunciation: ROH-zuh
- Deciduous/Evergreen: Deciduous
- Growth Rate: Moderate
- Average Landscape Size: Reaches a height and spread of 2-4 feet, forming a mounded shape.
- Special Features: Border Plant, Landscape, Mass Planting, Continuous Bloom/Rebloomer, Long Blooming, Disease Resistant, Heat Tolerant, Salt Tolerant, No Deadheading Necessary
- Dramatic Foliage: Glossy green foliage
- Foliage Color: Green
- Blooms: Summer (Early, Mid, Late)
- Flower Color: Cherry red
- Flower Attributes: Showy, bright red flowers with yellow stamens
- Garden Style: Cottage, Traditional, Urban/Modern
- Design Ideas: Ideal for mass plantings, mixed borders, and as a focal point in a landscape. Its vibrant color makes it a great choice for adding a pop of color to any garden setting. Can be used alongside paths and walkways or in container gardens for visual interest.
- Companion Plants: Complements other roses, perennials, and small shrubs; can be paired with plants like Lavender, Catmint, and Salvia for a stunning display.
Interested in a particular plant or have questions?
Please don't hesitate to contact us via this form or email, and we will reply as soon as possible.