AVN succeeds by helping you & your business succeed.
+100 years in the industry
The Oso Easy® Fragrant Spreader Rose is a distinguished variety of Rosa x, renowned for its unique and attractive attributes. This deciduous shrub is characterized by its medium height, typically growing to a garden height of 12 to 24 inches. It boasts a considerable spread of 48 to 60 inches, making it an excellent choice for covering large ground areas.
The plant's visual appeal is heightened by its beautiful pink flowers, which add a splash of color to any garden setting. These flowers not only offer aesthetic beauty but also emit a delightful fragrance, contributing to a sensory garden experience. The foliage of this rose variety is equally impressive, with lush, dark green leaves that create a striking contrast against the pink blooms.
In terms of growth habit, the Oso Easy® Fragrant Spreader Rose has a spreading nature, which makes it a perfect candidate for use as a thrilling landscape element, especially in large spaces. Its robust growth and spreading habit also make it ideal for use in mass plantings, as a lawn substitute, or in rose gardens, particularly on banks, slopes, and other challenging terrains.
The Oso Easy® Fragrant Spreader Rose is highly versatile in landscaping, offering a range of uses that make it an excellent choice for various garden designs and purposes. Here are some of its primary landscaping uses:
- Ground Cover: With its spreading habit and dense foliage, it's ideal for covering large ground areas, providing a lush, fragrant carpet that adds beauty and color.
- Mass Planting: This rose variety is perfect for mass plantings, creating a visually impactful display of pink blooms and dark green foliage. It's particularly effective in large gardens or public spaces.
- Slope and Bank Stabilization: Its robust root system and spreading growth make it suitable for stabilizing slopes and banks, preventing soil erosion and adding aesthetic value.
- Lawn Substitute: In areas where traditional lawn may be difficult to maintain, the Oso Easy® Fragrant Spreader Rose can serve as a beautiful, low-maintenance alternative.
- Borders and Edging: It can be used along borders or as edging plants, defining garden paths or separating different areas in the garden.
- Rose and Cottage Gardens: This variety fits beautifully in rose gardens or cottage-style gardens, offering a more relaxed, informal look with its sprawling habit and profuse blooms.
- Container Gardening: While it's primarily known for its ground coverage, it can also be grown in large containers, where its cascading growth can be showcased on patios, balconies, or terraces.
- Wildlife Gardens: The plant attracts butterflies, making it an excellent choice for wildlife or pollinator gardens.
- Coastal Landscapes: Its salt tolerance makes it suitable for coastal areas, where it can thrive despite the challenging conditions.
- Mixed Shrub Borders: It can be combined with other shrubs and perennials in mixed borders, contributing color, texture, and fragrance to the overall design.
Overall, the Oso Easy® Fragrant Spreader Rose is a versatile plant that can be utilized in many different aspects of landscaping, fitting into various garden styles while providing ease of care, beauty, and functionality.
The Oso Easy® Fragrant Spreader Rose is known for its ease of care and planting, making it a great choice for both novice and experienced gardeners. Here are the key aspects of planting and caring for this plant:
- Timing: Plant in spring or early fall to allow time for the plant to establish roots before the extremes of winter or summer.
- Location: Choose a location with full sun exposure (at least 6 hours of sunlight daily). The plant can tolerate part sun but will bloom best in full sun.
- Soil Requirements: Prefers well-drained, moist soil. It’s adaptable to a range of soil types but avoid waterlogged conditions.
- Planting Depth and Spacing: Dig a hole as deep as the root ball and twice as wide. Space plants approximately 60-72 inches apart to allow for spreading.
- Watering After Planting: Water thoroughly after planting to settle the soil around the roots.
Care and Maintenance:
- Watering: Water the plants regularly during the first growing season to establish a deep, extensive root system. Once established, the plant is somewhat drought-tolerant but may need more frequent watering in extreme heat.
- Fertilizing: Apply a controlled-release fertilizer in early spring to support healthy growth and abundant flowering.
- Pruning: Generally, pruning is not needed. However, if desired, pruning can be done in early spring to shape the plant or manage its size.
- Disease Management: This variety is disease-resistant, reducing the need for chemical treatments. Regular monitoring and maintaining good air circulation around the plants can help prevent disease.
- Winter Care: In colder zones, apply a layer of mulch around the base of the plant in late fall to protect the roots from extreme cold.
- Avoid overhead watering to reduce the risk of leaf diseases.
- Deadheading is not necessary for this variety, as it is a continuous bloomer.
- Check periodically for pests and treat accordingly if any are found.
By following these simple planting and care instructions, the Oso Easy® Fragrant Spreader Rose will thrive, providing a beautiful display of fragrant, pink flowers and lush, dark green foliage.
- Plant Type: Shrub
- Watering Needs: Likes well-drained, moist soil but is tolerant of most soil conditions. Occasional watering is sufficient, with more needed in extreme heat or containers.
- Botanical Pronunciation: ROH-zuh
- Deciduous/evergreen: Deciduous
- Growth rate: Moderate to fast
- Average landscape size: Reaches a garden height of 12-24 inches with a spread of 48-60 inches.
- Special features: Landscape, Lawn Substitute, Mass Planting, Disease Resistant, Easy to Grow, Fragrant Flower, Continuous Bloom or Rebloomer, Long Blooming, Heat Tolerant, Deadheading Not Necessary, Salt Tolerant
- Foliage color: Dark Green
- Blooms: Mid Summer to Early Fall
- Flower color: Pink
- Flower attributes: Fragrant, Continuous Bloom or Rebloomer, Long Blooming
- Garden style: Cottage, Informal, Wildlife
- Design Ideas: Ideal for rose gardens, banks, slopes, and large area coverage. Can be used to create a fragrant, colorful ground cover or in mass plantings for a dramatic effect. Suitable for large landscape areas where a low-maintenance but visually striking plant is needed.
- Companion Plants: Pairs well with other low-maintenance, sun-loving perennials and shrubs that complement its height and spread. Ideal companions include lavender, salvia, and ornamental grasses for a varied yet harmonious garden design.
Interested in a particular plant or have questions?
Please don't hesitate to contact us via this form or email, and we will reply as soon as possible.