AVN succeeds by helping you & your business succeed.
+100 years in the industry
The Oso Easy® Paprika Rose is a deciduous shrub that exhibits a multitude of appealing attributes, making it a valuable addition to any garden. This variety is characterized by its medium height, growing to an ideal size of 12 to 24 inches in height, with a spread of 24 to 36 inches. It forms a mounded habit, which lends itself well to various landscaping uses, including as a filler in containers, in mixed borders, and beds, or planted near walkways and other tight spots due to its compact size.
The shrub boasts striking orange flowers, which create a vivid display against the backdrop of its dark green foliage. The foliage itself is a key feature, providing a lush and glossy texture that enhances the overall aesthetic of the plant. This rose is renowned for its continuous blooming ability, flowering from mid-summer into early fall without the need for deadheading.
The Oso Easy® Paprika Rose is a versatile shrub that can be utilized in various landscaping applications due to its compact size, vibrant color, and ease of care. Here are some of its primary landscaping uses:
- Mixed Borders and Flower Beds: Its bright orange blooms and dark green foliage make it an excellent choice for adding color and texture to mixed borders and flower beds. It can be planted alongside other perennials and shrubs to create a layered, multi-seasonal display.
- Low Hedge or Edging Plant: The Oso Easy® Paprika Rose's mounded habit and manageable size allow it to serve effectively as a low hedge or edging plant along walkways, garden paths, or borders. It provides a neat, colorful boundary without overpowering the space.
- Container Gardening: This rose is suitable for container gardening, where it can be a standalone feature or part of a mixed container display. Its compact growth habit makes it ideal for patios, balconies, and terrace gardens.
- Small Gardens and Tight Spaces: Due to its modest size, the Oso Easy® Paprika Rose is perfect for small gardens or tight spaces where larger plants would be impractical. It can bring color and life to small urban gardens, courtyards, or entryways.
- Accent or Specimen Plant: This rose can be used as a specimen plant due to its eye-catching color and continuous blooming. Planted individually or in groups, it can create focal points in the garden that draw the eye.
- Near Walkways and Seating Areas: Planting the Oso Easy® Paprika Rose near walkways or seating areas allows for close-up enjoyment of its flowers and fragrance. It's small enough to fit into narrow spaces yet showy enough to make an impact.
- Pollinator Garden: The flowers of the Oso Easy® Paprika Rose are attractive to pollinators, making it a good choice for a pollinator-friendly garden or a nature-inspired landscape.
These landscaping uses make the Oso Easy® Paprika Rose a flexible and appealing choice for a wide range of garden styles and designs, from traditional to contemporary, and for gardeners seeking a low-maintenance yet visually striking plant.
The Oso Easy® Paprika Rose is a resilient and low-maintenance plant, but it does require some specific care to ensure it thrives. Here's a guide to planting and caring for this beautiful shrub:
- Timing: The best time to plant the Oso Easy® Paprika Rose is in the spring or early fall, when the weather is cooler and the plant has time to establish its root system before the extremes of summer or winter.
- Location: Choose a location with full sun, as this rose needs at least six hours of sunlight each day for optimal blooming.
- Soil: It prefers well-draining soil. Amend heavy clay or sandy soils with compost to improve fertility and drainage.
- Planting Depth and Spacing: Dig a hole as deep as the root ball and twice as wide. Set the plant in the hole so the top of the root ball is level with the soil surface. Space plants 36 to 48 inches apart to ensure adequate air circulation.
- Watering: Water regularly to keep the soil evenly moist, especially during the first growing season to establish a deep, extensive root system. Once established, the plant has average water needs but may require more frequent watering in extreme heat or if planted in containers.
- Mulching: Apply a layer of mulch around the base of the plant to help retain soil moisture and regulate soil temperature.
- Fertilizing: Feed in early spring with a granular fertilizer formulated for roses or woody plants. Follow the instructions on the fertilizer package for application rates and frequency.
- Pruning: Prune in early spring. Cut the plant back by about half its total height to promote healthy new growth. The Oso Easy® series doesn't require intricate pruning; simply cutting back will suffice.
- Disease Management: Although this variety is disease resistant, good air circulation and proper spacing are crucial to prevent fungal diseases. Avoid overhead watering to keep the foliage dry.
- Winter Care: In colder regions (hardiness zones 3-5), apply a layer of mulch around the base of the plant after the ground freezes to protect the roots from extreme cold.
By following these planting and care instructions, your Oso Easy® Paprika Rose will be a robust and vibrant addition to your garden, providing a beautiful display of orange blooms from mid-summer to early fall.
- Plant Type: Shrub
- Watering Needs: Average; ensure regular watering, more in extreme heat or containers.
- Botanical Pronunciation: ROH-zuh sp.
- Deciduous/evergreen: Deciduous
- Growth rate: Moderate
- Average landscape size: Reaches 12-24 inches tall and 24-36 inches wide.
- Special features: Continuous Bloom/Rebloom, Long Blooming, Deadheading Not Necessary, Disease Resistant, Easy Care, Landscape, Container, Border Plant
- Foliage color: Green
- Blooms: Mid-summer to Early Fall
- Flower color: Orange
- Flower attributes: Long Blooming, Showy Flowers
- Garden style: Cottage, Rustic, Traditional
- Design Ideas: Ideal for mixed borders and flower beds, as a low hedge or edging plant, or in containers. Its compact size makes it suitable for planting in small gardens or near walkways. Can also be used as a colorful filler in container gardening.
- Companion Plants: Compatible with a variety of roses and perennials that enjoy similar sun and soil conditions. Good companions include lavender, salvia, and ornamental grasses for a vibrant and diverse garden display.
Interested in a particular plant or have questions?
Please don't hesitate to contact us via this form or email, and we will reply as soon as possible.