AVN succeeds by helping you & your business succeed.
+100 years in the industry
The Oso Easy® Urban Legend® Rose is a remarkable variety that boasts a range of impressive attributes, making it a top choice for gardeners. Its most striking feature is undoubtedly its vibrant floral display, characterized by true-red, semi-double flowers that bloom abundantly from early summer right up to the first hard frost. These flowers are not only visually stunning with their vivid red petals and bright yellow stamens but also attract a variety of pollinators, especially bees, enhancing the ecological health of the garden.
In terms of health and maintenance, this rose variety is highly prized for its disease resistance. It shows a remarkable resilience against common rose ailments like powdery mildew and black spot, which simplifies care and maintenance significantly. This aspect makes it particularly appealing to those who prefer a low-maintenance garden without compromising on the aesthetic appeal of their plants.
The Oso Easy® Urban Legend® Rose is versatile in its landscaping uses, making it a superb choice for various garden designs and purposes. Here are some of its key landscaping applications:
- Border Plant: Its moderate size and vibrant red blooms make it an excellent choice for garden borders. It can define garden spaces or pathways while adding a splash of color.
- Container Gardening: This rose is well-suited for container gardening, ideal for balconies, patios, or decks. Its upright growth habit and manageable size make it a perfect focal point in container arrangements.
- Screening: The shrub can be used for screening purposes in a garden, offering a natural and attractive way to create privacy or hide unsightly areas.
- Landscape Accent: As a specimen or focal point in a landscape, the Oso Easy® Urban Legend® Rose stands out due to its striking blooms and glossy green foliage. It can draw attention to specific areas in a garden.
- Mass Planting: Planting these roses in mass creates a dramatic and colorful impact. Large swathes of red roses can be a breathtaking sight in larger gardens or public spaces.
- Specimen Plant: Its unique and vivid appearance makes it a great specimen plant, perfect for showcasing in a prominent garden spot.
The Oso Easy® Urban Legend® Rose's ability to adapt to different landscaping needs, combined with its beauty and ease of care, makes it a valuable addition to a wide range of garden styles, from traditional cottage gardens to more modern, minimalist landscapes.
The Oso Easy® Urban Legend® Rose is known for its ease of planting and care, making it an excellent choice for both novice and experienced gardeners. Here's a guide to ensure its successful growth and maintenance:
- Site Selection: Choose a location with full sun exposure, as roses thrive in at least 6 hours of direct sunlight per day. Ensure the site has well-draining soil to prevent root rot.
- Soil Preparation: Amend the soil with compost or well-rotted manure to improve its fertility and drainage. Roses prefer a slightly acidic to neutral pH.
- Planting Depth and Spacing: Dig a hole large enough to accommodate the root ball. Plant the rose at the same depth it was in the container. Space plants 2'6" to 3'4" apart to allow for growth and air circulation.
- Watering: Water the plant deeply and thoroughly after planting. Ensure consistent moisture, especially during the first growing season, to establish a robust root system.
- Watering: Once established, the Oso Easy® Urban Legend® Rose requires average watering, with more frequent watering needed during periods of extreme heat or if planted in containers.
- Mulching: Apply a layer of mulch around the base of the plant to retain soil moisture, regulate soil temperature, and reduce weed growth.
- Fertilizing: Use a balanced, slow-release fertilizer formulated for roses in early spring, as new growth appears. Follow label instructions for application rates and frequency.
- Pruning: Prune in early spring, just as new growth begins. Cut back each stem to a strong, outward-facing bud, removing at least one-third of the height. This encourages healthy growth and flowering. Deadheading (removing spent flowers) is not necessary but can encourage more blooms.
- Disease and Pest Management: While the Oso Easy® Urban Legend® Rose is disease-resistant, it's still important to monitor for common pests and diseases. Good air circulation, full sun, and proper watering are key to preventing most problems. If issues arise, treat with appropriate fungicides or insecticides, following label directions.
- Winter Care: In colder zones (4-6), provide winter protection by applying a layer of mulch around the base of the plant after the ground freezes.
Following these planting and care guidelines will help your Oso Easy® Urban Legend® Rose thrive, providing a stunning display of blooms and enhancing the beauty of your garden.
- Plant Type: Shrub
- Watering Needs: Average water requirements; ensure well-watered, especially in extreme heat or when planted in containers.
- Botanical Pronunciation: RO-sah
- Deciduous/Evergreen: Deciduous
- Growth Rate: Moderate
- Average Landscape Size: Grows to a mature size of 2'6" - 3'4" tall and wide.
- Special Features: Border Plant, Container, Good for Screening, Landscape, Mass Planting, Specimen or Focal Point, Attracts Bees
- Dramatic Foliage: Glossy green foliage
- Foliage Color: Green
- Blooms: Summer through Fall
- Flower Color: Red
- Flower Attributes: Semi-double flowers with striking yellow stamens, Long Blooming, Continuous Bloom or Rebloomer
- Garden Style: Cottage, Traditional
- Design Ideas: Ideal for creating vibrant borders or as a standalone focal point in the garden. Its compact size makes it suitable for container gardening, adding a splash of color to patios and balconies. Can be used in mass plantings for a dramatic effect in larger gardens or landscapes.
- Companion Plants: Consider pairing with low-growing perennials or ornamental grasses that complement its red blooms and green foliage, enhancing the overall aesthetic of the garden space.
Interested in a particular plant or have questions?
Please don't hesitate to contact us via this form or email, and we will reply as soon as possible.