AVN succeeds by helping you & your business succeed.
+100 years in the industry
The Pinky Winky® Panicle Hydrangea is a deciduous shrub that boasts a multitude of noteworthy attributes, making it a treasured addition to any garden. Its robust nature is encapsulated in a tall stature, with both its height and spread reaching an impressive 6 to 8 feet, allowing it to make a substantial impact wherever it's planted. The shrub's foliage is a rich, dark green that serves as the perfect canvas for its distinctive flowers. These blooms are the true stars, with their two-toned pink and white hues. As the seasons transition from summer to fall, the florets at the base of each panicle begin to blush a lovely pink, while the tips remain a crisp white, creating a dynamic and striking floral display.
The Pinky Winky® Hydrangea's flowers are not only visually striking but also versatile, as they make excellent cut flowers that can be appreciated indoors or used in dried floral arrangements, extending their beauty beyond the garden. The plant's upright habit and the thrilling role it plays as a 'thriller' component in container gardening underscore its structural elegance.
The Pinky Winky® Panicle Hydrangea is a versatile shrub with a wide range of landscaping uses that capitalize on its striking appearance and ease of care. Here are some of the ways it can be used in landscape design:
- Specimen Planting: With its dramatic two-toned flowers and upright growth habit, Pinky Winky® can serve as a focal point in the landscape. It's particularly effective when placed in a spot where its late summer to fall blooming period can be appreciated.
- Mixed Borders: The shrub's height and spread make it ideal for the back of border plantings, providing a lush green backdrop in the spring and summer before transitioning to its colorful floral display.
- Foundation Planting: When planted along the base of a building, this hydrangea can help soften the architecture and add a splash of color to typically plain areas.
- Hedging and Screening: Planting a row of Pinky Winky® hydrangeas can create an informal hedge or screen that provides seasonal interest and privacy.
- Cutting Gardens: The flowers are not only beautiful on the bush but also make excellent fresh or dried cut flowers, making Pinky Winky® a good choice for a cutting garden.
- Mass Planting: Large plantings of this hydrangea can create a dramatic effect, with waves of pink and white blooms moving through the landscape.
- Container Planting: Though it's a large shrub, Pinky Winky® can be planted in larger containers to decorate patios, terraces, or balconies, where it can be enjoyed up close.
- Slopes and Banks: Its root system can help stabilize soil on slopes and banks, making it a functional as well as an ornamental choice.
- Woodland Gardens: The shrub's ability to thrive in part sun makes it suitable for dappled light conditions under the canopy of taller trees.
- Wildlife Gardens: Like many hydrangeas, Pinky Winky® can be a source of nectar for pollinators, adding to the biodiversity of a wildlife-friendly garden.
The landscaping uses of Pinky Winky® Hydrangea are nearly as abundant as its blooms, making it a valuable plant for both aesthetic and practical applications in a variety of garden settings.
Planting and caring for the Pinky Winky® Panicle Hydrangea (Hydrangea paniculata) involves a few key steps to ensure that it thrives in your garden and provides a beautiful display year after year.
- Location: Choose a location where the plant will receive full sun to partial shade. Morning sun with afternoon shade is ideal in warmer climates.
- Soil: Although adaptable, Pinky Winky® prefers well-draining, loamy soil. It can tolerate a range of soil types, including clay.
- Planting Depth and Spacing: Dig a hole as deep as the root ball and two to three times as wide. Space the plants 6 to 8 feet apart to allow for mature growth.
- Watering: After planting, water thoroughly to establish good root contact with the soil. Mulch around the base to retain moisture and regulate soil temperature.
- Timing: Plant in early spring or fall to avoid temperature extremes and to give the plant a chance to establish before the growing season.
- Watering: Water regularly during the first growing season to establish a deep root system. Once established, Pinky Winky® is somewhat drought-tolerant but benefits from occasional watering, especially during dry spells.
- Fertilizing: Apply a slow-release fertilizer specialized for trees and shrubs in early spring, following label instructions.
- Pruning: Since it blooms on new wood, prune in late winter or early spring before new growth begins. Cutting back about one-third of the plant will encourage strong stems and abundant blooms.
- Mulching: Apply a 2 to 3-inch layer of organic mulch around the base of the plant to help retain soil moisture and to protect the roots in colder regions.
- Pest and Disease Management: Keep an eye out for common hydrangea pests like aphids and mites, and diseases such as powdery mildew. Treat with appropriate fungicides or insecticides as necessary, or use organic alternatives for pest control.
- Winter Care: In colder zones, additional mulch can be added around the base after the ground freezes to provide extra insulation.
- Long-Term Maintenance: Older plants can be rejuvenated by removing a few of the oldest stems at ground level to stimulate new, more vigorous growth.
Following these planting and care instructions will help ensure that your Pinky Winky® Panicle Hydrangea remains a stunning feature in your landscape for many years. Its showy blooms, ease of care, and adaptability make it an excellent choice for both novice and experienced gardeners.
- Plant Type: Shrub
- Watering Needs: Prefers good, loamy soil; adaptable to many soils with moderate moisture required.
- Botanical Pronunciation: hy-DRAN-jee-uh pan-ih-cue-LAY-tuh
- Deciduous/evergreen: Deciduous
- Growth rate: Moderate
- Average landscape size: Reaches 6-8’ tall and 6-8’ wide at maturity.
- Special features: Border Plant, Cut Flower, Dried Flower, Landscape, Top Seller, Fall Interest, Drought Tolerant
- Dramatic Foliage: No; it has green foliage which provides a dark green backdrop to its two-toned flowers.
- Foliage color: Green
- Blooms: Mid-Summer to Early Fall
- Flower color: Two-toned pink and white
- Flower attributes: Huge, two-toned blooms
- Garden style: Cottage, Formal, Rustic
- Design Ideas: Pinky Winky® makes a stunning specimen plant in a mixed border. Its upright nature is ideal for creating vertical interest. This hydrangea also fits beautifully into cottage and formal garden designs. Consider planting it in groups to create a dramatic mass planting or as an individual to anchor smaller gardens and mixed beds.
- Companion Plants: Works well with a variety of plants, especially those with contrasting foliage or flower colors to highlight its two-toned flowers, such as Coneflowers, Black-eyed Susans, or Russian Sage.
Interested in a particular plant or have questions?
Please don't hesitate to contact us via this form or email, and we will reply as soon as possible.