AVN succeeds by helping you & your business succeed.
+100 years in the industry
The Plum Magic Crapemyrtle (Lagerstroemia 'Plum Magic') is a stunning ornamental plant, highly prized for its remarkable display of vibrant flowers and striking foliage. As a hybrid within the Lagerstroemia genus, this deciduous shrub or small tree offers a captivating mix of attributes that make it a highly sought-after addition to gardens and landscapes.
One of the most notable features of the Plum Magic Crapemyrtle is its showy, long-lasting blooms. From mid-summer to early fall, the plant produces clusters of vibrant magenta flowers that attract pollinators like bees, butterflies, and hummingbirds. These blossoms not only add a pop of color to the landscape, but also create a delightful contrast against the plant's rich, plum-colored foliage.
The Plum Magic Crapemyrtle typically reaching heights of 12 to 14 feet and widths of 8 to 10 feet. This plant is also known for its exfoliating bark, which peels away in thin layers to reveal a smooth, multicolored surface beneath. This adds an element of year-round interest to the garden.
In addition to its visual appeal, the Plum Magic Crapemyrtle is a hardy and low-maintenance plant. It is heat and drought tolerant, making it an ideal option for regions with hot summers or where water conservation is a concern. It thrives in USDA Hardiness Zones 7 to 9 and prefers well-draining, moderately fertile soil with a slightly acidic pH. For optimal growth and flowering, it is best to plant this Crapemyrtle in a location that receives full sun.
Overall, the Plum Magic Crapemyrtle offers a unique combination of attributes that set it apart from other landscape plants. With its vibrant flowers, distinctive foliage, and low-maintenance requirements, it is a versatile and attractive addition to any garden or landscape.
The Plum Magic Crapemyrtle is a versatile and attractive plant that can be used in various landscaping applications. Its compact size, eye-catching flowers, and colorful foliage make it an excellent choice for enhancing the beauty and functionality of outdoor spaces. Here are some popular landscaping uses for this captivating plant:
- Mixed borders: The Plum Magic Crapemyrtle's vibrant colors and compact size make it an excellent addition to mixed borders, where it can provide a striking contrast to other plants, such as evergreens or perennials.
- Foundation planting: This plant can be used as a foundation planting alongside homes or other structures, offering an attractive display of flowers and foliage while softening the appearance of buildings.
- Mass planting: Planting several Plum Magic Crapemyrtles together in a mass creates a visually stunning display of color, especially when they are in full bloom. This can be an effective way to add a vibrant focal point to a large garden or park.
- Specimen planting: As a standalone specimen, the Plum Magic Crapemyrtle can be the star of a small garden or landscape area. Its unique combination of flowers, foliage, and exfoliating bark provides year-round interest.
- Container planting: Given its compact size, the Plum Magic Crapemyrtle can be grown in large containers, making it a suitable option for patios, balconies, or other small outdoor spaces where planting in the ground may not be possible.
- Privacy screen or hedge: When planted in a row or staggered formation, this plant can create an informal, colorful hedge or privacy screen, providing a natural barrier between different areas of a landscape.
- Wildlife habitat: The vibrant flowers of the Plum Magic Crapemyrtle attract a variety of pollinators, such as bees, butterflies, and hummingbirds. By incorporating this plant into your landscape, you can create a more welcoming environment for these beneficial creatures.
With its numerous landscaping uses and visually appealing attributes, the Plum Magic Crapemyrtle is a fantastic addition to a wide range of garden designs and outdoor spaces. Its low-maintenance requirements and adaptability to various conditions make it a popular choice for both novice and experienced gardeners alike.
Planting and caring for a Plum Magic Crapemyrtle is relatively easy, making it a popular choice for gardeners of all skill levels. Here are some essential guidelines to help you establish and maintain a healthy, vibrant plant:
- Site selection: Choose a planting site that receives full sun (at least 6 hours of direct sunlight per day) to ensure optimal growth and flowering. The Plum Magic Crapemyrtle will also benefit from good air circulation to help prevent potential diseases.
- Soil preparation: This plant prefers well-draining, moderately fertile soil with a slightly acidic pH (between 5.5 and 6.5). Amend the planting site with organic matter, such as compost or well-rotted manure, to improve soil fertility and drainage.
- Planting: Dig a hole that is twice as wide and slightly deeper than the root ball of your Crapemyrtle. Gently loosen the roots, place the plant in the hole, and backfill with soil. Ensure that the top of the root ball is level with the surrounding soil. Water thoroughly to settle the soil and eliminate air pockets.
- Watering: The Plum Magic Crapemyrtle is drought-tolerant once established, but it is crucial to provide regular watering during the first year to promote strong root development. Water deeply and infrequently, allowing the soil to dry out slightly between waterings. Avoid overhead watering to minimize the risk of fungal diseases.
- Fertilization: Apply a slow-release, balanced fertilizer in early spring to encourage healthy growth and flowering. Follow the package instructions for proper application rates and avoid over-fertilizing, as this can lead to excessive growth and reduced flowering.
- Mulching: Spread a layer of organic mulch (such as shredded bark or wood chips) around the base of the plant to help retain soil moisture, suppress weeds, and regulate soil temperature. Keep the mulch a few inches away from the trunk to prevent moisture-related issues.
- Pruning: Prune the Plum Magic Crapemyrtle in late winter or early spring, before new growth begins. Remove any dead, damaged, or diseased branches, and thin out crowded growth to promote air circulation. For a more tree-like form, remove lower branches to expose the trunk.
- Pest and disease management: Monitor your plant for common pests such as aphids, scale insects, or Japanese beetles, and treat as needed with insecticidal soap or other appropriate methods. To prevent powdery mildew and other fungal diseases, ensure proper air circulation and avoid overhead watering.
- Height: 12-14'
- Width: 8-10'
- Exposure: Full Sun
- Hardiness Zone: 7-9
- Heat Zone: 9
- Shape: Upright rounded
- Flower Color: Bright Pink
- Foliage: Dark Green
Interested in a particular plant or have questions?
Please don't hesitate to contact us via this form or email, and we will reply as soon as possible.