AVN succeeds by helping you & your business succeed.
+100 years in the industry
The Psychedelic Sky™ Butterfly Bush (Buddleia davidii 'Psychedelic Sky') is an enchanting deciduous shrub known for its captivating display of color and unique attributes. This striking plant is a welcome addition to any garden, attracting butterflies and hummingbirds while adding a touch of whimsy and vibrancy to the landscape.
One of the most distinctive features of the Psychedelic Sky™ Butterfly Bush is its stunning flowers. The plant produces elongated, conical clusters of flowers called panicles, which can reach up to 8-10 inches in length. The blossoms boast a spectacular gradient of colors, ranging from deep indigo at the base to vibrant violet and then transitioning to a lighter lavender hue towards the tips. This remarkable color combination creates an almost ethereal effect, reminiscent of a surreal twilight sky.
The Psychedelic Sky™ Butterfly Bush is a moderate to fast-growing shrub, typically reaching heights of 6-8 feet and spreads of 4-6 feet at maturity. Its arching branches are adorned with lance-shaped, silver-green leaves that provide a lovely contrast to the vibrant floral display. The foliage is dense, providing a lush backdrop for the mesmerizing blooms and an ideal shelter for visiting butterflies and other pollinators.
This Butterfly Bush is not only visually appealing but also low-maintenance and easy to grow. It thrives in well-draining soil with full sun exposure, making it suitable for a wide range of climates and garden settings. The plant is drought-tolerant once established and requires minimal care, with the exception of occasional pruning to maintain its shape and encourage new growth. Additionally, the Psychedelic Sky™ Butterfly Bush is deer-resistant, making it an excellent choice for gardens frequented by wildlife.
The Psychedelic Sky™ Butterfly Bush is a versatile and visually stunning plant, making it an excellent choice for various landscaping uses. Here are some ways to incorporate this beautiful shrub into your garden or landscape design:
- Focal Point: The striking gradient of colors in the flower panicles makes the Psychedelic Sky™ Butterfly Bush an ideal focal point in the garden. Plant it in a central location or at the end of a garden path to create a mesmerizing visual anchor that draws the eye.
- Mixed Borders: Incorporate the Butterfly Bush into mixed borders alongside other flowering shrubs, perennials, and annuals to create a diverse and visually appealing display. The silver-green foliage and vibrant blooms will add texture, color, and contrast to any planting scheme.
- Butterfly and Hummingbird Garden: As the name suggests, the Psychedelic Sky™ Butterfly Bush is a favorite among butterflies and hummingbirds, making it a perfect addition to a pollinator-friendly garden. Plant it alongside other nectar-rich plants, such as coneflowers, bee balm, and salvia, to create a haven for these delightful creatures.
- Informal Hedge or Screen: Plant a row of Psychedelic Sky™ Butterfly Bushes to create an informal hedge or privacy screen. The dense foliage provides a natural barrier, while the captivating blooms add a touch of color and charm.
- Cottage Garden: The whimsical, romantic appearance of the Psychedelic Sky™ Butterfly Bush makes it well-suited for cottage-style gardens. Mix it with other traditional cottage garden plants like roses, delphiniums, and foxgloves to create a relaxed, enchanting space.
- Containers: For those with limited space or who prefer container gardening, the Psychedelic Sky™ Butterfly Bush can also be grown in large pots or planters. Place the containers on a sunny patio or deck to enjoy the captivating blooms and the butterflies they attract up close.
- Wildlife Habitat: The Psychedelic Sky™ Butterfly Bush's deer-resistant nature makes it an excellent choice for gardens frequented by wildlife. Incorporate it into a wildlife-friendly landscape to provide food and shelter for pollinators without attracting unwanted herbivores.
When incorporating the Psychedelic Sky™ Butterfly Bush into your landscape, remember to provide it with well-draining soil and full sun exposure to ensure its optimal growth and flowering potential.
Planting and caring for your Psychedelic Sky™ Butterfly Bush is relatively simple, as this plant is low-maintenance and adaptable. Here are some guidelines to help you ensure the successful growth and flowering of your Butterfly Bush:
- Planting Location: Choose a planting site with well-draining soil and full sun exposure, as the Psychedelic Sky™ Butterfly Bush thrives in sunny conditions. Ensure the location provides enough space for the mature plant size, with a spacing of at least 4-6 feet between plants.
- Soil Preparation: Before planting, prepare the soil by loosening it and incorporating organic matter, such as compost or well-rotted manure, to improve soil fertility and drainage. The ideal soil pH for the Butterfly Bush is between 6.0 and 7.0.
- Planting: Dig a hole twice as wide and just as deep as the root ball of your Psychedelic Sky™ Butterfly Bush. Gently remove the plant from its container, taking care not to damage the roots. Place the plant in the hole, ensuring that the top of the root ball is level with the surrounding soil. Fill in the hole with soil, gently firming it around the root ball to eliminate air pockets. Water thoroughly after planting to help settle the soil.
- Watering: During the first growing season, water the Butterfly Bush regularly to establish a deep, extensive root system. Once established, the plant is drought-tolerant and requires less frequent watering. However, it's essential to provide supplemental water during extended periods of drought or extreme heat.
- Fertilization: Apply a balanced, slow-release fertilizer in early spring to support healthy growth and flowering. Follow the package instructions for the appropriate application rate.
- Pruning: Prune your Psychedelic Sky™ Butterfly Bush in late winter or early spring before new growth begins. Remove any dead or damaged branches, and trim back the remaining stems to about 12 inches above the ground to encourage new, vigorous growth and a more compact form. Throughout the growing season, remove spent flower clusters to promote continuous blooming.
- Pest and Disease Management: The Psychedelic Sky™ Butterfly Bush is relatively pest and disease-resistant. However, keep an eye out for potential issues such as spider mites, aphids, or powdery mildew. Address any problems promptly with appropriate treatments, including insecticidal soap or horticultural oil for pests and fungicides for fungal diseases.
By following these planting and care guidelines, you'll be well on your way to enjoying a vibrant and healthy Psychedelic Sky™ Butterfly Bush in your garden, providing a stunning display of color and attracting butterflies and hummingbirds to your landscape.
- Height: 4-6'
- Width: 4-5'
- Hardiness Zone: 5-9
- Heat Zone: 9
- Exposure: Full Sun
- Habit: Upright
Interested in a particular plant or have questions?
Please don't hesitate to contact us via this form or email, and we will reply as soon as possible.